2013/14 Royal Ballet and Dance Season announced

I've just checked the Performance Database and it hasn't been done since 1985 (and was only performed once in that year!)

http://www.rohcollections.org.uk/production.aspx?production=13022&row=1

Edited to point out that the 1985 performance can only have been an excerpt as it was the seventh item in a mixed bill. 

The Two Pigeons pd2 was also performed in an ROH gala in 2004 (Marquez and Putrov if my memory serves me correctly). Two Pigeons isn't really a Royal Ballet piece, having been made on the "touring section", and quite a lot of it gets rather lost on the larger stage of the ROH.

I'd say, that after the way its sold, 'Alice' is on its way to being a family. Christmas fave.

Also, for me anyway - lots to enjoy. Giselle, I'll be there for every one I can get to; same for Jewels, same the mixed bills; I'll probably get to a good few Nutcrackers as I love the last 2/3rds; will look forward to a bit of a romp at a couple of DQ's, a couple of Beauty's, maybe a couple of R&Js (depending on casting). Actually, casting will probably play a big part in how many I see of the 'warhorses' - especially if the young emerging dancers I particularly like, get a shout

Same for me Dave.

&

It's a couple of the young emerging dancers I am now very keen on seeing (and following). If they are cast in stand-out roles in the blockbusters I'll certainly buy multiple tickets (and anything with Marianella too).

Symphonic was last done by the RB in 2005 (when they *really really* should have recorded the cast!) and 2007 (when they did, because of it being Bussell's last performance, but unfortunately there were several changes due to injury and it wasn't quite as good as in 2005).

• 2 months later...

From Bruce's live coverage of the press launch on Twitter we also know that the tour is to Moscow (Bolshoi) and that Johan Kobborg is choreographing the "Four Seasons" ballet in Verdi's Sicilian Vespers (opera co-production with Denmark directed by Herheim). This ballet will feature 4 RB and 4 RDB Principals and a corps of 32.

Sadly, it was announced yesterday that the "Four Seasons" ballet is no longer to be included in the production.

"It has been necessary to rethink the inclusion of the Four Seasons ballet, in its entirety, from Act III of The Royal Opera’s new production of Les Vêpres siciliennes which opens in October. As a result of artistically differing approaches to the project between Johan Kobborg and director Stefan Herheim, Johan Kobborg and The Royal Ballet will no longer be working on this production.

Andre de Jong, who has previously worked with director Stefan Herheim on his production of Eugene Onegin in Amsterdam, is now the choreographer. 

There will still be a strong element of dance in the production, however it will no longer feature Artists from The Royal Ballet, The Royal Danish Ballet and students from The Royal Ballet School."

(NB the highlighting is mine)

http://www.roh.org.uk/news/choreographer-change-for-les-vepres-siciliennes

• 7 months later...

Why do the tours always get Manon when the London audiences don't?  :(  That's the second year running.  Hopefully it means that this time we will get some performances - it doesn't make a vast amount of sense to rehearse a different ballet just for 3 performances on tour.

• Like 1

re: when was "The Two Pigeons" last performed in full at the ROH?

I definitely saw the full version there in 1982 (I think with David Wall and Lesley Collier but I'm not at all certain on that bit).

re: when was "The Two Pigeons" last performed in full at the ROH?

I definitely saw the full version there in 1982 (I think with David Wall and Lesley Collier but I'm not at all certain on that bit).

The ROH Performance database lists two 1982 performances.  Lesley Collier danced in both of them, with David Wall in one and with Wayne Eagling in the other.

It also lists 1985 performances.  I don't know if they were complete.  Here is the link:

http://www.rohcollections.org.uk/production.aspx?production=13022&row=1