Ballet training in Germany and Holland

Lena

Dear dance community, I have a question about training abroad. In the UK, lower school training that requires boarding is SOOOO expensive, even taking into consideration government funding. In contrast, the Arts are more heavily subsidised in some other countries, meaning that if one gets accepted at audition the actual training is much much much cheaper... we are thinking of auditioning e.g. at the State Ballet School in Germany, and wondering whether anyone has experiences with trying to train abroad? Thank you!  

If you're a UK citizen and resident here, remember that as we're no longer in the European Union, full fees at the overseas student rate would probably apply, for both the ballet training and normal school, plus health care costs, accommodation etc. I wonder if it would actually be cheaper than UK options in the long run?

I know that at university level, students going to mainland Europe under what used to be the Erasmus exchange scheme (which was reciprocal so costs evened out for each exchange partner) are now financed by the UK government, otherwise they'd be paying overseas student fees.

• Like 3

Thank you Kate_N... all important considerations! The schools I looked at list a flat fee and do not seem to make the the 'home' vs. 'overseas' distinction that we are used to in the UK, but I will dig deeper... and yes there are other costs as you point out... if I do discover this as a viable route then happy to share! My daughter speaks some German which obviously would help, much more daunting for a dancer who gets dumped in a totally unknown language environment... 

Would you be living/moving abroad too, Lena? I’m just thinking that it’s hard enough to have a child in full-time ballet training in your own country of residence (in cases of illness/injury/homesickness), without having to get on a plane to get to your child.  

I only know of a couple of people whose children trained abroad and that was at 16+.  

• Like 1

For Dutch National Ballet’s AD program, you qualify for lower tuition “if you have the nationality of a country in the EU.” I would assume it’s the same for their younger students. They do not have boarding, though, so I believe it’s mostly Dutch students until the age of 16 or so.

3 hours ago, NotadanceMa said:

@Kate_Ncould you tell me I’m sorry for asking what will probably seem a stupid question.

Can my child on their Irish passport (as I am entitled to one as I was born there and have Irish parents) meet the requirements for funding support at European ballet schools? We live in the U.K. 

I was just about to post a comment about the Irish passports. Yes in answer to your question. They can access schooling and employment just like others within the EU. A friend recently graduated and was awarded a contract in Europe. Her golden ticket to enable her secure the contract above her obvious skills was that she carries an Irish passport. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Anna C said:

Would you be living/moving abroad too, Lena? I’m just thinking that it’s hard enough to have a child in full-time ballet training in your own country of residence (in cases of illness/injury/homesickness), without having to get on a plane to get to your child. 

Especially if said child gets a bad injury.  At least one of our (former?) posters could tell you about that.

• Like 1

No first hand experience but have done a bit of looking around. I found that even if we were to pay international student fees, European schools tend to be cheaper than UK ones (even with MDS). This would probably vary depending on the school but this is what I found overall, including schools in Germany and the Netherlands. We also looked at schools in Switzerland and I believe the two we looked at would also be cheaper than schools here.  Amazing communications from schools too I find, quick responses and extremely organised.  I accidentally sent an application to one school without realising my DD would be a few months too young for their intake and was contacted right away and told that the AD would like to see her next year when she’s of the right age because there will be no housing available for her age. With another school I received right away a pack from the academic school they have a tie up with requesting all sorts of information. I was very impressed with how organised and professional everything was, so easy to contact and responses super prompt and personal.

Edited by Neverdancedjustamum
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, alison said:

Lena, I've added some tags to your post.  Try clicking on "Germany" and "The Netherlands" and see if they come up with anything useful, because I know this question has been asked before in some form.

Thank you! 

21 hours ago, Anna C said:

I only know of a couple of people whose children trained abroad and that was at 16+.  

No, would just be her not the rest of the family... not thinking about an immediate move, but maybe when she's 15/16ish... in theory it's just a short plane trip away, although of course that is assuming that the pandemic will leave us at some point, which at the moment feels like it might never happen... 

• Like 1

Lena,

My DD is in Dutch National Ballet Academy, she is 16 and this is her 1st year there, away from home.

We are not EU citizens and yes school fee is more expensive than for EU citizens. But actually, cost of living is the difficulty since there is no dorm offered. But actually, we know other girls in different cities around Europe and mostly costs are quite similar. 

Happy to answer if u have further questions.

• Like 3