May 8 - Pacific Northwest Ballet will hold a virtual house party to stream it’s complete Giselle! From what we can tell from the Facebook announcement, access will be by donation (?). This is the historically-informed production on which Doug Fullington and Marian Smith worked a few years ago. It should be fascinating to watch the film, following on the heels of Ratmansky’s own historical Giselle for the Bolshoi.

Go to PNB’s Facebook page for more info...I tried pasting the direct link but could not.

Edited by Jeannette

19 minutes ago, Jeannette said:

May 8 - Pacific Northwest Ballet will hold a virtual house party to stream it’s complete Giselle! From what we can tell from the Facebook announcement, access will be by donation (?). This is the historically-informed production on which Doug Fullington and Marian Smith worked a few years ago. It should be fascinating to watch the film, following on the heels of Ratmansky’s own historical Giselle for the Bolshoi.

Go to PNB’s Facebook page for more info...I tried pasting the direct link but could not.

No more details on the website but here is a snippet of the performance, with Kaori Nakamura in the title role.

I don’t know about “y’all,” but I’m totally pumped for tonight’s SUPER GISELLE HOUSE PARTY to view Pacific NW Ballet’s historically-informed Giselle (film of a fabulous 2014 performance starring Kaori Nakamura and Jerome Tisserand). It happens tonight at 7:00 pm Pacific time (10 pm Eastern US)...late for friends in the UK & Europe, I realize...maybe folks can access it for a while after? 

Access requires a donation - “of any amount” - whatever one can give. Instructions for accessing the show will be emailed to donors today, ahead of the House Party...not just the full ballet but some extras! Let’s party tonight!!!

🎉 🎊 🎈 🎊 🎉 

Link for more info, via PNB’s FB:

https://m.facebook.com/PNBallet/photos/a.439537898951/10157709661123952/?type=3&source=48

• Like 3

I'm still trying to work out what the likelihood is of being able to watch this from the UK at a useful time: the Facebook page doesn't give any useful indications.

Ooh, and I have to go and watch Rubies before it drops off ...

6 minutes ago, alison said:

I'm still trying to work out what the likelihood is of being able to watch this from the UK at a useful time: the Facebook page doesn't give any useful indications.

Ooh, and I have to go and watch Rubies before it drops off ...

Right. And I’m still waiting for the promised email from PNB in how to access this. I donated a nice sum (between $50 and $100) one week ago, as soon as I read PNB’s initial FB post about this. I trust that instructions on accessing will come; Seattle is three time zones away from me, so the day is young!

6 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Fingers crossed for you Jeanette.

Dance with Dior...

https://www.prestigeonline.com/sg/pursuits/art-culture/dance-lessons-with-dior/

The “Join the Party!” Invitation came about an hour ago! So happy. For “party going donors,” the Giselle film will remain up for viewing through May 13. 🎈 🎊 🥂 😀 🎉 

PNB is really bringing it. I’ve neighbors coming over. Chairs spaced...social distancing...I’ve a jumbo 4Q TV hooked to computer. Giselle!!!!

• Like 1

By the way, the PNB Giselle that we watched last night was TERRIFIC! Wow! First-class dancing and a delectable production full of rediscovered surprises.

It’s hard to choose between this Giselle reconstruction and the Bolshoi-Ratmansky one. Much to love in both - Ratmansky’s with greater emphasis on the Christian element. I prefer the gorgeous PNB designs by Kaplan, based on the 1841 Paris originals; the Ratmansky based more on Benois-Diaghilev (also beautiful).

Both Bolshoi & PNB include the extended ending with Albrecht and Bathilde but Bolshoi’s longer & clearer. In PNB, Giselle sinks to the earth in her own tomb; at Bolshoi, Albrecht carries her across the stage and she sinks into the earth at a little flowered hill.

Love how the veils of the PNB Willis fly off - up high, then off to the wings!

Some reconstructed scenes in Bolshoi-Ratmansky - such as the Willis’ fugue before the main pdd - don’t appear in PNB...and vice versa...some PNB restored parts don’t appear in Bolshoi-Ratmansky (the village lads encountering the Willis and almost being ensnared).

Big surprise in PNB version: Hilarion (Bakturel Bold) is played as a tall elegant gentleman, in his topcoat. Not at all a peasant yokel, almost an equal to Albrecht. 

Kudos to all soloists. Hard to believe that this performance was Giselle-Kaori Nakamura’s Farewell! Albrecht-Jerome Tisserand absolutely spectacular, esp in his high entrechats and the new-old solo in the pdd. Carrie Imler a perfect Myrtha- the bourrees!!! Amazing Peasant pdd couple, too. Truly a production and performance to savour.

p.s. Our neighbors who joined us - not ballet fans like me & my husband - were so impressed and thrilled with what they saw that they made a donation to PNB!!! Now new ballet fans.

Edited by Jeannette

50 minutes ago, DanJL said:

I'm looking forward to watching the PNB Giselle this afternoon 🙂

Please report back, if you can, DanJL.

In my report, I should’ve mentioned the interesting “extras” that can be seen as part of this PNB Giselle video package, one being an 11-minute intro by Doug Fullington, one of the historians (along with Marian Smith) who conducted the research into sources that informed this production. Fullington & Smith were to have headed a Giselle Symposium in Seattle last month, in conjunction with a cancelled revival of this production. If the symposium & Giselle performances are rescheduled for next season, I’ll try my darnest to attend. Even my husband is talking about going and he rarely comes along on my ballet trips.

Edited by Jeannette

2 hours ago, Jeannette said:

Please report back, if you can, DanJL.

Well that was a really lovely PNB production of Giselle. Great to see those historic touches and I agree really nice to contrast with Ratmansky's Bolshoi version. Feeling very privileged to have been able to see this performance - another one not filmed with the intention of broadcasting, although I enjoyed the simple wide angle with well chosen slight zooms.

The second act was particularly beautiful, thanks in part to some of the most stunning costumes I've seen in ballet. I also loved the part where the veils came off! Wonderful performances too. Glad to have a few days of access to this - at the very least I'll watch the second act again before it runs out!

Thanks so much Jeannette for sharing the information on this.

3 hours ago, DanJL said:

...not filmed with the intention of broadcasting, although I enjoyed the simple wide angle with well chosen slight zooms.

Like you, I was very pleased with the single house cam, as the operator zoomed-in at all the right spots, at the right times. 

Edited by Jeannette

Pacific Northwest Ballet's Swan Lake full performance will be aired On Friday, May 22 at 7pm PST

The film will be available for viewing through Wednesday, May 27 at 11:59pm PST.

CASTING Odette/Odile - Noelani Pantastico Prince Siegfriend - Seth Orza

Originally filmed at the dress rehearsal of Swan Lake on February 1, 2018.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

More good news on rescheduled ballets that were deferred due to last week’s events in the US:

Pacific NW Ballet will begin streaming Twyla Tharp’s 2013 work for the troupe, Waiting at the Station, tomorrow, June 11 @ 7pm Pacific time (10pm Eastern US; 3am on June 12 UK). It will be available through Tuesday, June 16.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157824663383952&id=21358443951

This was originally to have been a “by donation” event. I read nothing about that in the above announcement...so maybe this one will be open?

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I thoroughly enjoyed & highly recommend Pacific NW Ballet’s current stream of Balanchine’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream! Filmed in April 2019 during the dress rehearsal, it stars Laura Tisserand (Titania), Kyle Davis (Oberon) and Jonathan Porreta (Puck)...but I was most impressed by the sublimity of Lesley Rausch and Jerome Tisserand as the PDD Soloists in the Act II divertissement and the sharpness and musicality of Angelica Generosa as the Lead Butterfly. The kids were terrific, too!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg2Hy7mWhEs

Doug Fullington’s preview talk is fascinating, as always:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_g02HNVwA2Y

...and don’t miss this interesting chat with the leads and A.D. Peter Boal.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yRky62CU020

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Here’s a Link to Pacific Northwest  Ballet’s “First Look to the Future Gala” which live-streamed (free) last night but will remain up for four more days. Along with the important appeal for donations are some lovely ballet/dance pieces.   The novelties:

at the 20-min mark: the PNB premiere of resident choreographer Alejandro Cerrudo’s PACOPEPEPLUTO (to popular Dean Martin songs), performed by three men

and

at the 1hr-4 min mark: excerpts from Balanchine’s APOLLO (Terpsichore and Apollo soli + pdd) danced by newly-promoted principal Dylan Wald (Hurrah!) and long-time principal Lesley Rausch.

https://www.pnb.org/season/events/first-look/livestream/

Congrats too to other dancers promoted:

Angelica Generosa to principal (her SWAN LAKE  Odile solo and coda of amazing fouettes here!)

Cecilia Iliescu to Soloist (exc of Red Angels shown)

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

PNB is tweaking its spring offerings, changing the order & content of what’s shown...e.g., the new Wheeldon was to have been included in the just-completed Rep 4 streaming. It now comes in the Rep 6 show (June 10 premiere); it switched with a 2017  recording of Ratmansky’s Pictures at an Exhibition (that was FABULOUS!).

Saddest change: the promised archival recording of Balanchine’s Serenade - during Rep 5, as an extra to the Balanchine/Danilova Coppelia In May - has been removed from the bonus offerings.😢 

Read about the three remaining Rep programs here:

https://www.pnb.org/season/

Edited by Jeannette