Elmhurst Y7 auditions

Millicent

8 minutes ago, Millicent said:

Actually, reading it again I'm even more confused as they are inviting us to a lunch and school tour on the second day. So maybe they just mean that the content of the day will depend on panel deliberations rather than if you will be invited back or not for day 2.

It says the itinerary for day 2 won't be emailed until 4pm on day 1 due to panel deliberations. I wonder if it means they won't know until then whether they want to see certain people again or do a repeat physio or something like that?

I just think the 2nd day will be individual to each child as in they might want to see another child again to speak to or for physio check so they cant give us that itinerary until they have seen them all. There may be clear Yes and some unsure about but def there for both days for lunch and tour

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Adagio123 said:

I just think the 2nd day will be individual to each child as in they might want to see another child again to speak to or for physio check so they cant give us that itinerary until they have seen them all. There may be clear Yes and some unsure about but def there for both days for lunch and tour

Also it could be that they are split into smaller groups and seen like that as it says earliest registration and latest to be on site. I am just guessing here though

30 minutes ago, sunrise81 said:

There's plenty of parking nearby tbh! We have a family event on Friday and we are parking at the wildlife conservation park car park just 5 minutes walk away......or down at the MAC centre too

Thanks. I didn't realise that so that's v helpful

Edited by Hanmah67
  • Like 1

Does anyone know if the content of the final audition class is much different than the semi-final? I have heard that the Elmhurst YD's are "drilled" on the content of the auditions so I'm wondering if they have some kind of advantage over those who know nothing of Elmhurst or their teaching style. 

Also, does anyone know roughly how many are invited to the final and how many places there are for girls? 

When my DD auditioned there was no semi final, but she said the final was much the same as the first round. Also she was never an Elm YD so don't worry about them having any advantage at all. There were about 50 in my DDs year and 15 got places, but it varies each year. They take who they like rather than having an equal number of boys and girls.

6 minutes ago, RubyM said:

Gosh 50 in the final is a lot! I thought it would be more like 30, like WL finals.

The final this year is not the same as previous years. I believe they used to take around 50 to finals and have everyone there on day 1 and make a cut at the end of that day and only take half to day 2. I believe this year they have changed it and are taking less to finals to start with and seeing them all over the 2 days. But no idea what that final number is

1 hour ago, DanceMum03 said:

Do you think a prepared solo will be required for the second day seeing as we aren't being told about the format of the second day until after the first? It says one won't be needed for the first day but doesn't mention the second.

I really can’t see that this would happen - not all of the children will have a solo and they’d need notice to prepare one, plus music. You could always email Rachal in admissions to check but it would be very mean!!

On 20/02/2023 at 19:38, RubyM said:

Does anyone know if the content of the final audition class is much different than the semi-final? I have heard that the Elmhurst YD's are "drilled" on the content of the auditions so I'm wondering if they have some kind of advantage over those who know nothing of Elmhurst or their teaching style. 

Also, does anyone know roughly how many are invited to the final and how many places there are for girls? 

I’m really interested to know the answers to this too. Finding it difficult to find anything on this forum when I search. I’m curious to know whether they will be asked questions in an informal/formal interview like they are at WL for instance. I know there is a ‘getting to know you’ 5-10 min session but it doesn’t elaborate on what is included. Also wondering what the physio screening will involve.  

@RubyM and @Balletmum92 I can answer your questions based on last year. My pupil is now in Year 7 there and thriving.

The content of the second round audition class was much the same:

Simple barre

Skip and flick

Relevé in 5th, pirouette

Simple jumps

Grand battement in 4 counts in centre

They also did a jazz class. My pupil had never done this style before and it sounds like it was pretty disastrous, but she was offered a place straight away so don’t despair if that’s you! She also was not an Elmhurst YD though she was an RBS JA.

In the interview, she was asked about her favourite and least favourite school subjects, how long she’d been dancing and why she loves it, and about her heritage. It was informal and friendly and she was also given the opportunity to ask questions.

In the physio screening, they asked her to completely relax her foot and circled the ankle and pointed her foot for her. On her back, they looked at how far her hamstrings went and rotated her hips in the socket. I believe that was it. In the class though, they had to stand facing every direction so the panel could check for symmetry and proportions and they had to slide into the splits with no hands.

Hope that helps! 

• Like 1

Thanks @MissEmily. I have a few questions:

What is skip and flick?!

What if they can't get into splits without using hands? My DD has flat splits in all directions but has to use her hands to get there!

Was the jazz on the first day or the second (I know there were call backs last year on day 2 so it was a bit different to this year)? It would be odd to spring this on them without any notice on the second day (it's not mentioned for the first day). My DD has never done Jazz!

Edited by RubyM
Mad phone adding extra spaces everywhere

1) Turning skips, the “flick” referring to the spotting head

2) I’m afraid I’m not sure how serious that would be! Something for her to practise between now and then?! I’m only referring to front splits.

3) If the jazz hasn’t been mentioned then I would have thought that means it’s not happening. I’m afraid I can’t remember which day it was on. I THINK the first though.

• 2 weeks later...

From what I could work out there were about 40 but some of those, I don't know how many, were for Y8. But I found the whole thing very confusing in terms of numbers as there were 13 on our tour but 28 in the auditon class and don't know why they were put into different groups for day 2 or what that meant. Trying not to read anything into anything!

On 10/03/2023 at 11:43, RubyM said:

From what I could work out there were about 40 but some of those, I don't know how many, were for Y8. But I found the whole thing very confusing in terms of numbers as there were 13 on our tour but 28 in the auditon class and don't know why they were put into different groups for day 2 or what that meant. Trying not to read anything into anything!

I think there were 3 groups of 12/13 or 14 girls but grouped two together to allow people to leave earlier due to the weather. Therefore there were only 2 classes as opposed to 3 separate ones.  I believe!

Are some DCs offered summer school through this process or is that a totally different route? I would love to have been a fly on the wall to see what they did. What a fantastic experience. Would love to know what the group swapping was all about… or maybe weather like Adagio123 said. 

The two classes put together was because of the snow and allowing people to leave earlier. But they weren't in the same groups as they were in day 1, so there is speculation that the day 2 groups were somehow meaningful in terms of whether you were a yes, no or maybe. But who knows?!