The Australian Ballet to live stream four productions starting June 11

2021 Live on Ballet TV Melbourne season

New York Dialects (Balanchine: Serenade; Four Temperaments.  Tanowitz: Watermark)
Available to watch in real time at 7.15pm AEST Friday 11 June, or at your convenience until 5.30pm AEST Sunday 13 June

Anna Karenina (Yuri Possokhov)
Available to watch in real time at 7.15pm AEST Thursday 24 June, or at your convenience until 5.30pm AEST Saturday 26 June

Romeo and Juliet (Cranko)
Available to watch in real time at 7.15pm AEST Thursday 2 September, or at your convenience until 5.30pm AEST Saturday 4 September

Harlequinade (Ratmansky reconstruction)
Available to watch in real time at 7.15pm AEST Thursday 16 September, or at your convenience until 5.30pm AEST 18 September

Priced at $25 each or $80 for the season package

https://australianballet.com.au/the-ballets/live-on-ballet-tv

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

New York Dialects (Balanchine: Serenade; Four Temperaments.  Tanowitz: Watermark)
Available to watch in real time at 7.15pm AEST Friday 11 June, or at your convenience until 5.30pm AEST Sunday 13 June

Available to watch in real time at 7.15pm AEST Thursday 24 June, or at your convenience until 5.30pm AEST Saturday 26 June

Available to watch in real time at 7.15pm AEST Thursday 2 September, or at your convenience until 5.30pm AEST Saturday 4 September

Available to watch in real time at 7.15pm AEST Thursday 16 September, or at your convenience until 5.30pm AEST 18 September

For those based in the UK:

7.15pm AEST = 10.15am BST

5.30pm AEST = 8.30am BST

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1

Thanks, Bluebird, very exciting, can't wait to see 2 of my favourite Balanchine ballets and Cranko's R&J, not seen that for years. But I can't work out how to book the season package, I can only see how to book individual performances, separately, any advice, anyone?

I do think it's disappointing we can only watch each show once, usually you can watch several times within the time slot.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, SheilaC said:

Thanks, Bluebird, very exciting, can't wait to see 2 of my favourite Balanchine ballets and Cranko's R&J, not seen that for years. But I can't work out how to book the season package, I can only see how to book individual performances, separately, any advice, anyone?

Here's a quote from the website:

" Purchase all four ballets and your 20% discount is automatically applied at checkout."

i.e. there isn't a button for the season package. You have to book the productions one at a time and the discount is applied once you've booked the fourth one. It's a very fiddly process as you have to keep going backwards and forwards.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bluebird said:

Given what I've heard about tickets for ballet in Australia, this sounds like quite a bargain!  Disappointing, though, that they're only available for less than 48 hours - not really very much "at your convenience" if you happen to be out Friday night over here (or is it Saturday?  I'm not sure)

One viewing in your 48 hour viewing period, on one device, so no starting on PC and switching to TV or tablet or phone. 

I contacted the company to express my frustration at this extremely restrictive model in February, but they have chosen to continue it. Dancers in the company are frustrated by it.

As Melbourne is now in a 7-day lockdown, not due to end until after the scheduled dress rehearsals and opening night, the season of New York Dialects is looking increasingly doubtful. The company has suspended ticket sales and has in fact unlinked the production from its front page. I have a ticket for Monday 7 June but am not holding my breath. WHY didn't I go to a Sydney performance?! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sophoife said:

One viewing in your 48 hour viewing period, on one device, so no starting on PC and switching to TV or tablet or phone. 

Yes very restrictive.  Presumably you can watch on a smart tv  if you can "cast" to it from that one device?

New York Dialects Livestream postponed

The following has been sent to subscribers:

"Unfortunately, due to the impact of a seven-day lockdown in Victoria (as a result of a COVID-19 outbreak), we have had to reschedule our upcoming season of New York Dialects including our livestream. The good news is you won't miss out on seeing this incredible program, which critics in Sydney have hailed as "close to perfection".

You can now watch the New York Dialects livestream in real time at 7.15pm AEST Thursday 14 October, or at your convenience until 5.30pm AEST Saturday 16 October."

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Sadly, another Australian Ballet production in this series has had to be postponed: 

"Unfortunately, due to the impact of the COVIDSafe restrictions in Victoria, our season of Anna Karenina at Arts Centre Melbourne has been postponed. This includes the performance that was to be live-streamed. 

We are devastated that this epic production, which our artists have been preparing for over two years, is unable to make its Australian premiere .....

Rest assured, we will be rescheduling the live-streamed performance to later in the year...."

Very sad. Luckily I was able to get a refund on both the tickets I'd bought and on my prepaid accommodation.

"Indoor seated entertainment venues" in Melbourne are severely number-limited, 50% of capacity or 75 people, whichever is less, and the State Theatre seats around 2,000 when full. Completely uneconomic for the company.

On 17/06/2021 at 11:09, Sophoife said:

Very sad. Luckily I was able to get a refund on both the tickets I'd bought and on my prepaid accommodation.

"Indoor seated entertainment venues" in Melbourne are severely number-limited, 50% of capacity or 75 people, whichever is less, and the State Theatre seats around 2,000 when full. Completely uneconomic for the company.

even worse economically here in UK  ... 30-40% capacity only.

• 3 weeks later...

Subscribers have now received an update from the Australian Ballet:

"New York Dialects | Cancelled

Unfortunately, due to rescheduling conflicts, our season of New York Dialects has had to be cancelled. We are sorely disappointed and know you will be too.

Anna Karenina | Rescheduled

You can now watch the Anna Karenina live stream from 7.15pm AEDT Friday 22 October, or at your convenience until 5.30pm AEDT Sunday 24 October."

• 1 month later...

All Australian Ballet live streams have now been postponed and won’t take place until 2022.

Due to the continuing uncertainty caused by the spread of COVID-19 and the necessity for ongoing lockdowns and theatre restrictions, The Australian Ballet has made the difficult decision to postpone our upcoming Melbourne seasons of Romeo and Juliet, Harlequinade, DanceX and Anna Karenina, along with all related Step Inside events and live streams, to 2022.”

Oh @alison if only! More than half the country (basically everywhere except Tasmania and Western Australia) is currently under Stay At Home lockdown orders, with fines of up to $5,500 (nearly £3,000) for breaches of public health orders (PHOs) such as fail to wear mask, fail to check in to business, provide false information to enforcement officer (cops or army), etc etc. Where I live hasn't had a case in 373 days but we're under the same restrictions as the rest of NSW outside Sydney. I can't see AusBallet's scheduled Sydney seasons in November/December going ahead either, as Sydney is currently the worst-affected in the country (mainly because state government acted too little too slow).

Also, vaccine rollout has been a complete embarrassment. Currently of people aged over 16, just 38.8% have received one dose, and only 21% of us have been fully vaccinated. It's widely reported elsewhere so I won't get on my soapbox 🤭

Don’t productions in Sydney normally follow their presentations (premieres or revivals) in Melbourne? So if, say, Ratmansky’s Harlequinade premiere in Melbourne is cancelled, could it be presented in Sydney a month later? That doesn’t even take into account the heavy use of children in that production.

speaking of-

I believe that Ratmansky tweeted that the company decided to finish setting Harlequinade  in the studios, so it will be ready to roll when a new season begins. It’s a great ballet and will be well worth the wait once you see it...with the original Imperial Russian sets & costumes recreated...much more luxurious than the ABT-Ratmansky Sleeping Beauty!

Not always, @Jeannette. Often there is a Melbourne-only season of something and a Sydney-only season of something.

Children in AusBallet productions are never taken from Melbourne to Sydney or vice versa, they are always local to the performance region. They are rehearsed locally with fly-in company staff, then fit into company rehearsals when the company arrives (all places outside Melbourne). The Melbourne children are drawn from AusBallet School unless a real tiny tot is required (e.g. Madame Butterfly, Sorrow being Butterfly and Pinkerton's small boy).

Just this year, the Melbourne Anna Karenina season was cancelled but the Adelaide one went ahead, as South Australia has/had different levels of restriction. The company have made no announcements yet about Nov/Dec Sydney which includes Harlequinade but from where we're standing it looks unlikely.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

New dates have been announced for the postponed live streams:

Anna Karenina | 8 March 2022
Watch in real time at 7.15pm AEDT Tuesday 8 March 2022, or enjoy within 48 hours.

Harlequinade | 24 June 2022
Watch in real time at 7.15pm AEST Friday 24 June 2022, or enjoy within 48 hours.

Romeo and Juliet | 18 October 2022
Watch in real time at 7.15pm AEDT Tuesday 18 October 2022, or enjoy within 48 hours.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Australian Ballet will be live streaming their Romeo and Juliet on 18 October 2022 at 7.15pm AEST. $25 (~£14.63 at today's exchange rate - won't even attempt the date/time conversion).

Live on Ballet TV | The Australian Ballet

Each livestream can be accessed on any device for up to 48 hours from the livestream start time without needing to download software or applications

Edited by oncnp

11 hours ago, oncnp said:

Australian Ballet will be live streaming their Romeo and Juliet on 18 October 2022 at 7.15pm AEST. $25 (~£14.63 at today's exchange rate - won't even attempt the date/time conversion).

There shouldn't be any need: it's in the Calendar, so the times in there should convert automatically to wherever the reader is.  I hope.

3 minutes ago, alison said:

There shouldn't be any need: it's in the Calendar, so the times in there should convert automatically to wherever the reader is.  I hope.

And noticed (after I put it on the calendar) that you had already posted it.

Please remove mine.