Matthew Golding - RB guest this season

Oh lucky you! Matthew is great (also looks amazingly like Brad Pitt, which will please the ladies on balletcoforum). He's from Saskatchewan (Canada) originally, trained at the Royal Winnipeg Ballet School then at the Kirov Academy in Washington DC. A YAGP first prize winner. Was with ABT's junior company, then I think Angel Corella's company before joining DNB. Has had quite a meteoric career and can be seen on both DNB's Don Q and Nutcracker DVDs. A beautiful turner. Enjoy!

If anyone wants to run it through Google Translate, his biog from the DNB website is here: http://www.het-balle...atthew-golding/ Just realised there is an English language version of the site too: http://www.het-ballet.nl/en/dancers-and-team/dancers/principals/matthew-golding/ - I did think it odd that a company operating in such a non-widely-spoken language wouldn't have an English version as well, but the link was off my screen.

I do find it slightly worrying that his own website can't spell the name of his own company properly :(

Are they going to be short on Solors? Quite possibly, I suspect. Longer term, I suppose the proposed Don Q would be an obvious choice, but that's not this season, anyway. Otherwise, I can't see any obvious overlaps between what he's already danced and the season's programming.

Looking at what remains to be cast I can only see Mayerling, Bayadere and the New MacGregor/Symphony in C double bill. I would think the Royal had Mayerling and the MacGregor covered so I guess perhaps Solor is the obvious role. Unless he has a Balanchine background which doesn't seem to be the case... Intriguing!

Matthew Golding is a very good dancer, as already mentioned he is a good turner, has elegance and also great in partnering skills. He guested in Tokyo Ballet's La Bayadere (Natalia Makarova version) last year and was terrific. Also, he is quite tall so he can partner tall ballerinas too. He must be guesting for Solor.

• 1 month later...

Matthew Golding is a very good dancer, as already mentioned he is a good turner, has elegance and also great in partnering skills. He guested in Tokyo Ballet's La Bayadere (Natalia Makarova version) last year and was terrific. Also, he is quite tall so he can partner tall ballerinas too. He must be guesting for Solor.

And now we know he is.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

My definition of "spring" wouldn't include June or whenever Swan Lake is taking place, and he's not appearing in Sleeping Beauty, so my guess would be the mixed bill at the Coliseum in April (conjointly with his RB appearances, which I think are in May?)

I think that it is unlikely that Matthew Golding will dance in ENB's Spring triple bill unless he is replacing Nicolas Le Riche who it was previously announced is guesting in Le Jeune Homme et La Mort. I think that it is more likely that he is dancing in Swan Lake in the Round, possibly with Tamara, so that Daria and Begona can dance with their regular partners. I'm sure that I read somewhere that there would be a guest or guests dancing in this production, and Derek Deane has certainly brought in guests for this before (who can forget the saga of Polina Semionova and her visa in the first of the Agony and the Ecstasy programmes).