How to clean leather ballet shoes

Happymum

I've just searched for other topics about it but I only found information about canvas shoes.

Is it possible to wash leather shoes? And I don't mind the outside but smelly inside. Looooong time ago I used to buy new shoes for my DD only because her old one were small. Now she dances more hours per week and needs new shoes because the old one are a bit stinky.

In her ballet school she needs to wear leather not canvas. Can I hand wash it? Any tips?

Hi Happymum

Apparently , I havn't tried this myself yet but was going to on a pair of particularly pongy Vans that have been brought home, baking soda sprinkled in shoes absorbs a bad odour.

Maybe it's worth a try.

Baby wipes work really well on the outside too on leather ballet shoes.

• Like 1

If it were me I'd put them in the washing mashine- it works with canvas so shouldnt hurt leather shoes! Maybe spray a bit of perfune in them too, or (sorry I know thiz idea seems very odd and random) sprinkle a little bit of dried lavender or put a lavender filled pouch in the shoes when she isnt wearing them?? Havent tried this personally but it just occured to me that it may work! ;)

I would be wary about washing leather, maybe try on an older pair first? When DD used to wear leather I would clean with fairy liquid and soft nail brush, going round in little circles. Bicarb works sprinkled inside and fresh catlit does the same odour absorbing job - leave over night, then as suggested above febreeze or perfume inside.

The cedar sachets could be used to reshape shoes whilst damp, as they absorb moisture and will help them dry in the right shape. They're usually used for popping in pointe shoes after class to help absorb sweat, keep their shape and prolong life :)

• Like 3

Thank you all! So I decided not to wash leather shoes. Well I'll try it but will wait till the shoes are really bad. I think DD will need to have one pair for Mon, Wed, Fri, second pair for Thu, Sat and occasional Sun plus a spare pair just in case. I'll try the soda trick and am off to buy Fabreeze :-)