BRB2 dates for 2024 announced

From an email:

w660_162036_brblogohorizontalblack800p.j
w660_1410163_brb2shoot2023jp_01382edit.j

2024 BRB2 performances announced

Following its spectacular opening performances earlier this year, which left audiences enthralled and wanting more, Birmingham Royal Ballet’s BRB2 returns in 2024 with more performances of Carlos Acosta's Classical Selection ( The Times and The Telegraph), starring some of the very best young dancers from around the world.

We're delighted to announce three of the five venues on the 2024 tour:

The Lighthouse, Poole
Saturday 18 May 2024, matinee and evening

Public booking: Friday 18 August

Derngate Theatre, Northampton
Saturday 25 May 2024, matinee and evening

Public booking: Friday 28 July, 10am

Marlowe Theatre, Canterbury
Tuesday 28 May 2024, matinee and evening

Public booking: Monday 7 August

More venues will be announced shortly.

If you saw BRB2 in 2023 we know you'll want to be there again, and bring your friends and family to see this sensational show. Be among the first to see the new members of BRB2 take centre stage. 

If you didn't make it this year you won't want to miss this second tour. For exciting talent and breathtaking dance, Carlos Acosta's Classical Selection is THE show to see, full of sparkling classical highlights that include Frederick Ashton’s exquisite Rhapsody (Rachmaninov), created for Mikhail Baryshnikov and Lesley Collier, Carlos’s own temperature-raising Carmen (after Bizet), Ben Van Cauwenbergh's popular French chanson-inspired Je ne regrette rien (Edith Piaf) and Les Bourgeois (Jacques Brel), Carlos’s interpretation of Fokine’s The Dying Swan (Saint-Saëns), and spectacular pas de deux from Bournonville’s delightful La Sylphide, the explosive Diana and Actaeon, and the iconic Swan Lake (Tchaikovsky). From sensational, heart-stopping moments to comic masterpieces, there’s instantly recognisable music and dance that brings the house down.

BRB2's 2024 tour is supported by David and Mary Laing, The Kirby Laing Foundation and The Linbury Trust.

• Like 1

I was hoping that they would be doing a different programme next season but it looks like it's exactly the same one. I'm not surprised that Peterborough isn't on the list of venues, given it did not sell well there this season.

• Like 1

I think it is similar to the old split tours BRB did to smaller venues. Programme 1 did certain theatres and Programme 2 went to others at the same time. The following year they swapped. This is only one programme, so they are doing it at different theatres for the second year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Each year it’s a different group of dancers … some move into the company or rise where and freshly graduated dancers join, so it’s not fully repetitive for all the BRB2 dancers.  

So also not fully repetitive for the audience either … we should expect different combinations of casts.  

• Like 1

Poole will be lovely in May and if can stay a couple of days a trip out to Brownsea Island is always worthwhile! 
And Studland is not far away if have a car. Going across to Studland  on the chain link ferry from Poole is always more fun than the drive round to it though. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/07/2023 at 21:17, Dawnstar said:

I was hoping that they would be doing a different programme next season but it looks like it's exactly the same one. I'm not surprised that Peterborough isn't on the list of venues, given it did not sell well there this season.

Peterborough and Cheltenham now announced as two additional venues

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Well, I hope they get a larger audience than this year, but given it's the same programme I'm not sure it'll encourage repeat visits.

Perhaps ‘word of mouth’ recommendations from those who saw the show plus favorable reviews from the first tour will bring in more people. It sometimes takes time to build an audience (at least it used to in the past).
On a more general note, I’m chuckling as I think that ‘the same programme’ in its various guises be it e.g. Swan Lake, Nutcracker etc etc has had me returning repeatedly to ballet for decades now 🙂 

Edited by PeterS
  • Like 1

I think there is a difference between seeing the classics repeatedly over the years and seeing exactly the same programme of exerpts. Obviously I don't expect a company to rechoreograph & have a new production of a full length ballet each year, but I do feel Acosta could select some different exerpts for the second year of BRB2. I feel the other difference is that repeat viewings of the same ballet are often because people want to see various favourite dancers in the roles whereas the BRB2 dancers are unknown to the general public so most people (apart from family & frineds) aren't going to be booking to see specific dancers.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Pas de Quatre said:

Are many of the venues the same as last year, I thought most were new?

I believe they appeared at Derngate and Peterborough last year.  The other venues are new and disappointingly nowhere up north. (Although Nottingham and Wolverhampton were the most northerly last year.)

How about the Lowry's Quays theatre or Southport's Atkinson Theatre or York or Durham?  York and Durham especially would attract BRB's North Eastern (and beyond) supporters.

• Like 3

I just don’t understand why once they’ve set up a small scale touring company they don’t just pull together a broad countrywide tour with daily dates over several months…. Like the tours of days of old by the likes of Ballet Russe, Pavlova & Sadlers Wells…. 
If there were more performances I actually think it would promote & increase audiences & demand for ballet long term…

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/08/2023 at 23:03, Peanut68 said:

I just don’t understand why once they’ve set up a small scale touring company they don’t just pull together a broad countrywide tour with daily dates over several months…. Like the tours of days of old by the likes of Ballet Russe, Pavlova & Sadlers Wells…. 
If there were more performances I actually think it would promote & increase audiences & demand for ballet long term…

I don’t have any insider knowledge of how the venues were picked, but it may be that some theatres already had shows booked and confirmed for the dates that BRB2 could do, and some theatres in other towns and cities which may have been keen to have them weren’t able to accommodate the show, whether it was number of dressing rooms, parking space for the lorries that transport their props, costumes and equipment, etc etc so it may not actually be possible for them to bring the current BRB2 programme there.

The Pavlova and Ballets Russes companies were also slightly different in one regard that they weren’t connected to any “home” company any more, in that the dancers and choreographers had completely cut their ties with the Imperial Theatre (the old equivalent of today’s Mariinsky Ballet) whereas most members of BRB2 are still part of BRB and have rehearsal/performing commitments with BRB, so are only dancing as BRB2 some of the time. Ballets Russes also only toured big cities with large theatres, while Pavlova was the opposite, performing on a lot of makeshift stages or on programmes combined with completely different genres -like the equivalent of Marianela Nuñez or Polina Semionova dancing on the same bill as a hip hop act, stand up comedian, a jazz band, and a cabaret act in a converted barn.....that would leave many critics and veteran dancegoers nowadays completely horrified 😳😂.

I think this BRB2 project is still in its infancy stages and doesn’t yet resemble other established junior companies like NDT2 and ABT Studio Company (whose members are not part of NDT and ABT respectively). It will be interesting to see if Carlos Acosta, Kit Holder and the board/management decide to develop it as a fully fledged ensemble with its own members who aren’t part of BRB. If they are separate, this means that they could be more flexible with both their time/availability as well as tailoring different repertoire to suit different theatres. I think it’s very exciting to see where there are headed, and I hope it will continue. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

A reminder press release:

PRESS RELEASE

3 October 2023

QlJCIGxvZ28ucG5n

xqxpBFe29YnTxSYCoFxfUeHCx40fklPYB8gPGrfS1Iaw-jL_9_26a-qhnf81t2PImwnWr8R1TX1baEZnPJ9CtixkiuW9cYiGUH4KD5SI2Ld6oIlLdHRmgOSfMtTNwls8a64K1e8OudfzyXECIN4VtA

• FOLLOWING A HUGELY SUCCESSFUL FIRST YEAR BIRMINGHAM ROYAL BALLET ANNOUNCES BRB2’s 2024 UK TOUR FROM 10 MAY - 1 JUNE

• 7 NEW DANCERS JOIN  2023’S INAUGURAL COHORT IN THIS COMPANY OF RISING STARS FOR THIS SPECIALLY CURATED SHOWCASE ALONGSIDE THEIR CONTINUED WORK WITH THE MAIN COMPANY

• BRB2’s 2024 TOUR VISITS THE EVERYMAN THEATRE CHELTENHAM, THE LIGHTHOUSE POOLE, NORTHAMPTON ROYAL AND DERNGATE, CANTERBURY MARLOWE THEATRE AND NEW THEATRE PETERBOROUGH

• CARLOS ACOSTA’S CLASSICAL SELECTION FEATURES PAS DE DEUX, SOLOS, AND DIVERTISSEMENTS BY CHOREOGRAPHERS INCLUDING FREDERICK ASHTON, PETER  WRIGHT, WILL TUCKETT, CARLOS ACOSTA AND MANY MORE

Launched in spring this year, BRB2 is the new initiative where BRB pro-actively seeks out some of the best young ballet graduates from around the world to join a two-year performance programme, providing vital employment for the next generation of exceptional ballet dancers (aged 18-22) to transition from training into jobs at BRB or other leading ballet companies, impacting the dance sector worldwide.

As the inaugural cohort has demonstrated, the programme acts as a magnet for the best UK and international talent, providing extensive training and professional experience, sending developed, professional dancers back into the dance sector and providing role models for the next generation.

The BRB2 dancers will not only train and perform with the whole Birmingham Royal Ballet company in major productions, but they are very much foregrounded in their own touring programme, supported by senior members of BRB's ballet staff.

In most ballet companies new joiners and artists can spend years working their way up to dancing principal roles; this showcase puts the spotlight on the new talent in Birmingham Royal Ballet’s ranks in an exciting, crowd-pleasing and challenging way. 

In this second year, the original cohort: Jack Easton, Frieda Kaden, Maïlène Katoch, Mason King and Oscar Kempsey Fagg are joined by seven new Artists selected by Carlos Acosta and Assistant Director Dominic Antonucci: Nasrullah Abdur-Rahman (USA / Boston Ballet School), Ariana Allen (UK / Royal Ballet School), Alisa Garkavenko (Ukraine / Princess Grace Academy), Thomas Hazelby (UK / Royal Ballet School), Rosa Lidia-Nuesi (Dominican Republic / Acosta Danza), Alexandra Manuel (USA / Royal Ballet School) and Alfie Shacklock (UK/Australia / Royal Ballet School).

The full Royal Ballet Sinfonia conducted by Paul Murphy will perform live in Northampton and for the rest of the tour there will be specially recorded music with End of Time and Dying Swan performed live by Jeanette Wong (Head of Piano) and Antonio Novais (Principal Cellist).

Carlos Acosta said: ‘Everyone was so delighted with how the inaugural year of BRB2 went. It’s hard to believe we’re in the starting blocks again with seven new Artists joining the company. The invaluable experience that the first cohort had is something that they can now share with the “next in line”, and they will also continue to grow and develop the second time around. I am so happy to be visiting some new venues this time as in Cheltenham, Poole and Canterbury where I hope audiences will be as enthusiastic as they were in Northampton and Peterborough, where we are excited to be returning. It’s not only an entertaining evening, it’s a great introduction to ballet for anyone in the “it’s not for me” camp. And for anyone who saw BRB2 last year I think everyone would agree that seeing such amazing young talent at the start of their careers in the spotlight, is a thrill and a privilege.’

BRB’s First Soloist, Kit Holder, will again lead BRB2 as Artistic Coordinator,  Kit Holder said: ‘Last year’s inaugural BRB2 tour was a huge success and set the bar very high both technically and artistically. It’s been wonderful to support the development of these young dancers who are already becoming seasoned professionals and I’m really excited by the seven new dancers who will join us this season to begin their professional careers. I look forward to showcasing the talents of all of these young artists with audiences across the country in the spring.’

The programme for the 2024 UK tour is the same as 2023 and includes: Pas de Deux from: Frederick Ashton’s Rhapsody - premiered at the Royal Ballet in 1980 by Mikhail Baryshnikov and Lesley Collier, Collier herself will be rehearsing the BRB2 duo who will perform this piece; August Bournonville’s most famous ballet La Sylphide; the love duet from Swan Lake - probably the most famous pas de deux in ballet; Carlos Acosta’s take on Fokine’s The Dying Swan which features two dancers instead of one (hence The Dying Swans plural)  and is double the usual length; Marius Petipa’s Diana and Actaeon pas de deux; Ben Stevenson’s End of Time set to Rachmaninov's gloriously melancholic Sonata in G Minor (3rd movement).

In the second half Gustavo Mollajoli’s A Buenos Aires celebrates the spirit of tango to music by Astor Piazzolla; the iconic Edith Piaf’s Je ne regrette rien choreographed by Ben Van Cauwenbergh, whose Jacques Brel-inspired humorous gala piece Les Bourgeois will also feature. Acosta’s choreography for the Carmen pas de deux promises to raise the temperature with Bizet’s heat-seeking score and Will Tuckett’s solo Nisi Dominus will reinstate some sense of calm to proceedings before Jorges Garcia’s Majisimo closes out the programme, performed to Massenet’s music from Le Cid.

See listings information for full tour details.

Listings information

Everyman Theatre Cheltenham

Fri 10 May 7.30pm; Sat 11 May 2pm & 7.30pm

The Lighthouse Poole

Sat 18 May 2.30pm & 7.45pm

Northampton Royal and Derngate

Sat 25 May 2.30pm & 7.30pm

Marlowe Theatre Canterbury

Wed 29 May 2.30pm & 7.30pm

New Theatre Peterborough

Sat 1 June 2.30pm & 7pm

Programme (may be subject to change in the new year)

Rhapsody – pas de deux

Choreography: Frederick Ashton

Music: Sergei Rachmaninov, Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini

La Sylphide – Act II pas de deux

Choreography: August Bournonville

Music: Herman Lovenskiold

Swan Lake – Act II pas de deux

Music: Pyotr Ilych Tchaikovsky

The Dying Swans

Choreography: Carlos Acosta (after Michel Fokine and Michel Descombes)

Music: Camille Saint-Saens

Diana and Actaeon – pas de deux

Choreography: Marius Petipa, Agrippina Vaganova

Music: Cesare Pugni

End of Time – pas de deux

Choreography: Ben Stevenson

Music: Sergei Rachmaninov, Cello Sonata in G Minor (3rd movement)

Interval

A Buenos Aires

Choreography: Gustavo Mollajoli

Music: Astor Piazzolla, Primavera Portena

Je ne regrette rien

Choreography: Ben Van Cauwenbergh

Music: Edith Piaf's Je ne regrette rien

Les Bourgeois

Choreography: Ben Van Cauwenbergh

Music: Jacques Brel’s Les Bourgeois

Carmen

Choreography: Carlos Acosta

Music: George Bizet – Shchedrin

Nisi Dominus

Choreography: Will Tuckett

Music: Claudio Monteverdi (from Vespers)

Majisimo

Choreography: Georges Garcia

Music: Jules Massenet (from Le Cid)

Notes to Editors

Birmingham Royal Ballet

Based at Birmingham Hippodrome, Birmingham Royal Ballet is the United Kingdom’s leading touring ballet company performing a range of traditional, classical and heritage ballets as well as ground-breaking new works with the aim of encouraging choreographers of the future.

The Company’s Director since January 2020 is the internationally renowned Carlos Acosta.

Birmingham Royal Ballet standardly performs at Birmingham Hippodrome for approximately ten weeks of the year and the remainder of the year tours throughout the United Kingdom and overseas. On average, the Company performs around 100 shows a year nationally and internationally.

As well as playing for Birmingham Royal Ballet, the Sinfonia plays for The Royal Ballet and has a long tradition of playing for tours by the world’s leading ballet companies, including Paris Opéra Ballet, New York City Ballet, San Francisco Ballet and The Australian Ballet. They have performed with Het Nationale Ballet, Queensland Ballet and Acosta Danza. They also worked with the Pet Shop Boys on The Most Incredible Thing. On the concert platform, the Sinfonia has also accompanied the National Opera Studio, the Voice of Black Opera competition and Opera North’s production of Carousel. They have recorded Edward Loder’s opera Raymond and Agnes with distinguished Australian conductor, Richard Bonynge.

• Like 1