Ballet Instructors for Disabled People - UK (London)

chesl

Hi everyone! This is my first post on the forum - I'm a 20 year old in London with minimal previous experience in ballet (would probably need to start from absolute beginner's classes again) and I was hoping to get back into it, but I've been discouraged from learning ballet due to my disability, which leaves me with poor balance, a lack of leg control and muscle strength, and I can't point my toes on one foot properly. 

From the stuff I've read online, I feel like if I work hard enough I can overcome these limitations, I just need a bit more time - but my previous teacher wasn't really patient with my lack of progress in classes and so ended up ignoring me entirely (which makes sense, seeing as I was weighing down the rest of the class). Preferably I'd like a teacher who has experience working with disabled students, or someone who would be open to doing 1 on 1 lessons? The places I've looked so far only have group classes (including the disabled dance troupes/projects etc), so I thought I'd ask here in case anyone could point me in the right direction of where to look next. 

Thanks! 😊

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Ballet Instructors for Disabled People - UK (London)

I will have think of teachers I know in your area, pity you aren’t closer to the Midlands, I have a bit of experience with disabled dancers, including amputees. Dance is for everyone, it just requires some creativity and courage! 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Bluebird22 said:

I will have think of teachers I know in your area, pity you aren’t closer to the Midlands, I have a bit of experience with disabled dancers, including amputees. Dance is for everyone, it just requires some creativity and courage! 

Thank you so much! Ah, it's a shame I'm not in the Midlands at all, your work sounds really interesting 😃

Not sure if this will be of any help but it may be worth a look. https://www.onedanceuk.org/

This is an excerpt taken from their website and one of the areas they advocate on:-

Diversity – fostering equality of opportunity for dance artists and leaders, creating resources, programmes and frameworks for helping people participate in dance, regardless of their age, disability, race or economic background

Best of luck chesl, I hope you find a teacher. 

• Like 1