Summer intensive (White Lodge) - clothing question

PetitJeté

My 11yo daughter will be attending the White Lodge summer intensive this year. We have yet to receive a list of items to take, although obviously we can work out the basics. But in the interests of her feeling like she fits in with everyone, I’d be interested to know what sorts of things other children of her age favour, in terms of leotards, skirts/no skirts, shoes etc. Also in particular I’d like to know what sort of warm up gear they wear, as there are so many options! She already has Bloch booties, and I suppose it ought to be quite warm anyway, but would be great to know what’s popular at the moment! We’ve ordered a RB t shirt, so she’ll have that too. 

Many thanks!

• Like 2

Besides the inevitable ‘kit list’ from RBS. Besides that just celebrate your DD’s achievement in being awarded a place at White Lodge. Awesome achievement.
That alone shows that she already ‘fits in’. 

Anything else could be deemed superfluous. 

Congratulations and best wishes to your DD. ☺️

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, balletbean said:

Besides the inevitable ‘kit list’ from RBS. Besides that just celebrate your DD’s achievement in being awarded a place at White Lodge. Awesome achievement.
That alone shows that she already ‘fits in’. 

Anything else could be deemed superfluous. 

Congratulations and best wishes to your DD. ☺️

You are right of course, and I’m hugely proud of her! ☺️ It’s just for quite a while she’s only done private lessons, and she’s never done an intensive, so we’re a little out of touch! 

• Like 1

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Summer intensive (White Lodge) - clothing question
1 hour ago, WhatsThePointe said:

The school have posted a few photos recently from the Spring Intensive, you could have a look and see what people have on in those? I guess more likely to show dancewear than warmup though.

Good idea, I did see some with skirts, which was something I wondered about (as in ballet skirts over leotards). 

Hi, I’m older than your daughter so this might not be too helpful! I’m sure at that age that some girls might wear skirts and some won’t. Places like Ballet Skirts by Lucinda, Freda Silk and Seraphina Steps all sell beautiful skirts (I know they are all on Instagram too, so you can see designs). Also shops like Just Ballet and Devoted to Dance (both are also on Instagram and very helpful) sell a variety of brands that you could look at for leotards, skirts and warmups. For warmups, I’m not sure what girls would be wearing as it is summer, but Grishko has some nice thin sweater type things (devoted to dance has a lot). I do know that warm-up boots are very popular, but you have those anyways. To be honest, like Balletbean said, your daughter has done so well to be selected and I think at her age all of the dancers in her class will have a large variety of different warmups and leotards so I’m sure what ever she likes and feels comfortable in will be fine :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BalletBear said:

Hi, I’m older than your daughter so this might not be too helpful! I’m sure at that age that some girls might wear skirts and some won’t. Places like Ballet Skirts by Lucinda, Freda Silk and Seraphina Steps all sell beautiful skirts (I know they are all on Instagram too, so you can see designs). Also shops like Just Ballet and Devoted to Dance (both are also on Instagram and very helpful) sell a variety of brands that you could look at for leotards, skirts and warmups. For warmups, I’m not sure what girls would be wearing as it is summer, but Grishko has some nice thin sweater type things (devoted to dance has a lot). I do know that warm-up boots are very popular, but you have those anyways. To be honest, like Balletbean said, your daughter has done so well to be selected and I think at her age all of the dancers in her class will have a large variety of different warmups and leotards so I’m sure what ever she likes and feels comfortable in will be fine :) 

Thank you @BalletBear that’s so kind of you to respond! ☺️ I’ll check out those recommendations, thank you very much indeed! 

• Like 1

DD just wore non-dance brand t-shirts, joggers, leggings and hoodies and has never felt out of place.  Take her warm-up boots and she will have the t-shirt.  A new leotard and skirt is nice for a well done on getting in present but I wouldn’t go all out with new kit.  Hope she has a lovely time.

• Like 1

A zip up or wide neck jumper is good to quickly pop on to help keep them warm between class and doesn’t risk knocking their bun. Some wore dance school or associate ones but equally dance / none dance clothing was worn. Otherwise leggings, joggers or soft shorts of a dance or non-dance brand are absolutely fine. An all in one warm up is also good but absolutely not necessary and most kids just wear  very comfortable clothing. She definitely won’t feel left out xxx 

I’d take a couple of skirts and belts to compliment leotards if you have them but as long as she wears something that you know fits well and importantly she’s comfortable in she’ll feel at her best and most at ease xxx 

Hope she has a wonderful time. 

• Like 1

On 27/06/2021 at 23:20, Balletmum55 said:

A zip up or wide neck jumper is good to quickly pop on to help keep them warm between class and doesn’t risk knocking their bun. Some wore dance school or associate ones but equally dance / none dance clothing was worn. Otherwise leggings, joggers or soft shorts of a dance or non-dance brand are absolutely fine. An all in one warm up is also good but absolutely not necessary and most kids just wear  very comfortable clothing. She definitely won’t feel left out xxx 

I’d take a couple of skirts and belts to compliment leotards if you have them but as long as she wears something that you know fits well and importantly she’s comfortable in she’ll feel at her best and most at ease xxx 

Hope she has a wonderful time. 

Thank you, this is really helpful!

• Like 1

On 28/06/2021 at 19:00, Knh said:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/royalballetschool/albums/with/72157711045940538

RBS didn’t post pictures from the spring intensive this year here, but you can see many pictures from the past intensives on this Flickr account. 

This is brilliant, thank you so much! We’ve had the list through from RB, and they specify to bring waist elastics, but I can see lots of girls aren’t wearing them, which is good, as my daughter’s leotards don’t all have them. Will pack a few regardless, just in case! The soft shorts seem like a good call @Balletmum55 so might get her some of those.