Opportunity for BTEC dance outside of school

hgib23

Hi, my daughter has applied to do a BTEC dance equivalent to a gcse at Cambridge Ballet Academy in Cambridge & Newmarket, the auditions are mid July so fingers crossed she gets a place.

She would rather do this course than the school one as this is more ballet focussed. If she does it at school it’s very commercial / hip hop which she doesn’t enjoy, I can see so many advantages to doing it outside of school as the teaching is by dance teachers, an extra gcse choice for school. Studying with students have the same passion,is always a bonus.

Does anyone have experience of BTECs outside of school? 

Just in case anyone is interested in this course the website is 

https://www.cambridgeballetacademy.co.uk 

Edited by hgib23
Not finished work

11 hours ago, invisiblecircus said:

Is it the Btec level 3 National Extended Diploma in Dance she is thinking of doing? I can't see another Btec course listed on their website.

If it is that is not equivalent to GCSE it’s equivalent to A level. It’s level 3, DD is currently doing Level 3 Extended Diploma in Performing Arts(Dance)  and I would not recommend doing it along side GCES. 

GCSEs are hard work, especially when you are juggling an extra curricular subject outside of school to throw in a level 3 would be crazy. 

The information about it dies say it’s fir 16-18 year olds and they must have 5 GCSES ........ as invisiblecircus said that is the only one listed on their website. 

If there is another one, I would still think long and hard. I understand your reasoning but please check the commitment carefully. As I said GCSEs are tough and they need as much help and support from their friends and teachers as possible. 

• Like 1

I took GCSE dance outside of school as an additional to the ones I took inside of school. However I took my dance and RE gcse in year 10 which freed up time in year 11. It was certainly possible 10years ago but the kids I teach now seem under so much more pressure than I was! 

There is a Level 2 btec in dance available.  Ds's school offers it as an extra option/alternative to doing PE. It used to be commonly offered in schools but several dropped it recently with the new Progress/Attainment 8 restrictins of how many non bucket qualifications you can take.

However as others have said the btec diploma advertised on that website is a full time 30 hours per week course at Level 3 (equivalent to A Level) so unless this is a different course not yet on the website it will not be suitable for your dd until she has finished Year 11.

Edited by Picturesinthefirelight
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Pointetoes said:

If it is that is not equivalent to GCSE it’s equivalent to A level. It’s level 3, DD is currently doing Level 3 Extended Diploma in Performing Arts(Dance)  and I would not recommend doing it along side GCES. 

GCSEs are hard work, especially when you are juggling an extra curricular subject outside of school to throw in a level 3 would be crazy. 

The information about it dies say it’s fir 16-18 year olds and they must have 5 GCSES ........ as invisiblecircus said that is the only one listed on their website. 

If there is another one, I would still think long and hard. I understand your reasoning but please check the commitment carefully. As I said GCSEs are tough and they need as much help and support from their friends and teachers as possible. 

It’s a new GCSE Course it’s not on Website yet!

Hello everyone,

Sorry for the confusion we have only just been approved to deliver the level 1/2. and exactly as sated above this isn't on the website yet we are currently looking to put it up in the next few days.

Our level 3 btec will start this time next year.

Sorry for the confusion. Going a level 1/2 is the equivalent of 1 GSCE and all out teachers are dancers no PE teachers in sight here.

Any question feel free to contact me

M  

Tagging on from some other posts.

I'm not sure of the Ballet Grades your DD is currently at but if she is at RAD Grade 6 or above (other exam boards maybe the same) then she will already have Level 3 (equiv to A levels). Therefore the BTEC level 1/2 would be below the Ballet Grades (experience) which maybe seen as a backward step. With pointed toes obviously.  

Some pupils I know that are taking the new A level Dance which has changed from A level Performing Arts but are Grade 8 Ballet and Advanced Tap & Modern have realised that they may have lost out on another academic exam because they are now duplicating qualifications on their CV. Whilst also finding the A level Dance not challenging enough for their abilities. 

This information maybe worth knowing when considering your options and future plans.

Good Luck, having just survived the GCSE season myself and along with other parents we now look back at the option time with a different outlook, knowledge and hindsight. 

• Like 2