Summer schools/ intensives

BattementBatty

Good morning dance oracles in my phone. 

I’m looking for suggestions/ recommendations/ information on summer residentials for my daughter who is currently 12.  Possibly for this year, she’s on the RBS waiting list (but appreciate most will have passed on places from last year or we will have missed deadlines) so primarily for me to look into in preparation for applying in time for next summer. 

Just for background she is a current MA with the Royal Ballet School but I’m completely clueless about what else is out there as I didn’t actually realise she was particularly good until she got a year 6 JA place and her teacher encouraged her to apply for WL. She got to finals and got the MA place but seemed to be one of the few who hadn’t done the rounds of all the full time schools!  

Thanks in advance

• Like 2

I would definitely try the following:

Malvern ballet Seminars

KS Dance - Warrington

Hammond - Chester 

Bristol Russian - loved this one, different as did Russian Character as well as ballet and pas de deux (can’t remember if they did contemporary! 

And if looking at next year (COVID and money allowing 🥺) Dar Danse in Morocco - our absolute favourite 💗

Hope that helps 💗

• Like 1

YBS is an outstanding summer school - fantastic faculty, serious training but huge amounts of fun too. The possibility of scholarships and generous bursaries also added to its appeal for us. My DC attended every summer since year 9 except one year when injured. They count their time at YBS as amongst the happiest and most positive experiences of their training years. 
The masterclasses in Prague are also exceptional but obviously for older students. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BillyElliot1 said:

Hi @BattementBatty,

I was just about to ask the same question! Sorry I don’t have the answers, but following with interest... 

Thank you @danceparentfor the ideas and please can you tell me what YBS stands for? Many thanks! 

Yorkshire Ballet Seminars. They’re not taking applications this year because everyone has had their places rolled over from last summer, but in ‘normal’ years it’s one to definitely consider. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dancing unicorn said:

I would definitely try the following:

Malvern ballet Seminars

KS Dance - Warrington

Hammond - Chester 

Bristol Russian - loved this one, different as did Russian Character as well as ballet and pas de deux (can’t remember if they did contemporary! 

And if looking at next year (COVID and money allowing 🥺) Dar Danse in Morocco - our absolute favourite 💗

Hope that helps 💗

Just had a look at Dar Danse and it looks.amazing!! Can family stay there too as would be going as a family holiday? Flights look reasonable too!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, sunrise81 said:

Just had a look at Dar Danse and it looks.amazing!! Can family stay there too as would be going as a family holiday? Flights look reasonable too!

Dd won a scholarship to go to Dar Danse at the end of year 9 and I went with her. It is a hotel / family estate. It was the most amazing inspirational ballet course she ever attended. Outdoor sea view studio. Wonderful teaching, no favouritism, every student valued and supported. As it should be ... 

Then we went back to school 😒
Had to edit this to add some memories of happy times ☺️
https://ibb.co/Q8kqs6k
https://ibb.co/P6R5Rrp
https://ibb.co/s5L5QTY
https://ibb.co/4jsPntV

Edited by cotes du rhone !
  • Like 8

7 hours ago, danceparent said:

YBS is an outstanding summer school - fantastic faculty, serious training but huge amounts of fun too. The possibility of scholarships and generous bursaries also added to its appeal for us. My DC attended every summer since year 9 except one year when injured. They count their time at YBS as amongst the happiest and most positive experiences of their training years. 
The masterclasses in Prague are also exceptional but obviously for older students. 

Seconding this - Yorkshire Ballet Seminars is brilliant.  Many dancers still have many wonderful memories and friendships years later that were formed during those summers.  

Prague is good too, but very expensive.  

• Like 2

Cotes you beat me to it 🤣

Dd also won scholarship to go too! 
We ended going twice, both times hubby and I went with dd and as cotes says we had the most amazing holiday ever! We all felt special! First year we had the gorgeous Kristen McNally (couldn’t believe it when we found out she was in room next to us! 🤣) and second time we had Ricardo Cervera! 
We got to watch all the classes and the display on last day! Small class, fab food, wonderful location, fab weather, amazing teaching! What more could you want!!

On both occasions we extended our holiday for an extra week in Essaouira. 
Highly recommend 💗

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Dancing unicorn said:

Cotes you beat me to it 🤣

Dd also won scholarship to go too! 
We ended going twice, both times hubby and I went with dd and as cotes says we had the most amazing holiday ever! We all felt special! First year we had the gorgeous Kristen McNally (couldn’t believe it when we found out she was in room next to us! 🤣) and second time we had Ricardo Cervera! 
We got to watch all the classes and the display on last day! Small class, fab food, wonderful location, fab weather, amazing teaching! What more could you want!!

On both occasions we extended our holiday for an extra week in Essaouira. 
Highly recommend 💗

This sounds perfect! This is something I think we could do as family next year 🩰💗

• Like 1