Completely off topic but places to eat in London

Just like to put a plug in for the lovely italian we went to  L'ulivo.  It's between Embankment and Charing Cross tube stations.  Prices seemed pretty reasonable - pizzas and pasta  were £15-£18, quality (so fresh!) and quantity were both excellent.  Service was good too!  

• Like 1

Thanks for that.  I know the place you mean and have often walked past but never been in.  To be honest, though, it sounds really expensive to me compared with some of the other good Italians in the area.  For what it's worth, if I wanted pizza nearby I would most likely head for Franco Manca on Maiden Lane (I gather there is now another branch nearby on Aldwych); if it was pasta I was after I would go to my new favourite, Bancone behind the Coliseum (who in fact fed me handsomely between double Manon on Friday).

• Like 1

Well two less places to eat in will now be both the Patisserie Valerie in Covent Garden....both the one in Bedford St and Longacre are to be among the 70 closures they have announce. Was only in the Bedford st one the other day 😢 Quite good for snacket type meals and the odd salad etc.

Interestingly I was looking to see if the one down near Palmeira Sq ....the Hove end of Brighton near my Pilates classes was closing....no mention of that but one in East St Brighton which I never knew existed!! 

Not both of them :(  - I'd assumed one would have remained open.  Now what am I going to do for ice creams (of the reasonably affordable variety)?

I really would like to throttle the selfish blighter who got them into this mess.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

For those who like tea a visit to Mariage Frere in King Street is a real treat but not inexpensive. I had the “gold cake” and it was delicious. Also by the ROH you can watch the chefs make the Portugese custard tarts and buy them fresh from the oven. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I LOVE those Portuguese tarts! Do you mean the chefs at Mariage Frere make them....not sure if you mean another place by the ROH! 

LinMM, I believe Shade is referring to the new pasteis de nata place on Russell Street, next to the ROH box office, where the preparation kitchen has a window onto the street.

https://www.coventgarden.london/cafes/santa-nata

• Like 1