Just back from this evening’s performance of the new Pam Tanowitz double bill (which also has a film).

I’m totally new to her work, but am aware she’s had success in America. Her style is definitely rooted in Merce Cunningham’s technique, but possesses a quirky humour. It took some warming up to, and some dancers seemed a bit uncomfortable in this aesthetic. That being said the cast - made up of mostly young corps de ballet dancers - threw themselves into the work as best they could.

The premiere work ‘Secret Things’ has some interesting elements, but is overall rather forgettable. ‘Everybody Keeps Me’, which is being revived for the first time, resonated much more both emotionally and choreographically. If Merce had his way with a Robbins ballet; that was the impression I got from this piece.  Taisuke Nakao in the latter ballet had great command in manning an unenviably long solo. 

There was also a short screening of the ‘Dispatch Duet’, which featured at the recent anniversary gala. Ironically, this was the strongest piece choreographically in my eyes, a shame they couldn’t bring it to the Linbury.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

17 hours ago, LACAD said:

Just back from this evening’s performance of the new Pam Tanowitz double bill (which also has a film).

I’m totally new to her work, but am aware she’s had success in America. Her style is definitely rooted in Merce Cunningham’s technique, but possesses a quirky humour. It took some warming up to, and some dancers seemed a bit uncomfortable in this aesthetic. That being said the cast - made up of mostly young corps de ballet dancers - threw themselves into the work as best they could.

The premiere work ‘Secret Things’ has some interesting elements, but is overall rather forgettable. ‘Everybody Keeps Me’, which is being revived for the first time, resonated much more both emotionally and choreographically. If Merce had his way with a Robbins ballet; that was the impression I got from this piece.  Taisuke Nakao in the latter ballet had great command in manning an unenviably long solo. 

There was also a short screening of the ‘Dispatch Duet’, which featured at the recent anniversary gala. Ironically, this was the strongest piece choreographically in my eyes, a shame they couldn’t bring it to the Linbury.

Thank you for the informative review, LACAD. Am hoping to be able to get to this if I can clear one evening in my schedule. Am going to be slightly cheeky here and say that if Ms Tanowitz can be persuaded to try my suggestion, Dispatch Duet would be greatly improved (and everyone’s hearing saved) by abandoning the raucous score and dancing Dispatch Duet in silence, which would make it feasible for staging in the Linbury as well as enhancing the choreography. 

• Like 1

Short'n'sweet - really enjoyed the evening. The middle film of 'Dispatch Duet' was an enhancement to the main stage original, I thought. The first piece ('Secret Things') was interesting, but I'm still processing, though not keen on some of the costumes. Seeing it again Thursday, and looking forward to it. Though not as much as the final piece ('Everyone Keeps Me'). I remember enjoying this first time round, but really liked it a lot this time, with the more junior ranked dancers this time, equitting themselves beautifully. Hope they keep this one around

Much the same here, zzDaveM. Everyone Keeps Me is the one that kept me wanting to see it again. I found the filmed Dispatch Duet worked far better for me than the previous staged version. And Secret Things was the proverbial curate’s egg. And some very engaging performances from the more junior dancers. Glad I went. 

• Like 1