Courtesy of today's Links (with a very funny typo corrected):

Oct. 23-25, FSU Center for the Performing Arts: “Donizetti Variations,” George Balanchine; “Amorosa,” Ricardo Graziano; “Company B,” Paul Taylor

Nov. 20-21, Sarasota Opera House: “The Spider’s Feast,” Sir David Bintley; “Dante Sonata” and”Birthday Offering,” Sir Frederick Ashton

Dec. 18-19, Van Wezel: “Romeo & Juliet,” Ashton

Feb. 26-March 1, FSU Center: “Othello,” Peter Darrell; “Changing Light,” Will Tuckett; and TBA

March 26-27, Sarasota Opera House: “Serenade,” Balanchine; “The Letter V,” Mark Morris; “Elite Syncopations,” Sir Kenneth MacMillan

April 9-10, Sarasota Opera House: Mark Morris Dance Group

April 30-May 1, Sarasota Opera House: “Fall River Legend,” Agnes De Mille; “Checkmate,” Dame Ninette de Valois; “Les Biches,” Bronislava Nijinska

Quite a bit there I'd rather like to see!  May have to go to Sarasota to see Dante Sonata after all...

• Like 3

I wish the RB would announce their new season. Even if they can't perform all of it it would be wonderful to have something to look forward to. If they're waiting for a steer from the government about opening theatres I fear we're in for a long wait.

I suspect that the companies that haven't yet announced the Autumn and beyond seasons are waiting to see what happens.  BRB announced their 20/21 season at the beginning of February and the subscription details for Birmingham were due out in March but nothing has happened yet.  The companies must be in an invidious position and I think, disappointing though it is for us, that we just have to give them understanding.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

Do they only do about 15 performances in a season?

Yes. So much work for, in most cases, three performances over the course of two days.

Well, I’m thrilled that my postponed travels to see R&J and Dante (among other rarities) are back on track! Whoopee!!! Also, the hotel options - especially those close to the Opera House - have greatly improved...a great thing especially for those like me who prefer to not drive, as the city has horrible taxi/public transport service at night.

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Oh if only someone with deep pockets would bring them here!

Indeed! From what I’ve noticed during many trips to Sarasota, it seems to attract rather wealthy retirees from the big cultural cities in NE USA...especially ex- Metropolitan Opera subscribers. As great as is the ballet, Sarasota’s opera troupe is even more richly endowed. Another factor in the programming decisions is the relative conservatism of the populace. Hey - ignore the politics. Whatever works to give me (us) our fill of Ashton and other treasures from the past! :)

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 3