Stressed about RAD exam results

DeterminedDancer

Hi everyone! I took my  RAD exam for grade 4 yesterday and I messed up on one combination (Jetes ordinaires) at the beginning. Started doing an assamble back insted. I quickly realized and saved the rest of the combination, but I am extremely stressed as I always get distinction on my exams. Worried this may hurt my score (especially because my studio has had the examiner and has said she is strict but fair  with her marking). I don't think i made any more mistakes in the entire exam, and tried my hardest at the rest of the exercises. The exercise is part of Technique 3 section I think. Do you think that I will still get distinction after this mistake? (something similar happened last year during my exam and I still got distinction, but the examiner wasn't at strict i guess.

21 minutes ago, DeterminedDancer said:

Hi everyone! I took my  RAD exam for grade 4 yesterday and I messed up on one combination (Jetes ordinaires) at the beginning. Started doing an assamble back insted. I quickly realized and saved the rest of the combination, but I am extremely stressed as I always get distinction on my exams. Worried this may hurt my score (especially because my studio has had the examiner and has said she is strict but fair  with her marking). I don't think i made any more mistakes in the entire exam, and tried my hardest at the rest of the exercises. The exercise is part of Technique 3 section I think. Do you think that I will still get distinction after this mistake? (something similar happened last year during my exam and I still got distinction, but the examiner wasn't at strict i guess.

No one can predict your grades. 
Please don’t waste any more time worrying about this. What’s done is done and until you get the certificate you can’t know what the grade is. 
Distinctions are more valuable the higher the grade (Intermediate/advanced one etc) so I really wouldn’t worry for a grade 4. 
I hope you get the distinction you hope for. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DeterminedDancer said:

No as long as you demonstrate the step correctly technically I think you’ll be fine. Don’t worry ! And as the above poster said it really is not that important in the long term - no one will even ask you in all likelihood as you progress through the grades. Anyone and everyone  can have a bad day ! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kerfuffle said:

No as long as you demonstrate the step correctly technically I think you’ll be fine. Don’t worry ! And as the above poster said it really is not that important in the long term - no one will even ask you in all likelihood as you progress through the grades. Anyone and everyone  can have a bad day ! 

Please try not to worry too much - they won’t take several marks off for one mistake in one exercise. You will be scored on various aspects of technique - control, line, co-ordination of movement, spatial awareness etc. This is what the examiners are looking for rather than remembering each exercise perfectly. 
Fingers crossed you get the result you’re hoping for. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My teacher who is an examiner says they rarely won't award marks because of a mistake. The examiners are human and they want you to do well! They know nerves can play a part and even the best students can occasionally flub an exercise. They are looking at how you do the step and how you perform overall in the exam. If you are continually making mistakes or seem to not adequately know the exam material, that would be different, but if you made a mistake and then corrected yourself, I doubt it would lead to you not being awarded a large number of marks. I also remember doing my intermediate exam (I think) and for one exercise I got almost to the end before realising that somewhere along the way I'd gotten confused and started doing a completely different exercise... 😂 But I still got a good mark for that section and a distinction overall so I don't think they took that into account too harshly. Fingers crossed for you!

• Like 1

This is exactly why I tell my students that what happens in the actual exam is less important than the work they put in preparing for it.  Anything can go wrong in an exam and it's highly likely that under stress you won't do your best, but I can assure you that all the effort you've put in will show its true worth long after the exam certificate has been stuffed away in a drawer!  You will have strengthened and improved your technique - you will have developed your dance quality and musicality and overall you will have become a better dancer.  How do I know that? Because I see it happen every year with my own students.  Of course every student hopes to get Distinction, but whether or not you do, you will still have gained so much as a dancer.  So forget about it and get on with working towards the next level!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

From what I gather Solo Seal is either pass or not - ie not with grades such as Distinction or Merit.  I imagine that they would look at the dancer overall and not fail her for one slip.  If your daughter is taking Solo Seal that must mean she's passed Advanced 2 with Distinction, which is amazing!   Much luck to her!!!   You must be so proud of her achievements!

34 minutes ago, Dance*is*life said:

From what I gather Solo Seal is either pass or not - ie not with grades such as Distinction or Merit.  I imagine that they would look at the dancer overall and not fail her for one slip.  If your daughter is taking Solo Seal that must mean she's passed Advanced 2 with Distinction, which is amazing!   Much luck to her!!!   You must be so proud of her achievements!

Thank you for the positive comment, yes she did pass with a high distinction and yes you are right it is with a pass or fail- you have to get 8 and over in every section on 4 solos, it’s tough and very few pass this, even if she don’t pass it was a great day and experience, I just didn’t want a fall on a slippery floor to effect the result x 

thanks you 

• 3 weeks later...

My teacher has said on multiple occasions it's not the syllabus itself you're marked on--it's how you present it. Of course, if you really have no idea what you're doing, then you'll obviously fail! But one little mistake won't hurt. You still did *a* jete, so it may not even have caught the examiner's eye. I messed up (quite badly) in my g4 exam Sautés, but it didn't affect my Distinction.

My Distinction record became very stressful to me, because once I'd got good marks so many times, people expected me to keep succeeding. I'm kind of glad I've broken it with grade 5! Sometimes you have to mentally let go of that record, and if you do that before you get the results, it's much easier.

Best of luck!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...