A question for Freed Pointe wearers

Anna C

drdance, I hope that the "L" doesn't mean left because both shoes have this hand-written letter!

All4dancers, I thought that it would be difficult! How did your older DD manage to do it? By poking a long needle in and trying to spear the end of the lace?

I'm not exactly sure aileen, she did use a needle, but somehow used it from the outside of the casing to ease the draw string up. Like I say, it did take her a couple of hours, but there was no taking them back as we live a couple of hours from London and dd was due to go to summer school the next day. Needless to say, I tied a large knot in the draw string straight away to prevent it happening again!

• Like 1

I don't know what the "L" is - none of dd's Freeds have had this, but Freeds have the model (e.g. Classic Pro), size (e.g. 3), width (e.g. XXX), the type of insole ("OF" - I asked Freed what that was), and the maker (which is a letter or a symbol).

You do have to be careful with those elastic drawstrings!

yes the pointe shoe glue does come with instructions, just add a few drops to required area, making sure there is no debris or ridges before hand. You really do only need a few drops. I did find it quite hard to get it in exactly the right place though, but dd was very satisfied with the results. One of her shoes is still creaking noisily though, so I think the shank is about to go.

• Like 2

Update on the pointe shoe situation:

I haven't started using my new Z makers as I'm trying to squeeze as much use out of my faulty V makers as possible. However, I have just had a phone call from Freed saying the two pairs of key makers I ordered are in already despite the estimated delivery being January! I've got pointe shoes coming out of my ears now!

Spannerandpony - I hope your DD is getting on ok with her V makers, did you end up ordering any key makers? They may end up appearing earlier than expected!

• Like 2

Thanks Shimmer, she's only just started breaking them in, so they are fine at the moment! The fitter on Saturday told us that while dd's feet are still growing it's not worth putting in a special order for keymaker as his delivery target is February (!)

We just bought one pair of V makers as they were the only stock classic pro that were comfortable, but I'm going to order some pointe shoe glue just in case!

• Like 2

Amazing! I wonder how the makers decide on their career? I showed a similar film clip to the children in my class not long ago after a discussion about ballet. It would be nice to think one of the little boys might be thinking 'when I grow up I'd like to be a pointe shoe maker' :D

• Like 1

Don't worry Aileen, I feel a bit ignorant too! My dd has been en pointe for about 4 years and it doesn't luckily seem this complicated for us. I go into the shop, she tries a pair on and and I pay a lot of money and walk out. Am I missing something? Her pointe work has never been spectacular, but then she has never complained of pain or got blisters.

Should she try on lots of pairs of different makes and fitters to compare?

my dd was literally only in the shop for about 15 minutes this morning because she was perfectly happy with her old pointe shoes, it was just that they had had it, so she just got the same size by the same maker and that was all there was to it. I wasn't with her, she was with her older sister and the only thing was that the fitter ripped the sole out of her old ones to make into soft blocks. However, she has an audition on Tuesday, so I hope to goodness she doesnt't have to do pointe work in it because I'm not with her to sew on ribbons etc!

Just been told that the rising sun maker has gone back to Japan, so will have to have a different maker next time dd needs new pointes :(

:-(

Fortunately Freed seem to have at least 2 makers who make similar types of shoes. Just as well really, because I was amazed at the differences between the different makers - same size, width and model, but completely different fit!

• Like 1

Oh well, today I bit the bullet and squirted pointe shoe glue into the boxes of dd's Freeds as they were feeling "mushy" and were starting to hurt her toes. Even if it makes them last until the end of her show on Sunday, it will be worth it!

• Like 2

Oh well, today I bit the bullet and squirted pointe shoe glue into the boxes of dd's Freeds as they were feeling "mushy" and were starting to hurt her toes. Even if it makes them last until the end of her show on Sunday, it will be worth it!

It definitely works, but you're right it's only a temporary measure. Dd still had to have a new pair. The lady at Freed was quite happy that we had used it on dd's shoes, although she did say the main thing was good maintainance, eg, drying the shoes out properly after each wear which she didn't feel dd was doing. She recommended putting them in the airing cupboard (we haven't got one) or some other warm place.

• Like 2

To rescue a drawstring a bodkin is the best tool. It's like a large blunt needle, you thread an end of the drawstring through it and push it through the casing. It's very fiddly and sometimes the casing is a bit too tight!

I can understand the shop not wanting to exchange them, technically it was lost through incorrect usage but I guess they should maybe make the drawstrings a bit longer!

Aurora, I don't think that I've ever handled a bodkin! It sounds like something out of Cinderella! Whilst I may have been "at fault" most shops and businesses take the view that "the customer is always right" and exchange goods even where, legally, they are not obliged to do so. It seems that ballet stockists are an exception. Another shop, which I'm not going to name, has shocking service. The owner is the Basil Fawlty of the dance stockists world. When he brings you an item for you to look at he virtually slaps it down on the counter in front of you. You have to psych yourself up before you go into the shop.

I suppose it depends on whether the pointes had been worn? If they had, then the shop wouldn't have been able to re-sell them. Then there's the issue of who's at fault - and whether the problem was solvable. If either you or the shop were able to retrieve the drawstring then I suppose there's nothing faulty about the shoe.

In the case of the platform going mushy after a couple of wears, I suppose you could dispute whether the shoes are fit for purpose, but given how differently people wear out their pointe shoes, that could be pretty difficult to prove!

Aileen, from my youth (a couple of millenia ago!) a bodkin is a needle used for darning woollen socks or needlepoint type things on canvases with a wide weave. I hope that makes sense!

Fit for purpose: nothing to do with shoes but many years ago a colleague bought a new car where the engine blew up after a month. He was told cars were deemed fit for purpose after 3 weeks!!!

• Like 1