A question for Freed Pointe wearers

Anna C

Evening all!

My dd's Freed Classic Pro shoes are just at the perfect stage; broken in but still supportive, so before they die I thought we'd get another pair and start breaking them in, alternating between the two pairs.

The shoes are made by the "Key" maker and really suit her feet beautifully. Michelle Attfield fitted them and said to ask for Key maker shoes each time, (she's also had the same model of shoe by "D" maker but they were too hard at demi-pointe and she couldn't get all the way over).

I phoned Freed today and they don't have any Key maker Classic Pro in dd's size, not even at the factory. Special order takes 6 weeks which is too long, so the assistant suggested trying some other makers. The trouble is, we'll be limited for time before Associates, so on the offchance does anyone know any makers similar to Key?

I know it's an awfully long shot but IF anyone can give me some suggestions I thought it might save a bit of time if we could ask for some particular makers.....any ideas?

Thank you!

I had the same issue a couple of weeks ago, my key maker Classic Pros were absolutely perfect and when they died I took them to Freed's and asked for the exact same pair only to be told they didn't have any. The pair I got instead seem pretty good so far (been wearing them for a week) but I have left them in my locker and don't remember which maker they were by. I will check in the morning and let you know!

What size are your DD's feet? I want to get hold of another key maker pair but if they don't have my size I will get another pair the same as my new ones, I also like to have two on the go.

• Like 1

Don't know how accurate/up-to-date this info is but if you scroll about half way down the page it lists the chartacteristics of the different freed makers

http://www.the-perfect-pointe.com/sfreed.html

As long as you don't think dds feet are growing quickly i would go ahead and order a couple of pairs from the key maker. Although you will obviously have to buy something else to tide her over six weeks is not really that long and if i remember rightly you don't even have to buy the shoes when they come in if they are no longer right. Also if you order several pairs you don't have to buy them all at once they will keep them put by for you and you can just buy one pair at a time.

• Like 1

Ah, thanks Spooky! I was worried that I'd have to buy the shoes. Dd's feet haven't grown for almost a year so I'm HOPING they have stopped growing....but had visions of ordering some and her feet growing in the meantime! :-)

Shimmer, if you could let me know which maker your new shoes are, that would be fab - it's a starting point(e) -pardon the pun!

Then if her feet haven't grown I'll put an order in for some key maker shoes. :-)

Hi spannerandpony,

My daughter wears Freed in a 5 and a quarter and several other specific things about the shoe that make them right for her. I ordered 5 pairs to have in for the start of term and when they were in put in an order for another 5 pairs. Freed are really great about you taking 2 or 3 pairs at a time and then send the next few when you contact them and you pay each time they send them out even though they have ordered them in specifically for you. My dd loves her Freeds but also is able to wear Suffolks if we get caught out (as happened when she was on summer school) Because she has such a specific shoe we have to order them well in advance as they can take 6 weeks or so to come in. Don't know if the Suffolks might be an interim option but may be worth a try? :)

• Like 1

Thanks PippinPointe. Suffolks look lovely, I will certainly bear them in mind. I think the plan is to go to Freed next Sat before Associates, order some key maker Classic Pro, try some on (hopefully by a similar maker), and if they're comfy, get a pair for now.

If dd doesn't find them comfy then we'll put the order in and then see Tiffany at Bloch (she is back!!) to see which shoe she suggests as an interim shoe. :-)

• Like 1

May be worth you making an appointment to see Bob Martin - even if its just for a chat about what is most suitable. I was amazed at his knowledge and ability to fine tune shoes, he will make one shoe a quarter size longer if that was required.

Cant recommend the shoes yet though as we havent got them :rolleyes: !

• Like 2

I've had a look at my new shoes and they are by the 'V' maker. They have done well so far and feel very similar to my key maker ones. I'm a 4 XXX so when I go into Freed's tomorrow I might see if they have found any key makers in my size. I hope you manage to get some shoes sorted out :)

• Like 1

I went to Freed today and mentioned that my new V maker shoes seem to be going soft on the platforms already. Apparently they are having a problem with that maker and lots of people have complained about their platforms going soft in a matter of days, so maybe they are not a good idea after all! I ordered a couple of pairs of key maker and they gave me some Z maker's to tide me over which seem quite similar. The shop assistant did warn me that the key maker is "getting on a bit" so it will only get harder to get hold of his shoes.

Dancing in them seems the easy bit after all this hassle!

Edited to mention that the expected delivery date for key maker shoes ordered now is the end of January.

Edited by Shimmer
  • Like 2

Gosh, thanks Shimmer, that's good to know!

That's an awfully long time to wait for Key maker. I'm sure I read an article from 2006 which mentioned that Key maker, then aged 30, had been at Freed since he was 19. That only makes him 36 now - hardly getting on!

We will see if they have any Z makers then....keep me posted on how you get on with them! :-)

• Like 1

Phew! Well, having tried on 6 different pairs, the only comfy pair that felt right were V makers! We discussed the possibility of the box or platform softening and the fitter said to see how we get on with them. So we only bought 1 pair and if they soften too quickly we will order key makers and see Tiffany at Bloch in the meantime....

If they do go soft within days as opposed to weeks, I wonder if I can take them back?

To harden my daughter pours the liquid into the lid of the bottle then into the bottom of the pointe shoe rolling the shoe around to get the coating where she needs it. She then props the shoes up on a hot radiator to go hard. It really is that simple! When she attended a RBS workshop a few years ago the teacher was really surprised to find out not many dancers were aware of this as she said it was pointe shoe maintenance. We never needed to do this with her Grishko's bur

• Like 1

To harden my daughter pours the liquid into the lid of the bottle then into the bottom of the pointe shoe rolling the shoe around to get the coating where she needs it. She then props the shoes up on a hot radiator to go hard. It really is that simple! When she attended a RBS workshop a few years ago the teacher was really surprised to find out not many dancers were aware of this as she said it was pointe shoe maintenance. We never needed to do this with her Grishko's but she dances a lot more now and we have been told Freeds need more looking after!

• Like 1

Apparently dancers used to use Johnsons Klear floor polish but they changed it about a year ago so have used Freed (rather expensive) or Papillon since. I know EYB suggest Ronseal wood hardener but have not tried it. You can use clear shellac from a diy store if you can find it. Jet glue is supposed to make your shoes as hard as rock with just a few drops but again haven't yet resorted to that. Its amazing what you pick up as a 'dance mum!'

• Like 1

Gosh, having read these posts I feel really ignorant. My DD got her first pair of pointe shoes from Freeds a couple of weeks ago. Her teacher was happy with them but I had to go back and exchange them because one end of the lace somehow disappeared inside the bit round the edge of the shoe, if you know what I mean? That has never happened with any of my DD's ballet slippers (looking at the shoes now the laces do look rather short). I didn't feel that I would be able to extract the lace and the teacher told me to exchange them but Freeds weren't exactly accommodating and thought that I should extract the lace myself. I persisted and they reluctantly replaced them. I reasoned that if it was a straight forward matter to extract the lace then they would have done it there and then (the shop was not busy) and not have talked about returning them to the manufacturers. Anyway, I digress. What I wanted to ask was what a keymaker is and what the name and various letters on the shoes mean. My DD's shoes have the words "Classic Pro" then a hand written "L" on the bottom. They also have a "3" (I assume that that is the size), a "C", "XXX", "OF" and an "M" under the word "ENGLAND". Can someone enlighten me. I must seem dreadfully ignorant.

the lace had to exchange them (the

real igno

Edited by aileen

At Freeds, as in many manufacturers, the shoes are hand made. At Freeds, the different makers' shoes are quite different and so people prefer to stick with one maker. Each maker has a code - the symbol of the key is one particular maker. Classic Pro is the overall style. 3 is the size and XXX is the width fitting.

The hand written L might be down to someone writing L and R on the shoes for left and right? One of the other letters will be the maker, but with no recent experience of Freed shoes I don't know any more.

one end of the lace somehow disappeared inside the bit round the edge of the shoe, if you know what I mean? That has never happened with any of my DD's ballet slippers (looking at the shoes now the laces do look rather short).

This also happened to my dd's last pair of Freed pointe shoes. Luckily, my older dd managed to extract it, although it did take her a couple of hours!