Associate Programs (ROI)

Drballet

Hi, I am looking for good options for Associate Programs in Dance with a strong Ballet Focus. I realise we may need to travel to mainland UK for this and at the moment I am just looking at recommendations for likely monthly training sessions.  I have 2 vocational dancer students (aged < 16) who would benefit from a broader dance education experience and in being in a larger group environment, possibly as a support in helping them with career choices for the future.

I have searched the forum and can see a number of programs out there but would welcome advice. What are the top three? Have we missed entry for the coming year? and are any doing on-line in the short term (although we would be absolutely willing to travel).

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

🙏

Hello Drballet,

By ROI do you mean Republic of Ireland?  (We use so many TLAs in Doing Dance that I get confused!)?

If so, I don't know if this thread will be any help?

Where on the mainland could you reasonably travel to?  This may assist responders to your query.

• Like 1

Ballet Boost have associates in Belfast 

Edited to add that asking the top three will depend on your dancers, what suits one child will not suit another regardless of perceived ranking. My Dd considers @Emma northmore one of the best teachers/mentors she had during her dancing journey.

Edited by Jane
  • Like 4

Thanks all

apologies - yes ROI is Republic of Ireland.

I already encourage my vocational students to travel to summer intensives - they get so much out of this.

I just wondered if there was some additional monthly training I could find for them to supplement their classes with me. I occasionally have guest tutors here and that works (as we are pretty rural) - so just doing some "out of the box pre-start-of -term thinking 🤪 

I'm also doing other CPD on Repertory and Other Aspects of teaching so may do more intensive days monthly for the students myself.

Thanks all - appreciated

We used to travel to RAD associates in Elmhurst (flying to Birmingham) from Dublin with our son until they stopped them, but that only worked because they were running adult workshops at the same time so whichever parent was with him could also dance. It sounds like madness, but if you got your flights right it was cheaper for us to travel there than some of the English based people who were travelling by train or car. (Of course, if it was the wrong weekend you might have to skip a week because the flight costs were insane.) They were doing associates in Belfast last year, but I think that's gone again.

• Like 2

[Oooh, I'm too naughty to be allowed edit posts. I feel like a supervillain.]

I assume you're aware of things like the INYB and the other youth companies that seem to offer a fair amount of extra work and training in at least Galway and Dublin? Not exactly associates, but an option for wider experience. I think there might be one in Cork as well? 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Colman said:

[Oooh, I'm too naughty to be allowed edit posts. I feel like a supervillain.]

Sorry to disappoint you, Colman, but it's due to the latest software update :)  The Edit function is now under the three dots at the top right of your post, for some reason which escapes me.  (Do you have anything else but Edit there, BTW?)

Just now, alison said:

Sorry to disappoint you, Colman, but it's due to the latest software update :)  The Edit function is now under the three dots at the top right of your post, for some reason which escapes me.  (Do you have anything else but Edit there, BTW?)

All I get in my lair is "Share". No "Edit".

In that case, please could you post in the Problems section of About the Forum, which is where I'm trying to discuss the matter?  Thanks.

Some people are clearly able to edit, because it shows up when they've edited a post, so it may be that there's some problem related to operating system, phone/tablet or whatever. 

• 2 weeks later...