Audition insight days/workshops

Pointytoes22

Theres a rbs audition insight day is on 31st October, enbs have one on 29th October and one on 2nd January and central school of ballet have a dance day on 9th December.

Has anybody been to anything like these before? I'd like to audition for sixth forms but am not sure if I'm up to the right standard so I thought things like this could be good indicators and also a good experience in general. Does anybody have experience?

• Like 1

We found the open days very useful but this was 3 years ago. They all vary in terms of what you get to see and who you get to meet. But if you are thinking of auditioning then yes do go to the open days.

But please don't get too put off if you perceive current students to be of a much higher standard to you. Obviously it will give you an idea of what kind of students suit which place but remember that at audition you will be judged as much on potential as on current standard.

• Like 1

My DD went to the enb audition day last October and thoroughly enjoyed it. The teachers gave advice in general about their audition process and I actually learned a lot from talking to other parents as we waited for them to come out. I know several people who have attended Centrals days of dance and they were thoroughly recommended to us but DD never actually managed to fit one in. My DD found the day at enb to be a very good and positive experience, even though it was not somewhere she eventually chose to audition.

My DD attended ENB in January and enjoyed the day and felt that the standard was higher than her level at the time (she was 13) she has also attended a couple of their summer schools and enjoyed them (although she felt there weren't enough english girls). We tried the Central Spring course this year and she loved it - we will be back for the day on the 9th :) On the days I don't think many corrections are given but it is a great eye opener to the audition process and there are lots of top tips.

• Like 1

Some of my pupils have attended various of these over the years and thoroughly enjoyed them. They do help by familiarising the students with the staff and the venues. However, the standard of those attending is variable, and so not necessarily a true indication of the level for auditions. The average standard of dancers at auditions for post GCSE courses tends to be higher because you have those already at Vocational schools and foreign students to add to the mix.

In Year 10 my DS went to RBS, ENB and Central audition insight/Dance days and found them very good and as Pas de Quatre said 'helps by familiarising the students with the staff and the venues' so when it came to the actual audition days in Year 11 it was one thing less to worry about as we'd seen the places before.

Do try and go to as many as you can. Advice seemed general and not one to one.

The ENB audition course is aimed at those auditioning the same year for entry the next September (ie in year 11) and those in year 10. During the day they are taught a number of exercises, sequences that would be typical of those given during an audition. They can be given individual corrections on exercises in class but are not given any individual advice on auditions. Audition information was all quite general. You do not get a tour of the facilities but will see the common room, changing rooms and a dance studio. Be prepared to say goodbye to accompanying parents as soon as you are signed in as there is no waiting area for them but if they return a little early to collect you, parents are often allowed into the common room to wait. That is where I learned alot, from parents who had done summer courses etc.

• Like 1

One audition insight day my DD attended did sort of give feedback. This was the Hammond taster day, which actually did not include ballet but aimed to give a taste of other dance styles and musical theatre. It was a whole day for the students to experience contemporary, jazz, street etc and they got a tour of the school and were given a lot of information about the 6th form courses. The 'feedback' came in the form of a letter afterwards to those students they felt had potential inviting them to audition and sending the relevant paperwork to do so. I do not think that the letters went out to all participants as my DD commented that after each class Hammond staff would approach just a few indiviuals to check their details.