Nutcracker snow choir

Having been recently involved in a production of Nutcracker (only on the technical side) where all the music was recorded, I wondered how often, when performed to live music, they have a choir in just to do the snow ballet? I understand it's supposed to be a choir of boys rather than adults, but must be quite an expense just for the one scene, lovely though it is!

The Royal Ballet and English National Ballet always use live choirs. Finchley Childrens' Choir was often used. I can't remember which ones were used in the recent runs and I don't have the cast sheets to check. I'm sure someone will enlighten us!

My DD was in ENB's Nutcracker in 2010. That year they used the Party Girls/girl Little Rats (because they're Tring students the majority can sing; I only know of one girl who was encouraged to mime) plus a few older teenagers and young adults who I think we're from Royal College of Music or similar.

The girls had a quick change from their rat costumes and came out to sing In a box (seating box) beside the stage.

Wow - thanks for all the responses (and welcome). I never knew! Only seen a professional performance of this once, many years ago, at ROH an I have no idea if there was a choir hiding down there or not....

I wonder how Petipa and Tchaikovsky worked together on this piece - was the music done to a vague specification (eg. scenes) and then the choreography added after, or was there some to-ing and fro-ing to optimise the combination.

For our version, there were a LOT of modifications. Maybe only the story and music were kept - this was a production with some very young (under 5?) dancers up to about 18 years old, so none of them were really up to the proper choreography, but the ballet teacher did her own which seemed to suit them brilliantly. In particular, the adagio from Grand Pas de Deux featured SPF + 4 "sweet fairies" seemed magical to me - but it's impossible to be even vaguely objective when you know the dancers involved. One thing's for sure, though, that Tchaikovsky and Flying Hops go together like clotted cream and scones!