2024 NBS manchester audition / accommodation 2024

Hello , 

So just few quick asks as couldn't see a 2024 link...

Dd is 3 auditions in with 3 offers on table,  in limbo due to funding news dadas. As need this to commit to one.

Currently have offers from : the hammond diploma l6 dance, NDC (nadeines dance company hartlepool) b tech course and just this Saturday a offer from NBS for diploma l6 dance. 

We are aware we can't fully choose till dada info (fingers crossed).

Just wondered re accomidation. 

Hammond is now at tramways... so going to book n am I am lead to understand if no funding / doesn't go we won't be liable to contact. Should get 250 deposit back. 

NBS - again similar situation I just wondered if any 16 year old due to start potentially here , or 17, 18 year olds who are looking at accomidation. I think new medlock, dwell and artesian had spaces.  But would like to try n get it with other potential new starters for here. 

She will go where gives funding but I don't want to get funding late and have no accommodation booked with her being younger end.

She has also done the video audition for italia conti and we are doing an in person audition at stella man in 2 weeks.

But with the 3 we have we are so happy so far. 

The btec is obs free but again she would have to stay there as we live in area with no colleges like this near by. But is our fail safe option.  Good college though for anyone in North East.  Audition standard was high with my dd saying the jazz tech was harder than hammond audition. 

It's such a long process and I'm such a planner it's hard to switch off. 

Waffled a bit there .... xxx

47 minutes ago, jenalexandra78 said:

Hello , 

So just few quick asks as couldn't see a 2024 link...

Dd is 3 auditions in with 3 offers on table,  in limbo due to funding news dadas. As need this to commit to one.

Currently have offers from : the hammond diploma l6 dance, NDC (nadeines dance company hartlepool) b tech course and just this Saturday a offer from NBS for diploma l6 dance. 

We are aware we can't fully choose till dada info (fingers crossed).

Just wondered re accomidation. 

Hammond is now at tramways... so going to book n am I am lead to understand if no funding / doesn't go we won't be liable to contact. Should get 250 deposit back. 

NBS - again similar situation I just wondered if any 16 year old due to start potentially here , or 17, 18 year olds who are looking at accomidation. I think new medlock, dwell and artesian had spaces.  But would like to try n get it with other potential new starters for here. 

She will go where gives funding but I don't want to get funding late and have no accommodation booked with her being younger end.

She has also done the video audition for italia conti and we are doing an in person audition at stella man in 2 weeks.

But with the 3 we have we are so happy so far. 

The btec is obs free but again she would have to stay there as we live in area with no colleges like this near by. But is our fail safe option.  Good college though for anyone in North East.  Audition standard was high with my dd saying the jazz tech was harder than hammond audition. 

It's such a long process and I'm such a planner it's hard to switch off. 

Waffled a bit there .... xxx

Congratulations to your DC on an amazing audition season. 
I can only comment on NBS accommodation. 
New Medlock is operated by uS (United Students). Used to be open to all higher education students but in recent years (since refurb) all tenants had to be a student of one particular university. Can’t recall which one. If they have done away with that criteria and open to all students.

1) As NBS students are younger than Uni students as soon as one NBS student reserves a room the flat is blocked off. Maybe not all 1st yrs but more often than not that is the case.   No choice on a particular flat just the type of room ie en-suite v’s shared bathroom etc  will determine which flat you are allocated. They might already have a flat blocked off with an empty room. 

2) They have a duty of care (age), errors do occur but if you maintain a dialogue with the staff any errors can be remedied promptly. ie Uni students placed in the same flat. 
3) Early bird rates used to run until April 

4) Contact them directly not through the main contact centre, as they will know the demographics of their upcoming tenants and understand NBS pupils needs better. . 
5) As you didn’t mention Parkway Gate which is another uS property next to Medlock, not sure if that’s because it’s full or you weren’t aware of the property. 
6) Book now, they understand the funding issue for NBS just as much as some new Uni students might not make the grade on results day and could lose their conditional place in Aug. The advantage is that NBS funding is confirmed before results day. 
7) Artisan House, mentioned is even closer to NBS not that any of the others are far away. Newer build so the costs are reflected. 

As there are 100,000+ students within Manchester all seeking to find accommodation it’s best to reserve asap.  
With uS properties it is possible to pull out of a tenancy agreement (especially as this will be before the Aug exam date) especially if the decision is based on lack of funding not being available than to wait then try to source accommodation later on. You then might find the only accommodation available is further out and requires daily public transport. Due to the demands in the area. 

Hope that has helped a little.  😊 Happy to answer any more questions where I can. 

Ps. All new tenants are to sign a tenancy agreement.  However, as your DC is under 18 you should be the one to sign the agreement.     Sometimes, the agents require a gentle reminder. 😌

Edited by balletbean

As we only get 30 mins to edit our posts is it possible for the Mods to correct the spelling mistake in the title of this thread? 
Hope OP doesn’t mind this request but know you can’t always change things after 30 mins 

Edited by LinMM

• Jan McNulty changed the title to 2024 NBS manchester audition / accommodation 2024
On 10/03/2024 at 07:30, jenalexandra78 said:

Last year Dwell had stopped taking under 18s, so definitely worth getting your name down for a room in one of the Unite properties if you can... Unite have previously allowed you to cancel with no financial liability if the DADA funding doesn't come through, but as balletbean says, communicate with the properties directly. The rooms do book up quickly so worth getting a name down. They'll do an online tour for you if you want to see a property before you book too. 

The properties are all REALLY close, so doesn't matter which one they end up in really (although costs are different! ) We had a generally good experience with a flat of under 18s in New Medlock in yr 1 (bar the lift never working and a few maintenance issues) and have also this year in Parkway. NM seemed to have a better, or more personal understanding of the ballet school students, so that felt nice for Y1.... probably simply due to smaller numbers of students. There are usually other NBS students very close by, either in the same accommodation or one of the other near ones, so they can visit each other and hang out together easily. We were really pleased that we had a flat of ballet students all together, others prefer to live with other students to get a bit of a break from the same people day in/day out. I think age was definitely a factor in this and for a 16 yr old, we were a lot happier with him being with other ballet students, but that's just preference really!

Well done on all the audition results! x

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mum5678 said:

Last year Dwell had stopped taking under 18s, so definitely worth getting your name down for a room in one of the Unite properties if you can... Unite have previously allowed you to cancel with no financial liability if the DADA funding doesn't come through, but as balletbean says, communicate with the properties directly. The rooms do book up quickly so worth getting a name down. They'll do an online tour for you if you want to see a property before you book too. 

The properties are all REALLY close, so doesn't matter which one they end up in really (although costs are different! ) We had a generally good experience with a flat of under 18s in New Medlock in yr 1 (bar the lift never working and a few maintenance issues) and have also this year in Parkway. NM seemed to have a better, or more personal understanding of the ballet school students, so that felt nice for Y1.... probably simply due to smaller numbers of students. There are usually other NBS students very close by, either in the same accommodation or one of the other near ones, so they can visit each other and hang out together easily. We were really pleased that we had a flat of ballet students all together, others prefer to live with other students to get a bit of a break from the same people day in/day out. I think age was definitely a factor in this and for a 16 yr old, we were a lot happier with him being with other ballet students, but that's just preference really!

The uS staff openly admitted to me that they would prefer to have all their flats filled with NBS pupils. Quieter more disciplined, considerate, polite. To name just a few. They were also in awe of the level of dedication. Out with the lark in the morning. Well turned out and not returning until early evening. Not quite the same for their other tenants😉. Hence why they are so accommodating (excuse the pun) to help out NBS.
We acknowledge that like all teenagers and young adults no one is perfect and they can all have their moments but it’s reassuring to hear feedback from others outages the dancing bubble  😊

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mum5678 said:

Hi 

are dwell definitely not taking under 18’s anymore as i thought that there were some in there this year? We were hoping to book dwell dd will be 17 

22 hours ago, La sylphide said:

Hi 

are dwell definitely not taking under 18’s anymore as i thought that there were some in there this year? We were hoping to book dwell dd will be 17 

I believe they changed the rules during last year (on the back of a change to the law in safeguarding for under 18s) so there has been an element of letting those who were already signed up work through their contract. My understanding is that they didn't take any new 16 yr olds last year, but I might be misinformed! I'm not sure if there's an exception for 17 yr olds... I do know there were 17 yr olds that moved in there for this academic year (23/24) who had signed up before the rule change and have turned 18 during the year.

It's definitely worth contacting them directly to ask... I'm sure they prefer ballet students too, like balletbean said regarding Unite, they are certainly easier, friendlier tenants for them! Most of the current 2rd year are booked in to Dwell next year for their 3rd yr, so if you can get them in there, there will definitely be other NBS students around and about. 

Our communications with Dwell have been through this email address: studentcare@dwellstudent.co.uk but I'm pretty sure that's a generic booking one and not linked directly to the property. 

• Like 2

I would definitely contact dwell direct to ask about age, my daughter was 16 when started in her first year & so was her flat mate ( only 2 of them in a 4 bed flat all year ). Then going into 2nd year all 4 were just 17. We have had no problems in the accomodation & we are almost at the end of her 3rd year! Can't believe it has come round so quick!. 

I will look for the email we have used for contact for MSV. 

Mj

Emails I have used ;

msv@dwellstudent.co.uk

colm.leonard@dwellstudent.co.uk

Hope this helps! 

Edited by Mjdb
Added info
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Mjdb said:

I would definitely contact dwell direct to ask about age, my daughter was 16 when started in her first year & so was her flat mate ( only 2 of them in a 4 bed flat all year ). Then going into 2nd year all 4 were just 17. We have had no problems in the accomodation & we are almost at the end of her 3rd year! Can't believe it has come round so quick!. 

I will look for the email we have used for contact for MSV. 

Mj

Emails I have used ;

msv@dwellstudent.co.uk

colm.leonard@dwellstudent.co.uk

Hope this helps! 

Thank you I will send them an email, I tried to call yesterday but no answer. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, just looking at various accomodation near NBS. All rooms say 'private bathroom' however is there any shower in the bathrooms? I can't see any, just toilets! Where do they shower then? Any tips for accommodation with toilet & shower please?

15 minutes ago, Macmac said:

Hi, just looking at various accomodation near NBS. All rooms say 'private bathroom' however is there any shower in the bathrooms? I can't see any, just toilets! Where do they shower then? Any tips for accommodation with toilet & shower please?

What accommodation are you looking at? We managed to get a room at new medlock but there weren’t any en-suites left so they have put my DD in a 2 bed flat so she just has to share the kitchen and bathroom with one other person. I think the other room was still available and the lady at new medlock had blocked it off so she could try to put another NBS student in.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Macmac said:

Which accommodation have you had a look at? I think that, generally, any private halls with an en-suite will have a shower in them. My daughter will have a shared bathroom next year - there is a separate toilet and shower. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, La sylphide said:

What accommodation are you looking at? We managed to get a room at new medlock but there weren’t any en-suites left so they have put my DD in a 2 bed flat so she just has to share the kitchen and bathroom with one other person. I think the other room was still available and the lady at new medlock had blocked it off so she could try to put another NBS student in.

Hi @La sylphide That's great thank you. I'm happy for my DD to share your DD's flat if still available please? I will inbox you. X

Edited by Macmac
  • Like 1

Hi. I’m 18 and it will be my first year at NBS this year. I’ve had to book a room at Parkway Gate as they were the only ones left and I was told that there were several NBS students there. Unfortunately I’ve found out this morning that most students have moved to New Medlock as the prices were cheaper but there’s now no rooms available to have a flat with another NBS student. Just wondered if anyone else if going to Parkway Gate and is at NBS? 

19 minutes ago, Becca_19 said:

Hi. I’m 18 and it will be my first year at NBS this year. I’ve had to book a room at Parkway Gate as they were the only ones left and I was told that there were several NBS students there. Unfortunately I’ve found out this morning that most students have moved to New Medlock as the prices were cheaper but there’s now no rooms available to have a flat with another NBS student. Just wondered if anyone else if going to Parkway Gate and is at NBS? 

Have you emailed new medlock directly? as it was showing no rooms available online but when I contacted them they did have one available and were able to block it off for me. 

I rang New Medlock as I thought this might be the case and they offered me a shared flat and non-en-suite with 7 other people, 1 being a NBS student. Unfortunately I didn’t feel entirely comfortable with a flat this large and a shared bathroom as I’m moving quite far away from home and as an only child so it’s a completely new experience but they said there was nothing else apart from that available. I understand I was quite late in the process of booking somewhere however I wasn’t able to book anything until I found out about funding the other day.  I’m currently waiting on a phone call back from Parkway Gate as they did say there was one NBS student still there but in a fully booked flat - hoping they are able to move things around a bit so I can share with them instead! 

Edited by Becca_19

52 minutes ago, Becca_19 said:

I rang New Medlock as I thought this might be the case and they offered me a shared flat and non-en-suite with 7 other people, 1 being a NBS student. Unfortunately I didn’t feel entirely comfortable with a flat this large and a shared bathroom as I’m moving quite far away from home and as an only child so it’s a completely new experience but they said there was nothing else apart from that available. I understand I was quite late in the process of booking somewhere however I wasn’t able to book anything until I found out about funding the other day.  I’m currently waiting on a phone call back from Parkway Gate as they did say there was one NBS student still there but in a fully booked flat - hoping they are able to move things around a bit so I can share with them instead! 

There may be movement too as people may have booked accommodation and be waiting on a funding offer still. I think there are some of the older students in MSV dwell too, we couldn’t book there as you have to be 18.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Becca_19 said:

Hi there,

I would second trying MSV Dwell as you are 18 as there are presently NBS students there so maybe this year 1st & 2nd years may stay on & a chance of sharing?

Mj 

Thank you both very much. I’ve managed to apply for a room at MSV so fingers crossed! If anyone is definitely there next year, if you can let me know that would be great. Going to ring them on Monday and check whether they can put me with other students. 

• Like 1

Thank you both very much. I’ve managed to apply for a room at MSV so fingers crossed! If anyone is definitely there next year, if you can let me know that would be great. Going to ring them on Monday and check whether they can put me with other students. 

My daughter will be going into 3rd year and living at Dwell from September. Unfortunately, her flat is already full but I’m sure she’d be more than happy to offer any help or advice if you need it!

• Like 1

Thank you. That’s really kind. Has your daughter had any experience at either Parkway Gate or Dwell MSV yet? Just have to decide between the two now!  

Yes, she’s currently at Parkway Gate. It’s a lovely flat but the price increase is just too much for next year! I think a lot who are currently living there are moving to Dwell next year. I know there are students already at Dwell so she’s happy that, although her room might not be as nice, there’ll be plenty of people there. Both halls are close to each other though and not much more than a 5 minute walk to NBS. 

Yes my mum and I were very shocked at the price but didn’t really have another option as we wanted to at least have something secured for living next year. Thank you for your help. 

• Like 1

My daughter has been in Dwell for her 3 years at NBS & never had a problem. First year was a 4 bed flat but just 2 NBS students sharing shower room, sperate toilet & kitchen. To be honest it would have been a squeeze if all 4 rooms had been occupied. 

For her 2nd & 3rd year she stayed in a 4 bedroomed flat, this time each had their own en suit, shared kitchen/diner. The flat was newly refurbished.

The rents are eye watering & doesn't help that Dada doesn't give anywhere near student funding for maintenance. 

All the above accommodations are either next to each other or over the road & all very close to The Dance House ( NBS ). 

There what looks like is going to be new accommodation being built again right next to the above accommodations, let's hope this eases the problems of flats for students in the following years. 

Mj

I’ve had an abrupt email from an anonymous person at New Medlock to say “all” NBS accommodation is booked and my only option is to booked my then just 16 year old into a shared 18+ flat with students from other Universities.

Urm, no. That won’t be happening 🙈

it seems really a bit strange that NBS won’t/don’t have a more formal agreement with one of the private halls.

This is my youngest child so I’m very used to Uni and private accommodation 🤷🏻‍♀️

Hi. I’ve just managed to book into a 2 bed flat at New Medlock with another student from Northern Ballet School! Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice on here - it’s been really helpful and I’m so pleased I’ve managed to secure something. If anyone’s looking for rooms in New Medlock with other NBS students it’s definitely worth ringing them directly as they can give all the information about flats that have been blocked off. The number I used is 0161 236 8487. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Becca_19 said:

Hi. I’ve just managed to book into a 2 bed flat at New Medlock with another student from Northern Ballet School! Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice on here - it’s been really helpful and I’m so pleased I’ve managed to secure something. If anyone’s looking for rooms in New Medlock with other NBS students it’s definitely worth ringing them directly as they can give all the information about flats that have been blocked off. The number I used is 0161 236 8487

That’s great news. So pleased New Medlock came through for you. Great place to start your DC’s new chapter of their life at NBS. 

Hi, We’ve booked new medlock house it’s a unite students property. Unite are the only ones that take under 18’s. If you call the  property rather than the head office they are really helpful. The number is posted further up on this chat. 

11 hours ago, jenalexandra78 said:

My daughter has just had dada funding offer and will be 16, any advise on available property's that allow 16 year olds xxx

Pretty sure you'll need to look at one of the Unite properties for under 18s, so that's New Medlock, Parkway Gate, Artisan Heights and there are a couple a little further out, 15-20 mins walk away. 

We used New Medlock in y1 and are now in Parkway for year 2, both have been fine... not perfect, but good overall. I'd say New Medlock was slightly more personal in that they got to know our 16 yr olds and often chatted to them on the way in and out. Parkway is fine and smarter looking (and the lifts don't break as often!) but it's a little less personal. 

Congratulations on the offer! 

Posted (edited)

Just spoken / email chatted re accommodation. New medlock.

No flats free with others at mo. 

But they have offered a first floor flat 8 rooms 2 bathrooms. If I book it will be closed of to over 21 and recommended to others to try and build up nbs. But not guaranteed. 

Is anyone looking to book as my dd 16 is going to be first one in it if I book. Obs a risk but hopefully might be others yet to sort??? Fingers 🤞 

Edited by jenalexandra78

Even if other NBS students don't end up booking into that particular flat, I was told there were about 20, if not more, NBS students at New Medlock overall so no one should be left out/worry as I should think there might still be a nice community of people going to NBS who live there. I’ve not actually started yet so I can’t comment, but I imagine this to be the case because it’s very easy to visit each other etc. 

• Thanks 1