Online tutu makers

Dancemaddad

I can recommend my friend Karen who makes tutu's by mail order as she makes lovely tutu's very nicely. Her website is www.tutusbykaren.co.uk and you can also find her on Facebook if you do a search for Tutus by Karen.

However as a tutu maker myself I would NEVER make a tutu without at least one fitting (normally two or three) as the fit is important and girls bodies are never the same shape as a tailors dummy. There is nothing worse than a tutu that's baggy under the arms! I'm sorry but I don't know exactly how much Karen charges, only that she's cheaper than me :rolleyes:

If you want a good fit for your money have a fitting!

• Like 4

Karen made a stretch tutu for my dd; dd doesn't do festivals but needed a reasonably priced tutu. You have to book her well in advance as she gets booked up, and I'm not sure whether she makes regular tutus by mail order, (obviously stretch tutus are easier to fit "remotely") so you'd need to ask.

The stretch tutu she made dd was absolutely beautiful and fitted perfectly. She has quite a few photos of tutus on her Facebook page. I'd have no hesitation in recommending her. :-)

• Like 1

Not cheap I'm afraid, but I have bought a number of costumes from http://benefisshop.com/ over the years and always been delighted with both the quality and service. When I first discovered them the payment was in US dollars and at the time the exchange rate was very favourable so their tutus were a real bargain. Sadly that's not the case now, but they are very beautiful.

I also make tutus - generally for the south coast area....I have occasionally made a tutu for a long distance client (Just sent one up to Scotland!) but much preffer to have a least one fitting if not the usual 2 or 3.

I have recently made a traditional bodice in heavy lycra for a romantic tutu that worked out very well so you can have the best of both worlds :P

www.trudistutus.com

T

I bought my dd a tutu from theatreballet.com 2 years ago.

I was really anxious as it is an American company and the ordering/payment was done online and all the measurements I had to do myself (though their measurement chart was really precise).

It wasn't cheap either but I have to say when it arrived I was so impressed and my dd was thrilled. The quality was superb and it fitted perfectly but with clever little design details to allow some growth!

Their customer service was first class (as you would expect from an American company)and everything was done when they said it would be done.

The only hold up was when it arrived in the UK and was kept in customs for several days!!

It is worth looking at their catalogue online just for design inspiration!

She's outgrown it now sadly but won't let me sell it so we have framed it and displayed it as a(large)piece of artwork. :-)

Edited by Kitschqueen_1
  • Like 1

My daughter had a "karen tutu" a couple of years ago which was made via correspondence ie choosing fabrics etc although I did get an experienced dressmaker to measure her as there were a lot of measurements required. The result was absolutely stunning and really beautifully made. She has a lovely facebook page with loads of stunning pictures but is in huge demand as so reasonably priced for the hours of work (think she must make them out of pure pleasure) - I cannot recommend her enough