Hatch House Event July 2023

Sim

44 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Which led me to this (also Covent Garden Dance )

Hatch House (@hatchhousewiltshire) • Instagram photos and videos

The Dicky Buckle Fund charity fundraiser evening is now on 18th February 6-8pm at the Port Regis theatre. To book email admin@dickybucklefund.com

Naghdi/Bracewell (RB) and Oliveria/Snyder (ENB) featured dancers.

Although the ad uses a photo of Kaneko/Muntagirov, who are not participating.  A bit misleading…

18 minutes ago, Sim said:

Although the ad uses a photo of Kaneko/Muntagirov, who are not participating.  A bit misleading…

And disrespectful (if that's actually a word) to the dancers.

They've had plenty of time to fix it. The event was apparently rescheduled from December 2022 (when Kaneko was participating) and even then they used Muntagirov's picture instead of Bracewell's.  

I’m so fed-up of seeing dancers used in advertising that don’t relate to the show.  

If the dancers had agents … they’d be on the phone to claim fees for the dancers and the photographers.   You can bet if they used a photo of Nureyev that his Foundation would be claiming, and rightly so.   Just because these dancers aren’t as famous doesn’t mean they should be used in this way.  

😡 lots of problems with thdd Ed ballet industry … this is one.  

• Like 3

I’m intrigued by opportunities for these type of glamorous nights of dance….(mostly only can be for ‘window shopping’ but could drop subtle hints to the Hubbie around birthday & well, you never know 😉

Is there a definitive list or best way to hear of these? I seem to not be on a lot of mail lists I’d like to get marketing emails from!

Uk & overseas…. Anyone have lists of ‘must join’ marketing agencies/producers/venues they’d be happy to share? I’d really appreciate any info - thanks x

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

I’m intrigued by opportunities for these type of glamorous nights of dance….(mostly only can be for ‘window shopping’ but could drop subtle hints to the Hubbie around birthday & well, you never know 😉

Is there a definitive list or best way to hear of these? I seem to not be on a lot of mail lists I’d like to get marketing emails from!

Uk & overseas…. Anyone have lists of ‘must join’ marketing agencies/producers/venues they’d be happy to share? I’d really appreciate any info - thanks x

I think this forum is the list, Peanut68.....it certainly is for me. 😊Very efficient it is too! 

A lot of dancers nowadays have agents, especially if they are interested in doing modelling, ad work, or film/tv appearances. In the past, a lot of requests just went via the ballet company they danced with, or by letter sent to them at the dance company address. Only the big stars who often freelanced eg Nureyev had agents. Sylvie Guillem acted as her own agent, feeling quite confident at negotiating her own pay and contracts.

• Like 1

Some dancers have agents now, but not all.  Only some principals and soloists at RB do.  Maybe a few others who have modelling contracts.  Probably very few dancers do, at other companies. This is rather different to the acting industry where everyone has an agent.  I bet almost none of the Paris Opera dancers have agents.  

Sergei Polunin revealed he was offered a larger salary at RB in order NOT to hire an agent.  That’ll be only 10-11 years ago and he was already a principal and in demand globally at that time.  (RB mgmt wouldn’t let him guest elsewhere either).   A lot of things have changed since.  For the better IMO.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

The official press release:

*Press Release*

Étoiles of Paris Opera Ballet and friends will light up the stage at Hatch House in July.

“Simply Magical! The Glyndebourne of Ballet” 

— Country Life Magazine

For the first time since the production launched in 2010, present and future stars of The Paris Opera Ballet will perform in aspectacular production at Hatch House from 27th-30th July. The Covent Garden Dance Company will create their annual 430-seat dinner theatre within the 17th-century walled garden.

The world-famous Étoiles – Valentine Colasante, Myriam Ould-Braham and Guillaume Diop – will be joined by a star-studded line up including Royal Ballet superstars Francesca Hayward and Cesar Corrales and world-renowned Staatsballett Berlin principals, Ksenia Ovsyanick and Dinu Tamazlacaru. The show will also feature the return of Hatch House favourite and former Royal Ballet Principal, Mara Galeazzi.  

image003.jpg.1fc68548fda6eb2bdb0c2370787e1b48.jpg

Etoiles of Paris Opera Ballet & Friends at Hatch House takes place in the intimate surroundings of the walled garden which will be covered by a bespoke roof.  An additional fourth night has been added for 2023 after last year's return post-Covid sold out over the three nights.

“I can’t wait to experience this unique and stunning venue with all of you” 

— Valentine Colasante, Etoile, Paris Opera Ballet  

This year’s event is a feast for the senses, inspired by the 1920s ‘années folles’ in Paris. On arrival, guests can look forward to Parisian cocktails from the Café Folle cocktail bar and the chance to explore the gardens where they will discover a series of outdoor installations created by guest artist, Hugo Dalton. The house and gardens overlook the beautiful Vale of Wardour. 

During the packed programme of dance, the audience will be seated at tables of ten in the two-tier walled garden. They will be greeted with a gourmet dinner hamper (‘à table’) which is paired with wines from renowned wine merchant, Gardner and Beedle. Twelve world-class ballet performances, from classical to contemporary, will light up the stage including Rudolph Nureyev’s Romeo and Juliet, plus further works by Béjart, Martinez, Lacotte and many more.  

All-inclusive tickets are from £185 which includes all world-class performances, gourmet dinner hamper, pre- and post-show cocktail bar, and parking. To book, visit: www.coventgardendance.com

“With some of the greatest dancers from the world’s most famous companies performing in 2023, our audiences are in for what we hope will be an unforgettable and magical night. Whether they are ballet and dance regulars, or first-timers, we look forward to welcoming them to Hatch House

— Matt Brady, Company Director

Étoiles of Paris Opera Ballet & Friends is created and produced by The Covent Garden Dance Company, led by Matt Brady.  Their ethos is to present world class ballet and dance, alongside gourmet dining, in stunning locations around the world. Hatch House is their flagship venue. 

Notes for Editors:

About Covent Garden Dance Company:

Founded in 2006 by Matt Brady, The Covent Garden Dance Company creates pop-up dance theatre and events around the world from Wiltshire to Dubai. The company’s fresh approach brings together new and established talents in the fields of production, choreography, musical composition and design to create original and entertaining work.

The Covent Garden Dance Company takes beautiful, unique locations and creates stunning 400+ seat dinner theatres. Company director Matt Brady’s passion for dance began as a child, watching his godmother, Violetta Elvin, perform as a prima ballerina with The Royal Ballet.  After being inspired by an incredible Rambert performance in Brighton, Matt become a dance and ballet devotee, watching 1-2 performances a week.  Matt’s dream to share the transportive magic of dance with as many people as possible, has become a reality through the creation of The Covent Garden Dance Company. 

Socials:

Instagram: @coventgardendance

Twitter: @coventgrdndance

Facebook: www.facebook.com/coventgardendance/

• Like 3

I’m glad to see Diop acknowledged as an Etoile in the press release, as the flyer/poster has him listed  on the second line of POB dancers. Yes, it could have been designed at the time he was a sujet but he was promoted on March 11, 2023. 

• Like 1

On 14/02/2023 at 11:27, Sim said:

I went and Fumi did actually dance as Yasmin had an injury, William Bracewell stepped in as Fumi's partner. It was incredible

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tw1nklet0es said:

I went and Fumi did actually dance as Yasmin had an injury, William Bracewell stepped in as Fumi's partner. It was incredible

Well that was a good piece of luck as far as the advertising was concerned, considering that neither Fumi nor Vadim were scheduled to dance!  Glad you enjoyed it.  :)

• Like 2

On 16/06/2023 at 13:25, tw1nklet0es said:

??? the 2023 event is in July.  By my calendar it is 18 June today 

maybe there is some confusion.   The discussion was about using dancers from a previous event (Fumi and Vadim) on the advertising for the upcoming event where they are not scheduled to appear.  

On 16/06/2023 at 13:25, tw1nklet0es said:

1 hour ago, FionaE said:

??? the 2023 event is in July.  By my calendar it is 18 June today 

tw1nklet0es' post was, I think, in response to this one:

On 14/02/2023 at 10:41, oncnp said:

Which led me to this (also Covent Garden Dance )

Hatch House (@hatchhousewiltshire) • Instagram photos and videos

The Dicky Buckle Fund charity fundraiser evening is now on 18th February 6-8pm at the Port Regis theatre. To book email admin@dickybucklefund.com

Naghdi/Bracewell (RB) and Oliveria/Snyder (ENB) featured dancers.

• Like 2

On 16/06/2023 at 17:13, Sim said:

Well that was a good piece of luck as far as the advertising was concerned, considering that neither Fumi nor Vadim were scheduled to dance!  Glad you enjoyed it.  :)

Thanks Sim. I believe there was an injury, which must happen A LOT! Was so happy we got to go and it wasn't cancelled. 

• Like 1

Some neighbours mentioned this recently   I hadn’t heard of it. 

https://www.hatch-house.co.uk/covent-garden-dance-company

Does anyone here know about it, or has been? It looks rather pricey but perhaps no more than stalls plus dinner at ROH. It could be a treat. Or … not?? Looks a bit cabaret and I am not sure I like the idea of eating and drinking while the dancers are on. 
Would be very interested to hear any opinions

There's more about it here, though I have no personal experience

https://www.facebook.com/coventgardendance

https://www.facebook.com/hatchhousevenue/

'Simply magical! The Glyndebourne of ballet!' says Country Life, though clearly you can't take your own picnic.

Video clips

https://www.facebook.com/coventgardendance/videos/hatch-house-2023-is-set-to-be-an-unforgettable-experience-for-ballet-enthusiasts/944856483388991/

https://www.coventgardendance.com/

I gather it's in aid of a very good cause, fundraising for The Dickie Buckle Fund, a charity (so named after Richard Buckle, for those oldies like me who remember):

http://dickybucklefund.com/

https://www.facebook.com/dickybucklefund

It looks delightful. Certainly there are wonderful dancers involved.  Tickets have sold out for some evenings already.

Edited by Ondine

1 hour ago, Ondine said:

I gather it's in aid of a very good cause, fundraising for The Dickie Buckle Fund, a charity (so named after Richard Buckle, for those oldies like me who remember):

Actually I don't know if this event is in aid of the fund, though previous Covent Garden Dance Company events have been. It's not very specific about this Hatch House event.

As a company we are dedicated to producing new and original work to the highest degree of excellence on young and emerging creatives.  A large part of our performance programmes are based on original works created by the company from its endeavours and the profits generated from them.  We are strongly committed to building and educating new audiences, young and old, which includes delivering not only educational workshops in conjunction with all performances whenever possible but to strive to find inspiring locations to present the art at its best. 

The original ‘Bijou Ballet’ event concept was created with the hope that we might encourage and instil the same passion and love of dance that this company was founded upon.

The Dickie Buckle Fund:

• Dicky Buckle Fund CIO is a small grant giving charity that supports young and emerging creative talents, charitable artistic causes and education, with a focus on ballet and dance”   Named after the wonderfully outrageous ballet critic Richard Buckle, The Dicky Buckle Fund was founded to assist in widening access to support for creative work and to broaden access to dance in general. The charity offers small grants to successful applicants for the creation of original work, educational projects and artistic support. We have particular interest in projects that help further education in the arts, particularly those relating to dance. It is the charity’s ethos to not only give young creative talent the opportunity to produce new and exciting work, but to also help provide a platform for it to be presented on. As part of the charity’s efforts to widen access to dance activity for all, we have just started to expand the charity’s work to include working with children. We particularly hope to assist with giving children with disabilities and illness the opportunity to enjoy dance and ballet, just as much as those with greater access and opportunity
Edited by Ondine

Does the audience eat and drink while the dancers are on? Or are there intervals for eating? And, is the music live or recorded? It could be lovely but I wonder if it could be a bit of a cabaret

The eating (not sure about drinking) seems to be not while the dancers are on.  The info is that there are two 'halves' of ballet and

The audience is seated at tables and served dinner in between the ballet performances.

I suspect it's recorded music. No mention of live music that I've seen.

I'm sure it is a bit of a cabaret really,  and not like Glyndebourne (!) in that you are sitting at the tables where the food is served throughout, not in a theatre.  However, these are outstanding dancers, lovely setting, the makings of a pleasant evening so long as it doesn't rain and the food and the company at your table is good. No mention of menus.

Yes I know it's covered, but who remembers the Royal Ballet in the Big Top, with the rain beating down on the canvas and drowning out the orchestra?

It's really a glorified gala, isn't it? But probably fun.

(PS. Not sure why I wrote The Dickie Buckle Fund above, more than once,  when clearly it's the Dicky Buckle Fund and I can't go back and edit now.)

Edited by Ondine

I can't see that Mandy Kent did actually do a write-up of last year's event as she had hoped, but if you use the forum search facility to search for "Hatch House" you'll find plenty of posts about previous performances.

• 4 weeks later...

So my friend actually won 2x tickets to this event via a Country Life giveaway - looks like I'll be going on the opening night! (27th)

We're seated on one of the back row tables (although the website states that the back two rows are now elevated?) Can anyone speak for the quality of the sightlines?  

Organising travel was a bit of a palava as neither of us drive, but we've just about managed it with taxis / trains and nearby accommodation! (although at the time we were looking, there was very little left to choose from)

Organisational gremlins aside, I'm very excited - particularly to see Francesca Hayward who is one of my favourites, as well as the Paris Etoiles :)

I was hoping we might get Frankie and Cesar's balcony pas de deux as suggested by the poster, but the show guide says it'll be Frankie & Marco Masciari performing Within the Golden Hour (Looks like Luna Peigné and Guillaume Diop of the PoB will dance Balcony instead :) ) also really looking forward to Myriam Ould-Braham in the White Swan pas de deux. 

I'm not going to hold my breath, but does anyone know whether the dancers mingle after the performance?

• Like 5