LSC Classical, NBS or ??

La sylphide

Hi 

DD has 3 offers so far for upper school LSC Classical, NBS and the school we can’t name.

She is really struggling to make a decision and liked all 3 there are the financial pros with the one we can’t talk about in that she could take student funding. I’ve tried looking at graduate destinations as her dream is to dance in the corps de ballet anywhere. I know finding jobs can be hard after graduation and she’s happy to try to get a cruise ship contract/teach if this doesn’t work out but would one school give her a better chance of achieving this over any of the others does anybody have any advice please? 

Edited by La sylphide

I’m sorry but your post is too vague for anyone to give any meaningful advice.

Assuming that your daughter attends a ballet school, and speaking as the parent of a daughter who did join a professional company, I strongly recommend that you discuss the options with your daughter’s teacher(s).

If you want to send me a pm, I’m happy to respond but I’m not sure that any additional advice I could offer would be particularly useful.

Hi,

Well done to her getting 3 offers! My DD also had to choose from these amongst offers. We also had a bursary offered for one of them.

My DD picked NBS and I’m so glad she did! 
Excellent school who know their students well and many opportunities given. Care/safety is a high priority and teaching is well established. Job rates are extremely high with a lot of effort by the school for networking and helping students acquire jobs. Most importantly, DD has been extremely happy there and feels challenged and loves classes.

As for making choices between these 3, be careful not to just go on social media posts! It’s better to engage and talk to schools. 
NBS is an established school but not so prominent on Social Media. Others show a good story on social media but when I did research, spoke to schools, I wasn’t as confident they were right for us.

When asking re their graduate posts that have been offered, look for honesty and a list of where recent students(previous 2 years) have worked, over a generic list offered of best students over the time of the college. What is the percentage of students getting jobs?

Ultimately, location is important too and how your child ‘feels’ at each. My DD had a strong feeling that she liked NBS and felt at home there! This never changed! She made the right choice! 

Some perks to NBS: Students can still complete RAD exams, take part in regular performances, can complete a teaching qualification alongside.

We heard from some larger schools, students have to audition to even participate in the shows. At NBS, auditions take place for featured parts but not the show itself as all included.

There will be pros and cons to all of the schools! Just ask lots of questions! 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Hi @Ballet-taxi do you mind if I ask if you noticed any difference at NBS since they have become part of the BIMM portfolio?  

Absolutely none! As a parent/student it purely feels like Northern Ballet School. They seem to operate independently as far as the running of the school. 
The ‘BIMM’ part appears to be related to admin, e.g payments go through BIMM.

They are a very classical school with excellent teachers, many who have been there a long time. 
Unfortunately, I think their advertising coming through BIMM

confuses prospective parents who are looking for a ballet school. 
As a parent of an extremely happy student on the classical pathway, I can not fault the school and think the staff’s dedication is impressive! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Ballet-taxi said:

Hi,

Well done to her getting 3 offers! My DD also had to choose from these amongst offers. We also had a bursary offered for one of them.

Excellent school who know their students well and many opportunities given. Care/safety is a high priority and teaching is well established. Job rates are extremely high with a lot of effort by the school for networking and helping students acquire jobs. Most importantly, DD has been extremely happy there and feels challenged and loves classes.

As for making choices between these 3, be careful not to just go on social media posts! It’s better to engage and talk to schools. 
NBS is an established school but not so prominent on Social Media. Others show a good story on social media but when I did research, spoke to schools, I wasn’t as confident they were right for us.

When asking re their graduate posts that have been offered, look for honesty and a list of where recent students(previous 2 years) have worked, over a generic list offered of best students over the time of the college. What is the percentage of students getting jobs?

Ultimately, location is important too and how your child ‘feels’ at each. My DD had a strong feeling that she liked NBS and felt at home there! This never changed! She made the right choice! 

Some perks to NBS: Students can still complete RAD exams, take part in regular performances, can complete a teaching qualification alongside.

We heard from some larger schools, students have to audition to even participate in the shows. At NBS, auditions take place for featured parts but not the show itself as all included.

Thank you for your advice, she really liked NBS and has decided she would like to go. We just need to wait to hear on the DADA results now and hope for the best 🤞🏻

• Like 4

5 hours ago, La sylphide said:

Thank you for your advice, she really liked NBS and has decided she would like to go. We just need to wait to hear on the DADA results now and hope for the best 🤞🏻

My daughter is at NBS on the jazz focus. She absolutely loves it - I really haven’t seen her this happy! The school supported her through an injury and the physio associated with the school has been fantastic! I hope your daughter has an amazing time there and good luck with the DADA!

• Like 2

On 27/02/2024 at 07:02, Ballet-taxi said:

Hi,

Sounds like my DD’s experience. 
Walked into NBS for her audition. Greeted by big smiles from other pupils and staff alike. She came away from the audition saying she didn’t want to come home!! 

Loved her time there despite its challenges 😷.  
But definitely agree. Not all schools suit everyone. Just like how students select one University over another.  Research and then stick to instinct. If it feels right it is right ☺️

• Like 3

On 23/02/2024 at 07:01, La sylphide said:

Hi 

DD has 3 offers so far for upper school LSC Classical, NBS and the school we can’t name.

She is really struggling to make a decision and liked all 3 there are the financial pros with the one we can’t talk about in that she could take student funding. I’ve tried looking at graduate destinations as her dream is to dance in the corps de ballet anywhere. I know finding jobs can be hard after graduation and she’s happy to try to get a cruise ship contract/teach if this doesn’t work out but would one school give her a better chance of achieving this over any of the others does anybody have any advice please? 

Sounds like you've already heard it from others, but just to reinforce, my DS had similar offers and went for NBS. He just felt so at home there on the audition day - came out at lunch break and just said he loved it and that this was where he wanted to be!

It's proved to be just as homely and as welcoming as he first felt. He's incredibly happy there and don't think he's regretted it for a minute. The class sizes are small, especially on the CF pathway so they get a LOT of attention. The accommodation close by is a real perk... they work hard and do long days so reducing travel time helps a lot. He's been well cared for during an injury and they get a lot of performance experience compared to some other schools. They have a supportive, lovely relationship with the teachers too, several of whom are still actively dancing in the industry. 

The BIMM link seems to be only in name... the only impact they have is making some of the paperwork and admin more complicated! But Jackie Grey is pretty good and always supportive where there's a problem with that. 

Good luck with the DADA funding ... hope good news comes through soon! x

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

@La sylphide, that’s fantastic news! 
She will absolutely love it, I’m sure! They all do! 
….Now to book accommodation if you need it! The sooner, the better! 
My DD has stayed in Unite accommodation for year 1 and 2 (New Medlock and Parkway Gate) but will be in Dwell next year as there was a big price jump at Unite. Unite takes them from 16. I think Dwell now only takes them at 18. It’s a good idea to call the halls directly (not head office but halls in Manchester) and explain they are NBS students and ask if they can get into a flat with other NBS dancers. Unite also allowed the 16 year olds when calling directly whereas it says 18 on website. 
All these halls are minutes from the college. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ballet-taxi said:

@La sylphide, that’s fantastic news! 
She will absolutely love it, I’m sure! They all do! 
….Now to book accommodation if you need it! The sooner, the better! 
My DD has stayed in Unite accommodation for year 1 and 2 (New Medlock and Parkway Gate) but will be in Dwell next year as there was a big price jump at Unite. Unite takes them from 16. I think Dwell now only takes them at 18. It’s a good idea to call the halls directly (not head office but halls in Manchester) and explain they are NBS students and ask if they can get into a flat with other NBS dancers. Unite also allowed the 16 year olds when calling directly whereas it says 18 on website. 
All these halls are minutes from the college. 

Thank you she can’t wait,  I managed to get a room for her at medlock she’s in a 2 bed flat as the 2 NBS flats were all full so they’ve blocked off the other room in her flat for now in the hope theyll be able to put another NBS student in there.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, La sylphide said:

Thank you she can’t wait,  I managed to get a room for her at medlock she’s in a 2 bed flat as the 2 NBS flats were all full so they’ve blocked off the other room in her flat for now in the hope theyll be able to put another NBS student in there.  

Oh, that’s perfect! Well done! 
Last year there was some movement/ flexibility too. There was one girl who didn’t get into an NBS flat but she managed to move into one after a few weeks. 

• Like 1

On 03/04/2024 at 19:50, La sylphide said:

Thank you everyone for all your advice and support she has received a DADA offer so will be off to NBS in September x

Well-done,

I'm sure she will love it. 

My daughter is now going into her last term, but really only seems like yesterday that we were planning & sorting for the start of her first term !

Mj

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mjdb said:

Well-done,

My daughter is now going into her last term, but really only seems like yesterday that we were planning & sorting for the start of her first term !

Mj

Thank you, just making lists of everything she needs tonight. I’m hoping she will be as happy there as all of your children have been x

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mjdb said:

Well-done,

Mj

Scary, how quickly it goes! Has your DD gone for any auditions yet? Does she know what she wants? 

48 minutes ago, Ballet-taxi said:

Scary, how quickly it goes! Has your DD gone for any auditions yet? Does she know what she wants? 

Hi,

Yes she has been to 'job auditions' so cruises & Disney in Manchester & London, plus agent auditions too. 

Dance, dance & dance! Lol. Cruise ships have always been a favourite job choice. 

Mj

• Like 1