Elmhurst Summer School 2022

Cherry_Ballerina

4 hours ago, Ballerina_girl said:

I was wondering the same, we had found out by 3rd June last year, but bank holiday may have delayed it 

I’m just trying to plan summer around ballet intensives and other child related activities! 

Hopefully we’ll know one way or the other soon. 

Do you know if the yeses and no’s come out at the same time/day?

7 hours ago, Clementine said:

I’m just trying to plan summer around ballet intensives and other child related activities! 

Hopefully we’ll know one way or the other soon. 

Do you know if the yeses and no’s come out at the same time/day?

I don’t, I only heard about yeses last time. But yes hopefully soon! 

• Like 1

Elmhurst are deffently making us wait this year 🙄 they was deffently out so much quicker last year. I can't think of any other place that takes as long as they do to close applications, sort them and send out results. 🤞 for next week now🩰

4 minutes ago, Returnofthejedi said:

No but thanks for letting me know. I've got one yes for junior but a waitlist for seniors 😩

We got waitlist for seniors🙁 Bit annoyed as as she attended previous years but still fingers crossed

1 hour ago, Ballet Power said:

Seniors is a much bigger age category, so maybe more apply. Hope you get places if you are on the waitlist

They gave out a lot of scholarships at international competitions which most likely meant places were more limited than usual

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ba11erina said:

They gave out a lot of scholarships at international competitions which most likely meant places were more limited than usual

Is that for both Junior and Senior? Wonder how many applicants they get 🤔for SS

25 minutes ago, ba11erina said:

Robert Parker attended the YAGP finals in Tampa this year and gave out summer intensive scholarships. That’s the most I’ve ever seen awarded. Pre competitive, juniors and seniors. 9EFD5DBD-60EE-42E0-B664-ABB1C565F980.jpeg.42129ad685629ccdcbcb7d23bb67e698.jpeg5518891A-50AA-4BF8-AD3E-504D06D76795.jpeg.46646b130e811b4a5e85d027c02369ec.jpeg

The scholarships and contracts awarded all over the world can be found on you tube 😊

Edited by cotes du rhone !

20 hours ago, cotes du rhone ! said:

Robert Parker attended the YAGP finals in Tampa this year and gave out summer intensive scholarships. That’s the most I’ve ever seen awarded. Pre competitive, juniors and seniors. 9EFD5DBD-60EE-42E0-B664-ABB1C565F980.jpeg.42129ad685629ccdcbcb7d23bb67e698.jpeg5518891A-50AA-4BF8-AD3E-504D06D76795.jpeg.46646b130e811b4a5e85d027c02369ec.jpeg

The scholarships and contracts awarded all over the world can be found on you tube 😊

Hmmmm......

Again, a school attached to a UK company  both in receipt of much UK Taxpayer money & philanthropic support   much I'm sure anticipated to support UK dance talent (& much of it from companies & individuals benefiting from UK Tax breaks & so again, money not coming into the coffers for 'country' use) 

I think there needs to be auditing of what is going on....are we as a nation getting value for money? or even fair use? or is there possibly wide misuse?

IMHO, many AD's of institutions are getting a little carried away with overseas representation/judging/teaching ...nice money earners on top of their already good salaries if they are there in a personal capacity? Or are they there as 'part of their day job'? In which case, are they actually doing the expected day job adequately? Much has been said on here before of an AD regularly missing the first & even final round auditions for entry for one such school whilst happily dishing out places at overseas competitions.....

It's not a reflection of the global nature of the ballet world; that will naturally occur in job selection (& quite rightly should also reflect all countries work visa requirements). It further enforces the financial divide & pushes ballet back into that unnecessary 'elitest' & 'out of reach' & certainly 'out of touch' niche.

STOP!!! Where is the auditing?? I have asked before   anyone on here have a clue as to how government actually ensure fair use of our money? Not just in terms of funding students but also the arts council/culture funding/ the charitable status  & tax breaks etc etc.....all very murky to my layman eyes.....

• Like 8

I agree Peanut. USA has so many opportunities for dance training with schools attached to companies. The standard of training also seems to be higher even when not attending residential schools although very expensive. I don’t understand why Elmhurst is doing this other than to raise their profile. Obviously RBS is a huge draw in USA, South America, Asia and Australia, maybe not so much Europe though. I guess our best option these days is possibly  abroad too, given the lack of interest in home grown talent. 

I have a student who is just 14, who has been accepted for Senior Summer School.  She apparently saw a film of someone at YAGP who had been awarded a scholarship and is now absolutely terrified!  Is the standard really that high or do they accept normal standards too ???  She's around Intermediate level, although she hasn't taken the exam yet and her pointe work is probably up to Adv.F level.  

20 minutes ago, Dance*is*life said:

I have a student who is just 14, who has been accepted for Senior Summer School.  She apparently saw a film of someone at YAGP who had been awarded a scholarship and is now absolutely terrified!  Is the standard really that high or do they accept normal standards too ???  She's around Intermediate level, although she hasn't taken the exam yet and her pointe work is probably up to Adv.F level.  

I would tell her not to worry. My Dd attended YAGP finals in 2018 and her and Ds did Elmhurst summer intensive lots of times. In our experience a lot of children accept these awards / scholarships at the presentation evening and don’t actually attend. Elmhurst isn’t that well known internationally. Unless they are considering the school full time of course then that would warrant the vast expense of travel and accommodation which isn’t included. 
I don’t recall a lot of international students at the Elmhurst one but that was some time ago.  Also, my Dd found the international students at YAGP, especially the US ones, very strong at variations and performance but not so strong within the class. So don’t feel intimidated 😊 there’s a reason that they seek British training 🤣 

My Ds was 14 when he first attended Elmhurst SS. He had only been dancing 18 months, knew no one and was very nervous. At the end of the weeks sharing of work he looked very inexperienced compared to the other boys. But he had a fantastic time and learned so much as well as making friends that he is still in contact with today. 
I would say that Elmhurst is a lot less intimidating and less favourable towards certain students than others we have experienced. 

• Like 1

Fantastic! Thank you so much for the encouraging review!  Unfortunately because the course is so late I won't be able to visit or watch at all, as we start teaching on Sep.1st.  It's  a pity because I'm very curious to see how she compares to the others!   I find it also encourages them to cope better, when I can watch and reassure them!

If anyone has a 14 year old accepted for seniors this summer, perhaps she would like to correspond with my student - WhatsApp or email?  It would be so nice for her to even sort of know someone there!   She's a lovely girl and her English is quite good. If anyone's interested, please send me a PM.

• Like 1