Royal Ballet Summer Season 2024 Prices

I just had a look at the prices for the Summer Season.  We already know the Swan Lake pricing (the same as it is for the Spring run and similar to that for last season's Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella) 

https://www.roh.org.uk/seatmap?performanceId=54784 

For The Winter's Tale, however, they've gone back to the Manon pricing structure. 

https://www.roh.org.uk/seatmap?performanceId=54813

This is good news for those who sit on the bench seats in the stalls circle (seats in the bench seats in row C are £49 and the cheaper seats in row B are £63). 

It is, however, bad news for those who like to sit in the front side amphitheatre seats.  These will be the same price as they were for Manon - £49 (compared to £35 for Swan Lake)  

Stalls Circle Standing and all Upper Slips seats are priced at £14 - again, the same pricing structure as that which was used for Manon.

Here are the seating charts for the two Ashton bills:

The Dream mixed: https://www.roh.org.uk/seatmap?performanceId=54801

Les Rendezvous mixed: https://www.roh.org.uk/seatmap?performanceId=54837

Edited by Bluebird
  • Thanks 3

53 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

For The Winter's Tale, however, they've gone back to the Manon pricing structure. 

https://www.roh.org.uk/seatmap?performanceId=54813

This is good news for those who sit on the bench seats in the stalls circle (seats in the bench seats in row C are £49 and the cheaper seats in row B are £63).

I omitted to compare these prices to the Swan Lake prices for the same seats.  Stalls Circle Bench Seats in Row C are £49 (compared to £75 for Swan Lake) and in  Row B are £63 (compared to £118 for Swan Lake)

This is why I commented on how good this news was for those who like to sit in these seats!

53 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

It is, however, bad news for those who like to sit in the front side amphitheatre seats.  These will be the same price as they were for Manon - £49 (compared to £35 for Swan Lake) 

Stalls Circle Standing and all Upper Slips seats are priced at £14 - again, the same pricing structure as that which was used for Manon.

I also omitted to compare the price of the good seats in the Upper Slips to the price of the same seats for Swan Lake.   £14 for The Winter's Tale and £23 for Swan Lake.  Therefore the return to the Manon pricing structure is also good news for those who like to sit in the Upper Slips.

I haven't checked the rest of the prices.  Apart from those who like to sit in the front side amphitheatre, are any other readers  suffering from the return to the Manon pricing structure?

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1

As someone who this season has been in permanent residence on the row C side stalls circle bench seats this season, I was relieved when I saw the Winter's Tale & Ashton triple bill prices for those seats the other day. Although I had hoped that the cheapest stalls seats for the Ashton triple might be a bit lower priced so I could have treated myself to one sojurn in the stalls this season, but not to be at £96.

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bluebird said:

I haven't checked the rest of the prices.  Apart from those who like to sit in the front side amphitheatre, are any other readers  suffering from the return to the Manon pricing structure?

I was in two minds about whether or not to book for The Winter's Tale, but these prices make it an easy decision (i.e. no). I'm normally side amphi a bit further back, but for Manon I'm much further back... and would have to be for TWT too. So it's a big no from me.

However I'm very pleased with the Ashton prices (assuming I can get 'my' tickets). Odd that the biggest draw of the season from my point of view is at the lowest price point. Does make you wonder how these prices are decided.

• Like 3

I really can't decide what do do for TWT. 

I will definitely go once, but (as I have said often) I do not get on with Joby Talbot (although he worked on the Willy Wonka film and that was far more listenable) so it's not something I am keen to splash out on. If I can't pick up an SCS ticket I will probably wait to see what's available later on.

I'm also starting to think that I am not so keen on the choreography - unless significant changes have been made since the premiere season, which is when the filmed version is from.

The question is who to choose to see (if only we had the casting so I could make that decision) if I am picking a single performance.

• Like 2

I wonder how many Winter's Tale casts there are likely to be? There are 11 performances so if it were to be cast like many RB full-length works then at 2 performances per Principals there would be 5 or 6 casts. However looking at how it was cast during previous runs they had smaller numbers of casts, so perhaps only 3 or 4 casts is more likely? I've never seen Winter's Tale live before so I'm thinking of going to a couple of performances, although I don't recall being madly keen on the music or some of the choreography when I saw the cinecast of the original cast a decade ago.

Unless Hirano dances every performance or they persuade some of the former Leontes out of retirement then there'll have to be! There are several dancers who I'd like to see in the role but, given I'm going on a recollection of the role from 10 years ago & many of my casting hopes/guesses for this season have turned out to be wrong, my hopes will probably bear no resemblance to the actual casting!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Unless Hirano dances every performance or they persuade some of the former Leontes out of retirement then there'll have to be! There are several dancers who I'd like to see in the role but, given I'm going on a recollection of the role from 10 years ago & many of my casting hopes/guesses for this season have turned out to be wrong, my hopes will probably bear no resemblance to the actual casting!

Bennet Gartside is also a previous Leontes whom I really want to see (I couldn't make any of his performance dates before)-  his usual Hermione being Marianela Nunez. But not sure how ready his shoulder is after the surgery. 

Am sure this will bring a few moist eyes to many readers- sorry- but I think Laura Morera would have been a brilliant Hermione with Gartside or Hirano and now we will never know ....sigh (she danced Paulina). 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Blossom said:

I really can't decide what do do for TWT. 

I will definitely go once, but (as I have said often) I do not get on with Joby Talbot (although he worked on the Willy Wonka film and that was far more listenable) so it's not something I am keen to splash out on. If I can't pick up an SCS ticket I will probably wait to see what's available later on.

I'm also starting to think that I am not so keen on the choreography - unless significant changes have been made since the premiere season, which is when the filmed version is from.

The question is who to choose to see (if only we had the casting so I could make that decision) if I am picking a single performance.

Glad it’s not just me that found the music a challenge to get through.  It’s not unbearable, but I found it incredibly bland and lacking in soul and depth.  Music is incredibly important to me and I found myself thinking it must be quite challenging to dance to something so lacking in a strong melody - how does one interpret something so bland?  When I think of how glorious the music to R&J and Manon is, for example, it really stirs your soul, conveys deep emotions and takes you on the journey of the story.  The ballet and music are inextricably bound together - this not so much.

Glad the Ashton is comparatively cheap and it’s two pay days away until booking opens, giving me time to save for a stalls seat.  I really hope we get casting before booking opens though.  I’m not prepared to pay top whack for TWT as I don’t love it, but I’ve only seen it on the stream so would like to give it a go live once with the right cast.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, capybara said:

There will surely be some new Leontes at least?

An article about Matthew Ball back in December mentioned that "O’Hare’s directorship marked the start of a new period, with bigger roles for younger dancers: [Ball] got two parts in A Winter’s Tale, in which he will finally dance the lead role in spring 2024 (ballets come back around at the Royal Opera House like carousels, with dancers jumping on to bigger horses each time)." Assuming the lead role means Leontes :)

Here's the full article...https://www.newstatesman.com/long-reads/kate-mossman-interview/2023/12/the-nutcracker-matthew-ball-interview-ballet

Edited because LOL i just saw the casting got posted!

Edited by offmenu
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, OnePigeon said:

Glad it’s not just me that found the music a challenge to get through.  It’s not unbearable, but I found it incredibly bland and lacking in soul and depth. 

The music drives a lot of the passion in and for a ballet. There is none in this music. I did find Like Water for Chocolate had more depth, but it’s all just incidental music and is not completely absorbing like Tchaikovsky or Prokofiev. Given Talbot can create more emotive music, is this driven more by Wheeldon? I do want to experience TWT so I can understand if it can feel emotive.

Like Water for Chocolate was very cast dependent- much preferred Naghdi cast, plus it worked excellently on screen having seen it on the stream.

• Like 4