Nike Pointe shoes?!!

tomuchtallent

It might just be me (and my eyesight ;-) ) but in the last picture it looks like it is intended to go over the top of a traditional shoe. Could this benefit any dancers?? Has it been tested and if so who has been using it?

Pointe shoe manufacture has remained broadly quite traditional for the past 100 years or so with a few exceptions in materials used by a handful of makers,Gaynor,Capulet and Bloch spring to mind.

Anjuli - what are your thoughts.

They look absolutely hideous and have no backs to them! I can't imagine any young dreaming of pointe shoes would think of these! It seems to me that Nike have identified the pointe shoe market as being lucrative and have jumped on the bandwagon.

• Like 3

I agree Fiz they are hideous, they also look like they have a rubber ,trainer like sole yuk !!.Can't see anyone wanting to use them as decorative things when they are done . Call me old fashioned but there is something so beautiful about a good old fashioned pointe shoe I always feel like I am connected with the past and all those great dancers that inspired me to get up on pointe .

• Like 3

Firstly, whose idea was "ideation"? And next, as my technical adviser is away examining at present (and I'm sure she would hate them), I'll be interested in Anjuli's reaction to much of the photography used, given that "Ideation 2" makes quite a point about sickling.

Interesting that the designer is from the US and there are photos of students at Royal Scottish in the ad!

My first reaction was the compression of the Achilles Tendon under all the elastic but I suppose that's nonsense as traditional ribbons tie roughly in the same place.

Personally I'm not sure they will catch on too quickly ;)

Ideation is a legitimate word but is usually used in a professional setting such as psychiatry - when one is visualizing a concept. Personally, I don't like the word - but there it is.

As for the shoe - unfortunately, when I clicked on the link provided I got a big window saying I was using an outdated form of IE - so I was only able to see around that window. I will have to bring this to the attention of the Resident Technical Dept. (after he's had his breakfast).

From what I could see - it is not a shoe I would wear or trust my life to (because that is what the dancer does) on stage or even in a studio. I can't imagine doing a pirouette with a shoe with no back to it. Of jumping - or even allegro.

The backless shoe leaves the heel totally unprotected - making it vulnerable to bruising.

Where is the support for the instep/arch? I can't imagine that it is adequate if it does not connect to the heel.

Ribbons have a certain beauty to them - gracefully connecting the shoe to - not only the foot - but to the ankle.

Elastic, while stronger than a ribbon - does not have the possiblity of true relaxation. It will be exercising its "pull" even when the foot is relaxed - seeming to me to add stress to the vulnerable Achilles tendon. I could certainly be wrong - but that's how it seems.

I assume - should this shoe be produced - it will come in ballet pink. oy

I couldn't see what kind of materials went into the makeup of the shoe - but there is something to be said for the comforming quality of cloth, paste, and the various layers of maleable materials of which the traditional shoe is made. It not only allows the form of the shoe to change to accommodate the individual foot - it also allows the dancer to leeway to help in that formation.

Individualizing a shoe is very important to the dancer.

• Like 3