Kerfuffle

Do you know if there are  Gaynor Mindens that don’t have a very tapered box? I just asked my DD again about the shape of the Grishkos she had briefly and she said that not only was the shank wrong but she found they tapered too much. 

17 minutes ago, Jane said:

Apart from Gaynor Minden I don’t think I remember an pre arched shoe - I might be wrong. I thought the shaping to foot came from wearing them in.

We don’t live in London but used to make a day trip to get pointe shoes even when we found a shoe that seemed to work because their feet and strength change so much and adaptations to fit are needed. 

There are pre arched shanks in Grishko called pro flex but now talking to my DD she has mentioned the tapering being too extreme for her. I think because she has wide metatarsals it feels too narrow when balancing. 

20 minutes ago, Kerfuffle said:

Do you know if there are  Gaynor Mindens that don’t have a very tapered box? I just asked my DD again about the shape of the Grishkos she had briefly and she said that not only was the shank wrong but she found they tapered too much. 

If you go on the Gaynor Minden website it explains all the different combinations. They do a wide fit and a square box which may help

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kerfuffle said:

There are I think about 5 different box shapes in Gaynor Minden. I could not recommend them highly enough. There are lots of myths around but when fitted properly they are an excellent shoe.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kanangra said:

There are I think about 5 different box shapes in Gaynor Minden. I could not recommend them highly enough. There are lots of myths around but when fitted properly they are an excellent shoe.

Her ballet teacher is fine with her trying them. Perhaps the controversy lies more with beginners having them but they seem to be a solution to the problem of high arches. 

21 hours ago, Kerfuffle said:

Her ballet teacher is fine with her trying them. Perhaps the controversy lies more with beginners having them but they seem to be a solution to the problem of high arches. 

My vocational DD has highly arched banana feet and can kill most pointe shoes within an hour's lesson!  She has been wearing Grishko 3007 which she can usually get 3-4 weeks out of, as well as Freeds and Blochs.  As the Grishkos are incredibly difficult to get hold, initially since Brexit, we have been on the hunt for a suitable alternative.  She had worn GMs a few years ago but stopped, partly due to peer pressure, but is now trying them again.  She is finding going back to them a little strange after the other shoes she's used in the interim but uses a wider box (4 I think) and is hoping, as is my purse, to get at least a month from her.  Her usual fitter reckons she should get nearer to 3 months as the current GMs sold here are now made in Europe and are apparently made from harder, long-lasting materials compared to the US-made ones of 2-3 years ago.  We'll see!!

Good luck with your search but I'd definitely suggest your DD looks at GM as the pre-arched shank might help her in terms of not breaking the shanks immediately when wearing them.

• Like 2

Dd has been using GM’s for years, high arch, narrow heel, very very strong feet, really really awkward to get shoes for! Last visit to Dancique we bought Merlet! Only spoke to dd 2 nights ago about them as preparing them for shows next week. absolutely loves them! Another alternative to GM’s found! 🥰🩰🥰

• Like 3

@dancefanatic thank you got your advice. It’s a shame that there is so much prejudice against GMs. I’m looking forward to seeing how the fitting works out - we have found reasonably somewhere local. Also would be hugely relieved to find a shoe that lasts longer. The teacher thinks her old shoes were pulling her backwards because the bend was too low. She has also been experiencing plantar fasciitis in one foot but I have read that GM can reduce the strain on that part of the foot. They look really pretty too! 

@Dancing unicorn sounds like Merlet are very nice too and a good alternative. 

Do upper schools disapprove of Gaynor Mindens? 

This is from research I have done Gaynor Mindens are made with a plastic shank that doesn’t break down over time with use. They are disapproved of mostly because they use different technology and they are more padded for comfort. I don’t know if there are actually any very good technical reasons from what I’ve read. 

• Thanks 1

Haha well! Dd has only ever worn GM’s at upper school! First time wore in front of teacher she was determined to go thru foot like a normal shoe! Think she convinced the teacher as never said anything since, she just doesn’t wear brand new shoes in front of her as once the teacher got hold of the shoe and started bending them 🤣🤣🤣 dd was not impressed! 

• Like 1

DD found that she could roll through her feet even in the green bag, hardest shanked GMs - just because it is possible to allow them to help ‘pop’ you up en pointe doesn’t mean that is what will always happen. As far as we could gather a lot of the prejudice against GMs was because they are new technology rather than the traditional shoes and can be used to ‘help’ dancers who perhaps don’t have the strength or the experience of others. DD also found it more challenging to balance on flat because of the slight curve to the shank, so would very much dispute that they are ‘cheat’ shoes in any way. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 21/03/2022 at 19:44, valentina said:

I'm not sure where you're based, but a fitting with Leanne from Straight to the Pointe helped my daughter enormously. My daughter was getting through a pair of pointe shoes a day in yr 11 and after a 2.5 hour fitting with Leanne and an eight week wait for special order Grishkos, this problem was solved.

She has very high arches and insteps plus doing many full ballet classes en pointe. Her Freeds ( which she loves) were dead every day.

Leanne is based near Southend but travels about. Anyone who knows Leanne will tell you that she is an expert, extremely knowledgeable and takes great care. Sadly though, the factory she was ordering from was closing and there was no special orders being taken. I'm hoping that may have changed but it didn't look promising.

Thanks for your words.

"The factory she was ordering from was closing" - I just wanted to know what you meant by that as I did not say this? There was a delay due to COVID with custom orders but I certainly did not say the factory was closing :)