Advice on what to look for - 16+ training

Belvoir

•  

My DD has been accepted into a classical ballet school in the midlands UK. I think the school has only been operating for 10 years.  She is obviously delighted. With her only being 16 and not able to see the school due to lockdown - has anyone got any tips? I’m particularly thinking welfare. Thanks 

Thank you 😊

Happy to chat in private. 

With newer schools it is very hard to find objective references. And, with this being a big step for a 16 year old obviously welfare is a priority 

• Like 1

Absolutely; sending your just 16 year old away to be in the care of strangers is never easy, especially if they’re going away for the first time!  If I were looking at schools, knowing what I know now, I would look for long established schools, with a strong graduate employment record, fully qualified Teachers, a syllabus that takes into account skeletal maturity and includes appropriate fitness training, and one whose written policies are actually put into practice.  Oh, and preferably one that offers A Levels or a similar academic qualification.

That all sounds like a big ask but there are so few jobs for dancers nowadays, and that’s assuming a student makes it through 3 years of dance training unscathed physically and mentally, that a Plan B is *vital*.  

Also take into account that unless the end goal is a contract in a classical ballet company, if the right school doesn’t happen at 16, there is always scope for doing A Levels/a Foundation year and trying again at 17 or 18 for Ballet/Contemporary/General Dance training or Musical Theatre.  

• Like 8

Totally agree, thank you. The place is for a foundation year and BA hons in dance so I’m happy about the qualifications as I hope the degree would give options. 
Looking at alumni the quality of teaching looks good. Hard to know if policies are put into practice. Trying to get in contact with other parents / students to find out, but hard on forums! 

I would look hard at graduate destinations.

How many starters actually finish the course? There can be a tendency for students to leave, voluntarily or not, and these students of course don’t count in any stats regarding graduate destinations.

Find out how much help the school gives to help you find a job.

Schools may publish impressive-sounding lists of companies that students go to, often in decreasing order of prestige. But when were these contracts obtained? One male student ten years ago? 

Companies graduates go to - most who get jobs will at least start in small companies you may not have heard of. Look them up. Is a contract with X company actually only a two-week stint or a two-month touring production? What happens afterwards?

Look hard if students then go on to a junior company/second company/apprenticeship/further diploma etc. There are an increasing number of these now, often unpaid, or which you as a parent may have to fund, and which still may not get you closer to a job.

If you like the idea of obtaining a degree, check that a degree in dance will be acceptable for any other plan B career. Some employers will be happy to accept it, others maybe not.

Think hard about “just” classical ballet.  There are few jobs, now more than ever. It’s very tough for girls in particular. Would a wider range of dance styles make you more employable?

Have a plan B.

Have your child’s welfare first and foremost. Ballet, despite its many joys, can be physically and psychologically difficult - destructive even at times. Make it clear that they can walk away if they want to or need to.

If your 16-year-old has not lived away from home before, make sure they can cook and live on a budget.

• Like 11

There is a lot of discussion, both negative and positive from parents of students at various schools on here and other forums. I, myself have many positive and negative things to say about my childs school. 

But when a school effectively  censors such discussion by threatening legal action it makes me wonder what they have to hide. 

Edited by Jewel
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, Jewel said:

But when a school effectively  censors such discussion by threatening legal action it makes me wonder what they have to hide. 

I agree, especially as was illustrated last summer with one such school up in Scotland. 

• Like 5

It is also worth thinking about the finances and what happens if anything goes wrong.

If it doesn't work out for your DC (and this will happen at every school for someone I suspect ..) what is your financial commitment?  For how long?   How long will you have commitments to accommodation costs and training costs?

I would check the quality of the degree and how acceptable it is to other institutions.   Ring up the one most likely to be your plan B and ask them if they would accept the degree offered by your Plan A establishment.

How long have the staff been there?  Is there much turnover?  

At the end of the day, all you can do is inform yourself as much as possible and try not to be too emotive (easier said than done!)

• Like 5

• Anna C changed the title to Advice on what to look for - 16+ training