Royal Ballet Summer School

Tulip

Back to RBS Summer School - do the younger children at WL have free time organised? Or is it more like YBSS that they have just free time after their lessons? Is it ballet only or other classes as well? And the most important info for my DD - do they sleep in the actual Y7 girls room? She's so excited, finally able to apply for the RBS SS this year :-)

My DD did the insight day too and had a lovely time. I think there was a morning and afternoon class as the lady talking about finance apologised to those whom she would have given the same speech too earlier - also there was just one older boy in the class. The class was also of mixed age and ability, DD was pleased to not be  the tallest there. They all went through various exercises with harder versions for the older ones, but it was very much stressed that they are not looking to 'trick' anyone but are mainly looking for potential, someone that would benefit from their training scheme - also looking for musicality, artistry, physique and passion for dance.

Were you in the 11am one?

Hi Happymum. Yes, they definitely sleep in the dorms which was so exciting for my youngest. Mainly ballet but they also did a contemporary/improv, character and one hip hop class. Most of the free time was their own. They watched TV, played tennis and sat around and chatted. Was a walk round the park one night and a barbecue another night. Usually one activity per evening was organised.

Hi Happymum. Yes, they definitely sleep in the dorms which was so exciting for my youngest. Mainly ballet but they also did a

contemporary/improv, character and one hip hop

class. Most of the free time was their own. They

watched TV, played tennis and sat around and

chatted. Was a walk round the park one night

and a barbecue another night. Usually one

activity per evening was organised.

Thank you BalletMum, my DD is so excitied about the dorms! Thank you for reply. Was your younger DD 10 as well this summer? Did she enjoyed it? And do you remember how many hours daily did they dance? Were the classes very big? On the last day Is there a show for parents? Hope my DD gets a place..

Hi Happymum,

DD2 did it 2 years ago when she was 11.

Yes the classes are very big (around 35) hence none or not very many individual corrections.

They did 3 or 4 classes a day.

There is a show for the parents at the end of the week.

Not many activities organised at night so DD was quite homesick in the evening.

Good luck to your DD!

In reply to Mini'smum's question about taking photos at home:

Just bear in mind that photos for summer schools are more important than for school auditions - places for ss are purely based on what they see in the photos (unless it's one where they ask for more info) - the photos are your audition - whereas for full-time and associate places, most schools offer auditions to everyone who applies and photos are mostly an aide memoir.

That's not to say you can't take them at home, just make sure the positions are as good as they can be. I'm sure your old school wouldn't mind you going back there - ours was always happy to see my son and helped with his photos when he was assessed out of WL! (they were actually in the middle of putting on a show and his photos were taken on stage with a Cinderella backdrop but it was useful to have a ballet teacher to help with positions)

• Like 7

Hi Happymum,

DD2 did it 2 years ago when she was 11.

Yes the classes are very big (around 35) hence

none or not very many individual corrections.

They did 3 or 4 classes a day.

There is a show for the parents at the end of the week.

Not many activities organised at night so DD was quite homesick in the evening.

Good luck to your DD!

Oh, it doesn't sound so good anymore :-(. Did your DD enjoyed it? Would she like to go there again? I'm sure my DD would love it anyway just for the fact it's in WL, but shame that classes are so big, and not too many lessons or afternoon activities like in other SS.

Hi Happymum,

Yes DD enjoyed it at the time even though she was homesick... She had been on the waiting list the year before and was so happy to be offered a place straight away that I think she enjoyed the RBS aura more than the SS.

Since then, she's done other good SSs which she preferred. Being older now she can actually judge and compare what was offered at RBS and elsewhere. She thinks she learned more in the other SSs, she was corrected more, the classes were smaller and for the boarding part, the evenings were fuller and more interesting...

She applied again last summer and was put on the waiting list again but didn't bother staying on it as she had secure places in other schools. She doesn't really want to try again this year but I think she will when she's old enough to be in Covent Garden...

Hope it helps!

• Like 2

Don't go to a professional photographer like some mums have. They have not got the 'eye for ballet'.

Your better off taking photo's with a teacher or some one with the 'eye for ballet' positioning the dc.

Don't go to a professional photographer like some mums have. They have not got the 'eye for ballet'.

Your better off taking photo's with a teacher or some one with the 'eye for ballet' positioning the dc.

Or finding a professional dance/ballet photographer, of course - then you get the best of both worlds!

Our son went to RBS summer school twice. We took the photos ourselves, but used an introduction to ballet book (can't remember which one) that had poses from students at the RBS. So we just tried to make sure our son looked as much as possible like those poses!

• Like 2

Our son went to RBS summer school twice. We took the photos ourselves, but used an introduction to ballet book (can't remember which one) that had poses from students at the RBS. So we just tried to make sure our son looked as much as possible like those poses!

Better Ballet by Richard Glasstone,by any chance? A great book.Used to borrow it from the library when I was a kid all the time,but bought my own copy off Amazon a few years ago.

There is so much more out there re Summer Schools and certainly as the children get older they have more of an idea of what they prefer - be prepared to do lots of research now but think about ALL of the possibilities - some suit different children at different ages etc and this forum is has a wealth of info which is fab!

• Like 1