Another abdication

Melody

Today (the 61st anniversary of the Queen's coronation) comes the news that King Juan Carlos of Spain will be following Queen Beatrix of The Netherlands and King Albert of Belgium into retirement. Not surprising after some of the sleazy stories that have come to light over the last year or two. There are also some pretty strong calls in Sweden for King Carl Gustaf to step down after various sex scandals, and there are rumours that Harald of Norway isn't well. Even in Denmark it seems as though people would like to see Queen Margrethe step down in favour of Crown Prince Frederik (and his photogenic family) even though she's popular.

At this rate Prince Charles will still be heir to the throne when he's older than every other monarch in Europe.

Edited by Melody

I've had a feeling for some time now that the Queen has decided to abdicate, based on her recent relaxed and happy manner.  She's made up her mind - it's settled and now she doesn't have to worry about anything any more.  Charles is my bet - he both deserves and doesn't deserve to be King;  he deserves it because he's waited so long, and he doesn't deserve it because it's a horrible job that nobody wants! 

I've had a feeling for some time now that the Queen has decided to abdicate, based on her recent relaxed and happy manner.  She's made up her mind - it's settled and now she doesn't have to worry about anything any more.   

I don't believe that's the position.  HMTQ has said a number of times that she intends to keep the promises she made in 1947 and, accordingly, will not abdicate.  I think HM is relaxed as she's in a sort of job-share with her eldest son!

• Like 3

I don't think the Queen will abdicate as she is all too aware of the damage that Edward VIII's abdication caused to the monarchy and to her own father's health. I appreciate that this would be a very different sort of abdication but I still don't think it will happen. And hope it doesn't!

• Like 2

I assume if the Queen was going to abdicate it'd have happened by now. I think if anything, they'll set up a regency rather than actually have her abdicate. Prince Charles is gradually taking on more of the responsibilities and things seem to be surviving pretty well.

Capybara, I totally agree that she seems to have relaxed a lot since the Queen Mother died. It's amazing to see the way she and Prince Philip just soldier on as though the years mean nothing to them.

So now on royalty forums they're more or less laying bets about whether it'll be Carl Gustaf or Harald who abdicates next. Never thought I'd live to see the day when monarchy was a job you just standardly retired from.

• Like 1

I agree that HMtheQ will never abdicate unless she feels she is no longer able to continue to perform her duties as Queen.  She made a promise at the age of 21, a promise she has repeated many times since, that she will serve her country for the duration of her life 'be it short or long'.  I am sure there are many times she would have liked to just throw in the crown, retire to Sandringham and Balmoral and walk her corgis and ride her horses.   The fact that she hasn't, and that she continues to perform hundreds of official functions a year at age 87, fills me with admiration.  Her sense of duty has always overridden everything else, at times to her detriment and that of her family, but the lady is tough and will never break her promise....even though she may be sorely tempted sometimes!

• Like 10