What I'm looking for is ...

alison

I hope someone can help me here!  I have only a small amount of space around my TV, and need to do some rationalising of how I store all the TV-related tech - recorders and so on.  I don't have any room for any more furniture as such, so what I'm looking for is a little shelf-type thingy which will raise up (probably the bigger) one of the items and allow me to slide another one underneath it.  So basically:

- something - "wood", maybe plastic? - that's a sort of flattened inverted C-shape

- internal clearance of 30 cm or so

- probable depth in the region of 20 cm

- sturdy - strong enough, ideally, to bear 2.5 kg easily

- it needs to go on top of pine, so some sort of flattened feet to spread the weight so I don't end up with big dents in the pine

I know I've seen something similar, but can't remember where - probably in a catalogue.  All I can think of is those shelf raisers you can buy to put in food cupboards to enable you to stack tins better.

Does anyone know of anything?  Or can you suggest some "magic words" I can Google on to find something?

Many thanks.

6 hours ago, trog said:

Not on its side - it might not be stable enough - but slice the top section off, take out one of the long sides and invert what's left, and that might work, I suppose :) 

7 hours ago, Jane said:

Computer/LCD riser stand? No idea if they would be big enough but assume same principle 

I was thinking of those angled laptop riser stands, and couldn't quite work out what you meant, but now I look at it, something like this is not a bad idea:

https://displaypro.co.uk/products/acrylic-monitor-stand?variant=7441121804335&currency=GBP&utm_campaign=gs-2019-12-11&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6uS2yMLU6AIVFuDtCh009gaNEAQYECABEgKvBvD_BwE

My concern remains that something with such thin "feet" would end up making serious dents in the pine when bearing a heavy load, though ...

26 minutes ago, alison said:

Not on its side - it might not be stable enough - but slice the top section off, take out one of the long sides and invert what's left, and that might work, I suppose :) 

I was thinking of those angled laptop riser stands, and couldn't quite work out what you meant, but now I look at it, something like this is not a bad idea:

https://displaypro.co.uk/products/acrylic-monitor-stand?variant=7441121804335&currency=GBP&utm_campaign=gs-2019-12-11&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6uS2yMLU6AIVFuDtCh009gaNEAQYECABEgKvBvD_BwE

My concern remains that something with such thin "feet" would end up making serious dents in the pine when bearing a heavy load, though ...

I found wooden ones when I googled that are similar to the Perspex one. I’ll look again later and try to post a link. 
Did wonder if you could make your own. Most timber merchants will cut to size and can’t imagine it would take much to construct something simple. 

Edited to add: Could you get plastic dots to pad the ‘foot’ to stop it marking pine? 

Edited by Jane
To add comment

2 hours ago, Jane said:

If you search ‘monitor riser stand’ there are a few on Amazon - wood, Perspex and glass. 
For some reason can’t do links from phone and computer in use for husband working from home. 

Well that's opened up a whole new world for me!!!  Do I need one - of course not - do I want one - of course I do (cabin fever setting in!)

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/s?k=monitor+riser+stand&qid=1586253397&ref=sr_pg_1

32 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Thinking about this - maybe use a bit of table protector. (This kind of stuff: https://www.johnlewis.com/browse/home-garden/table-linens/table-protectors/_/N-7jye.)

Or maybe a carpet offcut?  Sometimes carpet shops will sell items out of their sample books if it is something they are no longer stocking.

Thank you, everyone.  I ought to be able to find something from among all those suggestions.  And when I finally move I can actually use it for its intended purpose of putting the PC monitor on in the office - it's currently sitting on top of a very ancient (last century) and very thick book on how to use the internet :)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, alison said:

Thank you, everyone.  I ought to be able to find something from among all those suggestions.  And when I finally move I can actually use it for its intended purpose of putting the PC monitor on in the office - it's currently sitting on top of a very ancient (last century) and very thick book on how to use the internet :)

Isn't everyone's, Alison?  I thought that was what they were for. 🙂

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I'd totally forgotten about this thread!  You'll be pleased to know I ended up with this one:

https://www.vonhaus.com/vh_en/height-adjustable-metal-monitor-stand?token=aeba9858be0bfbfebad8fb3057e821374909a634&utm_source=yotpo&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=map

Stands on 4 metal tubes, which have plastic feet so hopefully won't dig into anything.  My DVD player just squeezes in underneath it (and I mean just - there is no wriggle room whatsoever) - I'd been hoping I could put it on top and the smaller HDD recorder underneath, but the ^"£$%"£$^ manufacturers make the power cables so short these days that the DVD one wouldn't even reach the ground that way, let alone the socket, so a tight squeeze it is :(  If I needed to I could actually put the DVD at a slight angle and still be able to get the tray to slide in and out, so it's okay.  And the pine surface was higher up still, so there was no way I could have put it on there, so no risk of indenting.  Anyway, it all works nicely as it is, so thank you very much everyone for your help!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

Edited to insert a copy of the following, which I've moved into another thread:

On 20/07/2023 at 00:21, alison said:

(diynot.com seems to fit the bill reasonably nicely :) )

My latest search: fairly large, damp-proof/dirt-proof storage for stuff - including paper products - in in a garage.  Any suggestions welcome.

BTW, just thought I'd say that this isn't supposed to be Alison's personal thread, so if anyone else needs suggestions for things to find, do feel free to join in!

Edited by alison
  • Like 1