Ballet Theatre UK - Nutcracker - Winter 2013

What a wonderful performance from a gallant company.  Although they are a relatively new, small company, with young dancers, the standard of dancing and the production is splendid.  I am sure hfbrew would be too modest to say so, but her DS is an excellent dancer with an engaging stage presence - he was The Nutcracker in the performance I saw.  

The choreography is superb, and very musical, with an intelligent story line.  It makes good use of all the dancers with many quick costume changes! The music sounded really clear, and the set and costumes all looked fresh and elegant.  An evening to remember!

• Like 8

Actually it's not mentioned on their own website but found on the Dome one.

Looks like its just the one day on the 28th so will definitely get a seat and the prices seem unbelievably reasonable!

Are you at the matinee or evening Porthesia?

Thank you so much for flagging this up Porthesia, even I didnt know full details. It was a last minute invitation from Brighton, well after rest of the tour dates were finalised which is why details are not on website.

Do support them if you can, you can especially as the dancers were expecting to have finished the tour on the 23rd so they would love an appreciative audience!

The Dome is right opposite the Theatre Royal in New Road and bordering one side of the Gardens there.......where they are just setting up an ice rink at the mo. it's right behind the Pavilion and I think it's officially in Church Street If you are standing on the main road (A23)

Facing the Pavilion the Dome is on the right hand side. If you are standing in New Street outside the Theatre Royal and facing the Gardens it's on the left hand side!

Parking is a contentious issue in Brighton!! You could be lucky and find a free place after 6pm in some of the nearby streets going towards the station from Church Street and on the other side of North Road in the area known as the Alternative Lanes but if you want to be sure of a space the nearest car park to the Dome is off Church Street ......as you drive up Church Street (you will pass the Dome on your left) there is an NCP car park(I think it's NCP) on the left a bit higher up. That's the closest one......a very short walk........have no idea if its the cheapest though.

These days I just never park in Brighton and go in by Bus.......I live in Saltdean.....but that's just the luxury of living so close!!

I can find out how much it will be an hour though at the weekend.

Edited by LinMM

It's about time Brighton got a really efficient Park and Ride scheme.

The Powers that be here are always bleating on about leaving your car at home and I do think the local bus services are excellent for locals but they don't seem to be very visitor friendly these days since the more draconian parking came along in 2002!! It's as bad as central London quite frankly!!

I visit friends in Cambridge quite a lot and although parking there is terrible too they do have a properly organised Park and Ride scheme with car parks accessible from most areas of the City.

Anyway just looked at the fees for the Church Street car park and immediately am confused! It does look on week days to be very expensive eg : from 4-24 hours is.....swallow....£25!

However they seem to have this amount from 5.30 pm onwards on a sat/sun showing as £5-50 What I don't understand is that for just an hour or for the whole evening........if it is for the whole evening then that's not bad!

It's probably for an hour though!!

Apologies not strictly about BTUK but the Dome in Brighton is a nice theatre space and so anyone within a shot of Brighton would be a nice place to see their Nutcracker.

On that day 28th December which is a saturday there are two performances at 2.30 and 7.30pm.

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 1

I usually park in the Churchill Car Park as it's convenient for the shops.  Yes I got stung for £10.00 once, but if two of us go in that is less than the train from Polgate.  I have wondered about parking the car at the Marina and getting the bus in from there but don't know which bus and it's only 4 hours free there and if DD is with me then 4 hours including bus time travelling each way might not be enough!!

Back on thread, I'm looking forward to the Little Mermaid but I haven't booked tickets yet as the Assembly Rooms at Tunbridge seem to hold onto the upper tier and only sell that if the rest is sold out.  I quite fancy going up there for a change.

Edited to add info re Little Mermaid

Edited by porthesia

The car park off Trafalgar Street......near the station....but not the station one....I think the entrance is in Whitecross Street is only £4-50 from 6pm till midnight at the weekend!

This is right next to Brighton City College and is only a 5 min walk down to Church Street and the Dome.

The city college itself also has a car park.....just on different sides of the same road.....and I'm not sure what happens with this at weekends.....I'm sure the public can use it then....but not sure of the cost.

Anyway £4-50 for an evening is not bad.

With the Marina it's the number 7 bus into town which is pretty frequent and takes 15-20 mins from there.

I thought the car parking in the Marina was just free.......didn't realise only 4hrs.....but have never spent more than a couple of hours there at a time as I hate the cinema complex there so don't go anymore......very occasionally go for a meal in summer with friends when it's very pleasant on the walkway there!

Have just seen the afternoon performance in Horsham, what a wonderful production.

The company sparkled to the sold out audience, the dancing and choreography was at the highest level and the costumes and stage sets were beautiful.

It was magical to hear the little girls sat in front of us ooo and aww during the snow scene and at all of the pretty tutus and tiaras in the 2nd act.

The company is young but the quality and standard is very high, Natalie Cawte and Luca Veron shone in the Grand Pas D2. Helena Cortes was charming and not at all boring as Clara. David Brewer was a perfect Nutcracker with fantastic turns and jumps.

The rest of the company had lots of dancing to get their feet around, with most dancers dancing 2/3 parts. Looking at the programme it looks like a few of the dancers alternate in all principal roles, as three girls are listed as Clara and three as Sugar Plum .

Only grumble was front of house seem to be ok with allowing new born babies into the auditorium!!

On the whole was a wonderful afternoon watching high level ballet at affordable prices meaning we could bring all the family ... 12 yr old none dancing son had NO complaints and didn't moan once!!

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I've just got home from seeing BTUK's Nutcracker in Runcorn.

It's a super production by a hard-working company with only 12 dancers and an apprentice listed in the programme. 

The set looked sumptuous as did the costumes.  The story is very much as you would expect but has been simplified slightlyt to cater for the size of the company. 

The dancers take on multiple roles and cope really well with what must be some incredibly fast costume changes.  I really enjoyed all the performances.

BTUK is definitely a company worth catching if you can!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Went to see Ballet Theatre UK for the first time as a company in the nutcracker at Brighton Dome. This is a small company of fantastically hard working dancers who had to dance in some instances several roles! However their enthusiasm was infectious and they pulled it off very successfully with I think that particular night just twelve dancers......quite a feat!! Some must have had some very quick changes. The dancing was excellent and I could tell the audience were engaged and enjoying it.....and it was a pretty full house that evening and I was told the matinee was also very full or even sold out so I hope this augers well for seeing this company here in Brighton again.

It was nice to see hfbrew's son in the Nutcracker role a very expressive dancer and would like to see him in a more dramatic role now which I think he would be very good in.

It was also nice to meet up with Porthesia and her husband and DD who was still having to manage all the stairs on her crutches after breaking bones in her foot!

We would like to see "the Little Mermaid" now which at present doesn't show as coming to Brighton but as The Brighton Festival is on throughout May this could be an opportunity to try and get some performances here. However they will be performing it definitely at Tunbridge Wells ......need to checkout the exact dates so hopefully will see them again there.

This must be a great Company to join as a young dancer as the opportunity is there to do a lot of dancing and gain experience in roles which may take longer in bigger companies and I mean A LOT of dancing. You would certainly have to be very fit to keep up with the way they all danced in the Nutcracker. A great show!!

• Like 3

Tunbridge Wells is the 16th March

But also in the Fairfield hall Croydon on the 18th April and the Capitol Theatre Horsham on the 19th April

How does this Company keep up with all the tour dates they do amazing!!

Tunbridge Wells is the 16th March

But also in the Fairfield hall Croydon on the 18th April and the Capitol Theatre Horsham on the 19th April

How does this Company keep up with all the tour dates they do amazing!!

They work hard and have a reliable mini-bus and driver!