Does the Royal Ballet's current leadership respect the past?

2 hours ago, Fonty said:

Yes, I agree.  But I sometimes get the impression that Directors of ballet companies actually view stuff that is over a certain age as a collection of museum pieces, to be dusted off occasionally to satisfy those members of the audience who complain.  I wonder if they see such audiences as old fashioned, living in the past, out of touch with the modern world.  Not the sort of people a modern Director thinks ballet should be attracting.  

I shall definitely watch it.  Not quite the same as seeing it live, though, is it?  

Definitely not the same as seeing it live 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Sim said:

Did Strapless get a second run?  I swore never to see it again so I can’t remember!  Same goes for Multiverse…did that ever see the light of day again? 

yes for Strapless - no for Multiverse (so far - but that was one of the hugely unpopular ones, so with luck it has sunk without trace, probably aided by covid lockdowns)

• Like 1

There is a work that I would like to see repeated - and worked on - that I don't think has has a second showing and that is - or I think it was called - 'Wind'.  It was by Arthur Pita and looked to have been fashioned originally for Watson and Osipova.  If they could slightly tame the wind machine - so theatrically powerful in that opening sequence - so that it didn't also physically overwhelm those in the stalls and, perhaps, if someone could be found to help Mr. Pita actually write some 'ballet' for the final closing solo for the heroine - (it did rather peter out I seem to recall) - there is much in it that so suits the narrative talents of the current Royal regime.  The second cast of Hayward and Ball I recall being absolutely spellbinding in places - and the Company clearly spent a lot of money on it.  The costumes alone were magnificent and the fellas really seemed delighted to be playing cow folk.  This could easily sit on a heritage bill with, say, the likes of Symphonic Variations, Chroma, Infra, Las Hermanas or even with a repeat of the Royal's master Choreographer's fine Yergen - which I believe, too, hasn't had a repeat - even though the long panels above the escalator to/from the amphitheatre continue to proudly proclaim several of its key virtues.  Clearly a beacon for this Royal administration.  Just a suggestion.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1