Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, Sadler's Wells, September 2019

I saw Programme A on Friday and was blown away by Lazarus. Based on Philadelphia hip-hop, the piece explores Alvin Ailey's life and the struggle and discrimination experienced by African Americans. 

The first half is more on the reflective side, with slower choreography, the second half is explosive. The company is amazing, and apparently has endless energy to get through Lazarus without slowing down. I could try to describe the actual dancing, but the press clippings in the link below do a much better job than what I'd come up with. I'm sorely tempted to book for Lazarus again.

https://www.alvinailey.org/performances/repertory/lazarus

There is also a 24hr offer available for all 3 programmes (prob till midnight tonight?)

https://www.todaytix.com/x/london/shows/institution/381-alvin-ailey-american-dance-theater-london

Edited by Coated
  • Like 1

Also there last night. Amazing and uplifting performance. So much energy it infects the audience. Revelations (which is part of all 3 programmes) is particularly stunning. For me, a lot of contemporary performances are ruined by headache-inducing music, but that is certainly not the case with Alvin Ailey. 

It also takes a bit of unwinding from the Summer/Autumn brochure.  I'd say it was Prog A (Lazarus/Revelations) last night.  From then:

Tonight, 8 Sep:  Prog B (EN, The Call, Juba, Revelations)

Tuesday night, 10 Sep:  Prog C (New Moultrie, Members Don't Get Weary, Ella, Revelations)

Wednesday night, 11 Sep:  Prog B

Thursday Matinee, 12 Sep:  Prog A

Thursday night, 12 Sep:  Prog C

Friday night, 13 Sep: Prog B

Saturday Matinee, 14 Sep:  Prog C

Saturday night, 14 Sep:  Prog A

Hope that's right! 

• Like 1

I went to the matinee today - Programme B.

I didn't originally book for any performances. I thought I'd seen Revelations enough times and wasn't particularly inspired to go. So glad I did - and with the excellent ticket offer. 

What a TERRIFIC programme. Three great pieces I hadn't seen before: EN, The Call and Juba. All different in style and music but totally worked together as a bill. In all three pieces the choreography was always interesting, the (recorded) music appealing (and not deafening), the costumes attractive and the lighting and staging simple but effective. Revelations, like always, sent everyone off in great spirits. 

As for the dancers - they were mesmerising, outstanding. 

Sad that this has sold so badly, maybe too many performances ? Maybe not marketed well. Honestly anyone who loves dance should really go and see this. 

• Like 2

I've been wondering whether I actually got a flyer from Sadler's Wells for this - and if so, whether it was actually clear enough what programme was when.  It certainly wasn't from the season flier, and as I said it takes quite a bit of effort on the website to work out what is when.  Such a shame, with such great dancers.

I also enjoyed Programme B on Sunday matinee. As an aside, there was a tribute to Alvin Ailey ( and other performers/singers/poets/actors) who succumbed to the HIV virus at a fundraising evening I attended last night at the Shepherds Bush Empire. Fernando Montano danced a solo to The Dying Swan which was very beautiful.

• Like 2

Outstanding performance from the company last night (12th). I was particularly interested in seeing Jamar Roberts first choreography for the company 'members don't get weary' - and I was really impressed. He obviously is a very talented choreographer as well as being a beautiful dancer as seen when he guested with the RB in 2016. Although I've seen Revelations several times, I can't help but be amazed and impressed at the choreography, imagine the impact this ballet made in 1960. And I have to say I wonder if Macmillan ever saw this ballet because some of the movements in the pdd do remind me R&J.... The company at large are looking and performing so well that it was a real pleasure to see them again. Watching #aileymasterclass live this evening I wished I'd had the opportunity to take part in such a fantastic class when I was young. Inspirational!  I sincerely hope the company comes back soon.

• Like 3