Mayerling - Paris Opera Ballet

I'm sure many of us would be interested in Forum members' reports on/impressions of the Paris production 🙏 

I know if I were in Europe right now I'd be doing my best to ensure I saw at least one performance by every cast in both London and Paris...and I'm reading with such admiration and envy the reports of Vadim Muntagirov as Rudolf.

Edited by Sophoife
Added bit about Muntagirov
  • Like 8

• Sophoife changed the title to Mayerling - Paris Opera Ballet

I booked for it a couple of years ago but it was cancelled by Covid, decided against booking again this season as it was on at the ROH but very interested to see how it's going. The perfect theatre for such a lavish show!

• Like 1

To sum up briefly, she finds much of the ballet cumbersome (she likes the shortened version for Scottish Ballet) and simplistic, thinks it looks old fashioned although realises that the sets and costumes are supposed to convey the stuffy restrictions of the Hapsburg court, and says that the ballet hinges on the pas de deux and the performances by the lead characters, which she praises very highly.  She is very impressed with all three of them (Hugo Marchand, Dorothee Gilbert and Hannah O'Neill as Larisch).  She says that the Mary/Rudolf pdd are performed in a really carnal way, embodying the poisonous nature of their relationship and the curse that they live under.  She says that that is unforgettable.

• Like 3