New book(?) on Edward Watson

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Odyssey said:

An eye watering £950 !

https://www.rickguest.gallery/product/edward-watson-portrait-of-a-dancer

Let’s hope a book about Ed Watson will be published that his many admirers can afford to purchase.

Quite.  But it is being made more and more clear that 'poor' dedicated ballet fans count for nothing.  Of course I understand that limited edition works of art will be expensive, but I will be interested to see, as Odyssey says, whether Ed's numerous fans are also treated to some lovely photographs of him, maybe in a sensibly-priced commemorative book when he retires from dancing.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, John Mallinson said:

In defence of the price, this isn't a book. It's a collection of 30 very large format prints (65 x 50cm) with an accompanying booklet, presumably all in a nice box. That works out at about 30 quid a print which isn't bad if one thinks of it as an art publication.

Absolutely, and as I mentioned I totally understand art in limited edition being expensive.  I just mean that it would be very nice if something were produced for the Ed fans who can 't afford such art.  

• Like 3

I think the 250 copy limited edition aspect is probably just a realistic (or optimistic) assessment of the number likely to be sold for £950, and a sales gimmick. Rick Guest's other two dancer books sell for £50 so I suppose it might appear in book format at that sort of price, but not soon.

• Like 1

• alison changed the title to New book(?) on Edward Watson
19 hours ago, alison said:

When I finally found a way past the Telegraph's paywall, I was hugely disappointed to see that this appears simply to have been a rehash of the foreword to the "book".  Quite frankly, I think the Telegraph has a "£$%"£^ cheek trying to charge you to access something which isn't actually their content.

On 07/10/2018 at 07:34, John Mallinson said:

In defence of the price, this isn't a book. It's a collection of 30 very large format prints (65 x 50cm) with an accompanying booklet, presumably all in a nice box. That works out at about 30 quid a print which isn't bad if one thinks of it as an art publication.

Wouldn’t this forum be a perfect place to find people willing to each buy a print for 30 pounds? You could use an internet cash raising program to ensure all pay, then every fan could put theirs in a nice frame. Drawing straws for order of preference of which print to select. With Christmas around the corner it would make a great gift.

Edited by SwissBalletFan
  • Like 2