Recommendations - North Kent

LargelyConfused

Hi, 

my daughter is 7, in year 3 at school, and has just been in her first festivals, doing a solo ballet. She has always said she loves dancing but the experience of being on stage has really ramped it all up. However, having seen the standard of the others in her age group, and with a couple of other concerns about her current dance school, I’m a bit worried she isn’t getting the best training. 

I don’t know what I’m looking for in judging a dance school, and I’m struggling to find any alternatives near us, so I was hoping for some recommendations if possible. We live near Gravesend in North Kent. 

Thank you so much 

May I suggest you telephone The Royal Academy of Dance and ask for a list of fully trained teachers I presume Imperial, Chechetti BBO head officers have the same lists. Some teachers wont do festivals. You know your child, some schools concentrate more on syllabus and on exams, some are more business like and like competitions to advertise their school. 

• Like 2

If she’s serious, absolutely look at Nicola Tarry Classical Ballet (previously known Nicola Moriarty or Woodside). 
She is a phenomenal teacher - she is extremely passionate yet still makes it fun. 
They haven’t competed much in the past but seem to be attending more festivals and doing very well.

11 hours ago, alison said:

I hope you have your own transport if you're thinking of Beckenham or Orpington: public transport from Gravesend would be pretty horrendous, especially to Beckenham, which is down the bottom of a railway "cul-de-sac".

😂 I was thinking of the schools who enter Beckenham/Orpington/Tun Wells. Don't think you can travel around easily anywhere without transport in Kent and Medway. Buses and trains are horrendous!