Pineapple open ballet class

Laura_ballet

Good morning

Whilst my daughter is in rehearsals at ROH I’ve got enough time to get a class in at pineapple. Im looking at the class with Anna Du Boisson. It says “GEN” (general) in terms of level however I’ve been to a few GEN classes and they are actually more like adv/pro. Anyone taken Anna’s class before? Or have any recommendations? I’m an inter/advanced adult dancer. Thanks  

ps there is an Emma Northmore class on a bit later on but I don’t think I can manage that! I’ll have to try one day 

I've never done Ms Du Boisson's class, but I think some other Forum members do do her class regularly. But I have done 'General' level classes at Pineapple and elsewhere with a range of abilities from ex-professional or pre-pro training, to just-above-Beginners. I think the main things are to know your limits, so you can dance safely, and know when to get out of way if a combination in the centre is beyond you (that's me in every petit allegro that gets more complicated than a few glissades & assemblès)! 

The thing that really irritates me in open ballet classes in which there are pretty basic beginners is when they take up space in ways that are generally out of order in any ballet class, & don't get out of the way when they can't do an exercise. I've been crashed into by beginners being where they shouldn't be (why is it so often men with this lack of spatial awareness?) Dancers just stopping the middle of the studio or doing something so different from anything set by the teacher <sigh> I wish teachers of adult beginners would explain class etiquette - the dancer moving across the floor ALWAYS has priority.

Anyway, (rant over) if you've done some ballet before & are just getting back into it, I'm sure you'll be fine. Ms Du Boisson is spoken of very highly as a teacher in here & elsewhere.

• Like 4

Kind of with you there Faraway at the moment as my fitness way down….
The little swans….I did do a few of Anna’s classes online & as an Inter/Adv level adult I found it excellent. A friend of similar level (though 20 years younger than me!) has attended in studio & also coped & enjoyed it…. As I think Kate said, we adults just need to work to our own limits to stay safe & to also respect the space others may need (but not be pushed out either as there are always those not so nice pushy diva dancers who try hog the space & teacher attention….!!) 

Enjoy!!! 

Edited by Peanut68

• 4 months later...

Just add thing to this thread.. I was thinking about trying Anna's General class. I'm probably wanting a bit more of a challenge than beginner class which I still go to but don't think I am intermediate. Noting that I may need to step out of centre if too much or I am getting in the way of other dancers.

Edited by Alexander
  • Like 1

The main thing I dislike about open general classes at both Pineapple and Danceworks is that people don’t stick to their groups….even if the teacher is sufficiently aware to organise the groups in the first place! It’s just no good if there are 30 people in a class just saying right get yourselves into 3/4 groups …it won’t happen! 
But as I say even if a teacher does count out the groups and says clearly you are Group one ..you group two .. you group three etc etc. some dancers try to go in every group and will even run in at the last minute just as a group has placed itself ready to start and force you to move out of their way as the music starts!!!! Grrrr!!! 
It’s one of the reasons I won’t do open classes with no or little control over numbers of participants. 
At least at places like City Lit the class is full at 16! Though of course you can’t just drop in. 
I’ve got very wary since my injury in 2019 and can’t bear to be in possibly chaotic scenarios where somebody might career into you for one reason or another. 
Anna du Boisson should be fine for those who’ve been dancing at least a year or so ( not beginners) up to Intermediate level. I’ve never taken her class but have watched occasionally in the past. 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 3

Thanks. Ballet centre free-for-all is rather daunting. Though having gone to a a historical dance class where we circulated and clashed more than the chariot racing in the Circus Maximus I sorta understand things can get a bit gladitorial if not managed.. I think knowing ones limits and being aware not to be dufus or selfish is probably key.

Needs a firm teacher to set the boundaries and maintain herd discipline.

Edited by Alexander
  • Like 3