DBS advice needed

Clarkd3

Hello, I’m looking for some advice re DBS. My DD will be in her third year of dance training come September but this year has gained her DDE’s in modern and tap. She lives away from home and already has began to pick up teaching work at different dance schools.

She had just got a volunteer DBS as a licensed chaperone for her home address but I gather this won’t cover her for her intermittent dance teacher work.

Any advice on how she can get a suitable DBS as she doesn’t belong to a particular dance school and is still a dance student at present. 

Ps her teachers didn’t seem to know either! 

She needs to apply via a company that acts as an "umbrella".  As I didn't want to tie myself to a particular Dance board I used the following company who provide DBS for individuals.  I applied to be checked as a dance teacher.  But there are other many similar companies around.  The best part is, that I then applied for the Government's DBS update service.  You have to apply for this while your original DBS application is being processed or within a few days of receiving your certificate.  For £13 per year (paid by direct debit) the DBS is automatically updated by the Government and you never have to apply for another.

https://www.eurocomci.co.uk/

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/07/2019 at 21:29, Picturesinthefirelight said:

If she has only just got a DBS then she can register with the Update service. This has to be done within 14 (I think) days of the certificate being issued. 

Then in any future potential employer can simply log on to check her status. 

the DBS  then becomes 'transferable'   as the original  scheme prior to this  issued  the full disclosure to the organisation  applying  for the disclosure 

On 03/07/2019 at 19:15, Clarkd3 said:

Hello, I’m looking for some advice re DBS. My DD will be in her third year of dance training come September but this year has gained her DDE’s in modern and tap. She lives away from home and already has began to pick up teaching work at different dance schools.

She had just got a volunteer DBS as a licensed chaperone for her home address but I gather this won’t cover her for her intermittent dance teacher work.

Any advice on how she can get a suitable DBS as she doesn’t belong to a particular dance school and is still a dance student at present. 

Ps her teachers didn’t seem to know either! 

She needs an enhanced DBS check. If her qualifications are ISTD then here is the link.They are very helpful and organised. 

https://www.ddc.uk.net/help-advice/types/registered-bodies/

• Like 1

This alternative seems very bureaucratic as you have to keep going back to the DDC for each new check. The path I describe is useful as once the initial check has been made and you subscribe to the government's update service you never have to go back to any of these bodies. You merely supply your DBS number to whoever needs to see the DBS and they can check immediately online on the government's site.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Petit Jete said:

Pas de Quatre thanks for that information, I had no idea about that scheme so will definitely look into it once my DBS runs out in a couple of years. Thank you.

I didn’t know they run out unless you change employer and haven’t subscribed to the update service.   

Thank you all so much for your thoughts, it seems very confusing but basically she needs an umbrella organisation to do the DBS and sign up for the renewal scheme?

Any thoughts on the umbrella scheme....does the ISTD offer anything?