Hello adult newbie here with questions...

polishrose

It's a good kind of mad ;)

I have to update you all-all the stretches and releves and tendus and thera band stretches I have been doing at home are working wonders on my plantar fascitis-before I started this I couldn't put my weight down on my left heel-I would get up in the morning and hobble to the bathroom and be in pain all day, even when sitting...this morning I only limped for 3 steps and after that my heel was a dull ache rather than a sharp stabbing pain.Right now it isn't hurting at all sitting down, but is aching when I stand on it, but again it's a dull ache not a sharp pain...this is awesome!!!

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

I've been thinking about taking an adult beginners' ballet class for a couple of years now. Well, I've finally taken the plunge - last night, at the age of 55, I had my first lesson and loved it! For the benefit of anyone worrying that they're too old or too plump, I can assure you that it just doesn't matter. You won't be expected to do anything beyond your physical capabilities and you won't be learning alongside super-fit young sylphs with perfect turnout. See what's available locally and don't hesitate to sign up!

• Like 7

Such an interesting read here! I did ballet from age 19 until 28, and again from 37 to 39. Now I'm 52 but have some arthritis in my knees, so have just been walking, cycling, and doing home-based Pilates for my core. I had assumed my knees would stop me going back to ballet but now you've got me wondering if I can adapt things. The only problem I can see is remembering how much turnout/flexibility I once had and pushing things too much. Any advice from folk doing adult ballet with creaky old joints?

So glad you've taken the plunge Alice Shortcake. I'd wager £10 that you'll be looking for another class not too far down the line as well!!

Regarding older creaky joints.....how I adapt ......is not doing full plié except in second and occasionally first but just concentrate on getting a good deep Demi first.....will be hard enough!!

Be careful in the jumping section of the class....build these in carefully. If an exercise is repeated you can always rest ....when you feel you've had enough. The other week for example we were doing just 24 little jumps as a warm up for general jumping....8 in first then 8 in second then 8 changement. Okay fine .....but then were asked to repeat so I just halved everything and waited in between...4 wait 4 wait 4 wait! Little ways of adapting till you feel stronger.

You may need to,be careful taking any jumps which land on one leg only ....eg : grand jete or grand jete en tournant ....pas de chat can be a good substitute.

You can also do exercises to strengthen the knee and hip area by finding a good pilates class to support the ballet.

i always try to have at least one day in between classes......though occasionally this doesn't work out for timetable reasons but give yourself plenty of recovery time.

Ballet classes taken with care should in the end help your joints and bone strength. I will be 68 in a couple of months time so I'm sure you can manage a class in your 50's. If there is any weight problem doing the ballet may well be the best motivator to lose a bit of it too though I find my body just doesn't seem to like being below 70kg these days!! (I'm 5ft 8ins) would love to get down to 66kg but probably not going to happen.......I just remember that three years ago I was 86kg and this was largely through sheer lack of exercise.......I didn't do a thing in my 50's just swimming occasionally.

Anyway go for it I say just take it gently andIm sure you will surprise yourself!!

• Like 4

I've been thinking about taking an adult beginners' ballet class for a couple of years now. Well, I've finally taken the plunge - last night, at the age of 55, I had my first lesson and loved it! For the benefit of anyone worrying that they're too old or too plump, I can assure you that it just doesn't matter. You won't be expected to do anything beyond your physical capabilities and you won't be learning alongside super-fit young sylphs with perfect turnout. See what's available locally and don't hesitate to sign up!

Excellent - enjoy! And welcome to the forum. :-)

• Like 2

So glad you've taken the plunge Alice Shortcake. I'd wager £10 that you'll be looking for another class not too far down the line as well!!

Funny you should say that...

You can also do exercises to strengthen the knee and hip area by finding a good pilates class to support the ballet.

Earlier today I saw an ad for a local Pilates class and emailed for more details.

You owe me £10!

• Like 2

Now I'm 52 but have some arthritis in my knees, so have just been walking, cycling, and doing home-based Pilates for my core. I had assumed my knees would stop me going back to ballet but now you've got me wondering if I can adapt things. The only problem I can see is remembering how much turnout/flexibility I once had and pushing things too much. Any advice from folk doing adult ballet with creaky old joints?

I have knee problems, too, and have found that ballet seems to *help* them - provided I'm careful, of course.

Brava to everyone starting again! Isn't it a great feeling in class? Beautiful movements to beautiful music.

I'm interested in the worries about creaky knees. Maybe I'm lucky (I'm now 56) and have very few problems -- tendinitis which is treated but still there, but doesn't stop me doing anything and a nagging hamstring strain, which again, I just ignore/stretch out. (It hurts more when I'm not dancing/exercising than when I am).

I do 2 to 3 dance classes a week - more if I can get them. But the other thing is that I've always cross-trained. I do a bit of running - about 2 to 3 sessions of 30 to 40 minutes a week mostly on a treadmill at the gym, and I do Pilates or yoga, and also weights - currently in a gym "Pump" class with light weights (never more than 20 kg on the bar).

I'm fit but not excessively so, but I think that the weights work I do, and the consistency over many years of dance means that my muscles are strong and support my bones & joints. I wonder if consistent & careful cross-training including some sort of weight-bearing exercise (good for the bones) would help your dancing? Particular attention to leg weights exercises might strengthen quads etc which all support the knees. It might be worth a chat with both a physiotherapist and a properly qualified personal trainer .

Edited by Kate_N
  • Like 1