Next season’s ROH operas

Geoff

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

Does anyone have any opinions on the current Rigoletto & La Forza del Destino productions? The casting for both (2nd cast for Rigoletto) is tempting but I'm dubious as to the productions.

I thought they were both fine. Not earth shattering, but did the job well and didn't get in the way of the opera or the singers. (That's all I ask for, in general.)

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

I thought they were both fine. Not earth shattering, but did the job well and didn't get in the way of the opera or the singers. (That's all I ask for, in general.)

Is the Rigoletto relatively new?  Last time I saw it at the ROH (years ago) I thought it was so crass and vulgar that I haven't returned to see it since.  If it's a new one, I would love to go as it's one of my favourite operas.  

2 minutes ago, Sim said:

Is the Rigoletto relatively new?  Last time I saw it at the ROH (years ago) I thought it was so crass and vulgar that I haven't returned to see it since.  If it's a new one, I would love to go as it's one of my favourite operas.  

Yes it is! I imagine you're thinking of the McVicar production, which had the usual assortment of attention-seekers drafted in. This production is by Oliver Mears - it opened the first full post-Covid season.

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Yes it is! I imagine you're thinking of the McVicar production, which had the usual assortment of attention-seekers drafted in. This production is by Oliver Mears - it opened the first full post-Covid season.

Yes, I am referring to that God-awful McVicar production.  Thanks, I will give the Mears version a go!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sim said:

Yes, I am referring to that God-awful McVicar production.  Thanks, I will give the Mears version a go!

Good! It is a wonderful opera, but so distressing - I always find myself praying for a different ending!

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Nowadays I settle for productions that I don't actively dislike. I gave up some years ago on hoping for anything more than that, with opera houses ditching all the lovely lavish period older productions & bringing in minimalist modern replacements.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Dawnstar said:

Nowadays I settle for productions that I don't actively dislike. I gave up some years ago on hoping for anything more than that, with opera houses ditching all the lovely lavish period older productions & bringing in minimalist modern replacements.

Yes...I often just close my eyes and listen.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dawnstar said:

I read recently in Opera magazine (the gossipy page) that there's a new Tosca planned for 24/25, which seems perverse.

I was interested also to see that the Kosky Carmen is to be replaced already - you'd expect a Carmen production to last a decade or more, surely.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Sim said:

Yes...I often just close my eyes and listen.

I don't bother to go in that case, because if I'm going to just listen then I can listen to a CD or the radio much more cheaply!

51 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

I read recently in Opera magazine (the gossipy page) that there's a new Tosca planned for 24/25, which seems perverse.

I was interested also to see that the Kosky Carmen is to be replaced already - you'd expect a Carmen production to last a decade or more, surely.

Yes, considering Tosca is one of their few traditional productions that's left the thought of it being replaced is rather depressing. I doubt that Carmen will be considered a loss, as most people seemed to really dislike it, but yes it seems a waste of money to ditch it after only something like 6 years.

• Like 1

I agree with this- I have almost given up going to opera at ROH as the old productions have  slowly gone, and the amount of spectacle and gorgeousness dwindled in inverse proportion to the steep price rises..

So I tend to go to the smaller companies now. ETO are often good (although the productions are a mixed bag and the recent run had some very bizarre shenanigans involving rolling around on the floor with a coffee table which bore no relation I could see to the aria being sung, the character, the opera, the period or anything else...)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

Yes, considering Tosca is one of their few traditional productions that's left the thought of it being replaced is rather depressing. I doubt that Carmen will be considered a loss, as most people seemed to really dislike it, but yes it seems a waste of money to ditch it after only something like 6 years.

The royal opera has always had a tendency to be somewhat profligate 😞

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mary said:

So I tend to go to the smaller companies now. ETO are often good (although the productions are a mixed bag and the recent run had some very bizarre shenanigans involving rolling around on the floor with a coffee table which bore no relation I could see to the aria being sung, the character, the opera, the period or anything else...)

Which of the operas had this? Giulio Cesare? I saw ETO less than 2 weeks ago & can't recall a moment exactly like that. Though it could have been one of the things I missed from my restricted view seats. However at least with ETO I'm paying £25 for restricted view & it's only 5 miles away, vs £60+ & 60 miles for the ROH, so I tend to be a lot less bothered by the odd dud ETO production. I reasonably enjoyed all 3 of the latest tour, with Il Viaggio a Reims my favourite (apart from the last couple of minutes).

• Like 1

Yes Giulio Cesare. I think they were coffee tables..they were sort of glass topped boxes. There was a lot of rolling around, also balancing on the edge of one of these which was terribly distracting as i just had visions all the time of whoever was doing it breaking their ankle.

What on earth it had to do with Giulio Cesare- such a cracking opera, though possibly just a bit too - er, difficult for this particular cast- I really do not know.

However I do like ETO - agree they are good value, pretty reliable  - and they work so hard. Usually the productions are simple and serviceable.  They do an excellent job of taking opera round the country don't they.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mary said:

What on earth it had to do with Giulio Cesare- such a cracking opera, though possibly just a bit too - er, difficult for this particular cast- I really do not know.

I like and admire ETO a lot but sometimes they bite off more than they can chew!

(If you fancy a jaunt to Paris, there's a very good cast for Cesare next season.)

• Like 1

Restricted view seats have their advantages..

I am wondering about this new Ring,- I seem to recall the Director is not noted for attractive productions? I am ignorant on this front. I never much liked the previous production which I saw over a few years, never in one year. It seemed to me, apart from the beautiful opening, rather an ugly fest.

25 minutes ago, Mary said:

I am wondering about this new Ring,- I seem to recall the Director is not noted for attractive productions? I am ignorant on this front. I never much liked the previous production which I saw over a few years, never in one year. It seemed to me, apart from the beautiful opening, rather an ugly fest.

I gave his Carmen a miss so have only seen the Nose, which was entertaining but not a very good opera. Some people adore his work. I think the Glyndebourne Saul is much liked?

Yes, agree that the Keith Warner Ring was not a feast for the eyes. Besides, I have a mental list of modern opera production clichés and too many of them applied.

Edited by Lizbie1
Clarifying which Warner
  • Like 1

Interested to see the new Ring, hopefully it’s traditional not like Barrie Kosky’s other productions. A new Carmen sounds great. Also Is it just me or does La Boheme have way less performances, is it not a good seller or is it the usual amount?

Edited by Benjamin

Regarding unattractive productions, I was considering seeing Aida at the ROH, but it seems like such a ‘grey’ production that I decided to save my money. I went to the Ukrainian opera company/Ellen Kent production of Aida at the Churchill in Bromley instead. I thought it was rather good for £30 and an excellent seat.

• Like 2

On 27/04/2023 at 08:38, CCL said:

Regarding unattractive productions, I was considering seeing Aida at the ROH, but it seems like such a ‘grey’ production that I decided to save my money. 

The problem for me was more the grey conducting and playing (with the usual sloppiness by the ROH band). I know it is probably rather out of place to criticise St Antonio this final season, but after that night I determined never to see another Aida. Then my resolve broke and I got a last minute return for the sold out all-stars performance in Vienna (with not only she who must not be mentioned but other world beaters as well) and was transformed. The Vienna orchestra - masterfully conducted by Nicola Luisotti - found music I never knew that score contained, so I will now be going back to Aida again.

Edited by Geoff
  • Like 3