Sarasota Ballet 2024-25 season announcement

I hope Sarasota audiences know how lucky they are.....they're getting not just Ashton's R&J but also Peter Wright's traditional Giselle (the one with the brown and yellow costumes for Act 1 and actual Romantic era tutus for Act 2)! I thought that Giselle had gone forever!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Emeralds said:

I hope Sarasota audiences know how lucky they are.....they're getting not just Ashton's R&J but also Peter Wright's traditional Giselle (the one with the brown and yellow costumes for Act 1 and actual Romantic era tutus for Act 2)! I thought that Giselle had gone forever!

Isn't the RB's Giselle also Wright's production? Or has he done more than one version?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

As reported in Links too:

Ah, sorry - I was assuming they'd only just released the news.  I'm a couple of days behind on the Links.

9 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Isn't the RB's Giselle also Wright's production? Or has he done more than one version?

Yes, he's done at least 2 or 3. It's not just the costumes being vastly different but the RB version and his traditional production vary in other ways- eg the Peasant pas de deux is the traditional format, not the unconventional and more difficult pas de six in the RB version. The Act 2 choreography for Myrtha and the other wilis also have some differences. It's a beautiful production and while the current BRB & RB versions are nice, I do miss this one- it was outstanding and its only fault (if one can call it that)  was that it had been danced for so many years. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alison said:

Is this the one BRB used to do until it was replaced by the Bintley version?  I only ever saw it the once, at Sadler's Wells, way back.

BRB did perform a production by SPW as you say way back.  

I don't know if this will be the same one though.

Me too, pretty much.  And that reminds me - with all the complaints about the absence of New York City Ballet from these shores, it must be even longer now since the Paul Taylor company has been here.  They used to come here what felt like every couple of years or so - I wonder what changed?