Inner wear for ballet dancers - who also wants it?

Amy Ballet

Hi dancers, I wanted to know whether I'm not alone...

I've been ballet dancing for about 7 years now and absolutely love it. I regularly wear leotards to classes but find that they are really thin and don't give me much support/cover me around the breast area. So sometimes I wear sports bras to give me the extra coverage. But then the sports bra ruins the whole style of leotards (especially low backs, mesh, camisole thin straps). I've tried some skin covered innerwear from Bloch and Capezio but don't think they cut it, it's still thin enough that you can still see my nipples protrude!? Does anyone else relate?

Edited by Amy Ballet
Haven't finished post

Welcome to the forum! There are a few threads on this subject already.  The conclusion seems to be that specific "dance underwear" for women is all very well but doesn't seem to recognize that anyone above a C cup exists.   As an adult recreational dance student who wears an HH cup bra, it isn't helpful, and I'm left to choosing only those leotards under which I can wear a normal bra!

Edited by RuthE
  • Like 1

Wow RuthE am impressed how did you retrieve that info so quickly.

I have to say that I've been happy with Capezio full,under leotard for more protection if you are worried by that.

However I usually tend to wear higher cut leotards at the back so can wear a normal bra but when performing in what I would call a more fancy leotard ....including pure white ones 😳 ....then the under leotard worked well for me. 

In the winter at least you could always wear one of those bolero type ballet tops on top of your leotard which would give you some more cover. 

Marks and Spencer's also do some skin coloured type bras with see through or no straps 

Welcome to the forum, Amy Ballet.  I've added some extra tags to the top of this thread: click on what you think is suitable and see if they bring up any other threads apart from those which Ruth has already posted.

2 hours ago, LinMM said:

Wow RuthE am impressed how did you retrieve that info so quickly.

I used the search function to find posts containing the words “bras” and “support”. I realise that’s more specific than what the OP was asking about, but knew that the best threads on the general subject were bound to have a couple of posts with both those words in. (“Bras” on its own as a search term is pretty useless, as there are so many irrelevant posts referring to port de bras.)

• Like 1

Thank you soooo much everyone for your replies - I'm so happy I'm not alone :)

I really think this is an issue, from girls of all sizes (even as a B cup myself, I find i want more coverage). And i want to do something about it! 

Q: If I could look into creating a product, and working with suppliers/manufacturers, would anyone be interested in purchasing? This is something I personally want, but I want to share it with all dancers especially if you feel the same way. I'm starting my journey to find a solution, please let me know if you're interested if I find a solution. 

I think you can have higher back leotards which are just as pretty as some of the more exposed ones

Ive got just one really pretty leotard which has a Lacey bit around the top front and back so this covers the bra area at the back so you can't see the bra strap etc and it's really nice but most of the Lacey ones are more open at the back unfortunately. 

Id be happy too for all leotard ranges to come in bigger sizes as well .....I wouldn't care if it had to be called XXXL to make a proper size 16  

• Like 1