Hi all,

I've noticed that quality ballet is (thankfully!) coming to my fair city a little more these days, with BRB and ENB bringing their filles and swans respectively to Bristol later this year. Both are going to be at the Bristol Hippodrome. It's a theatre I don't have much love for, to be honest, as the spurious 'fees' are often as extortionate as the ice cream prices! While I'd much rather go to the Birmingham Hippodrome or Wales Millennium Centre, I can't ignore the fact the Bristol Hippodrome is 15 minutes walk away from my flat.

Anyway, as I was booking for another event at the Hippodrome, this got me to wondering if I should consider the ATG Theatre Card

Have any of you subscribed to the ATG Theatre Card, and if so what have your experiences been? Are there ever good offers on ballet performances, and have you found the card good value for money? I'd be very keen to hear your experiences before I decide whether to invest or not.

Thanks,

BBB

14 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

The fees are indeed ludicrous, but unless the policy has changed in the last few months I don't think that they charge any fees at the Hippodrome if you book in person at the Box Office.

That's true, and I often work around the corner so do that most of the time. While saving on fees would be good for other venues, I'm more curious about the deals and other offers, such as discounts or advanced bookings, etc., that come through the ATG Card, whether they'd be worth it.

Jan McNulty is a big fan, I think.  I had one a few years ago, because a lot of my local suburban theatres were members of ATG - they aren't all any more.  You can get some great discounts with it - half-price first nights was one, but I don't know whether that's still the same (it was in Oxford last time I went).

• Like 1

I stump up for mine because a number of theatres I go to are ATG.  I usually save quite a lot more than the cost of the card without even considering the fees I don't have to pay.

The card is £45 so you have to work out whether you will be going to enough performances to justify the cost.  Not every first night is half price - sometimes the discount is only £5 or £10.  I have also noticed recently that you can get half price on the first night if you book before a certain date, otherwise only a £10 discount.

With NB now going to the Lowry and BRB only going to Sunderland once a year it may not be worth my while to renew when my fee is due in April.

• Like 1

You can get the card for £35 if you agree to pay by direct debit. Although this means ATG will automatically deduct money 12 months later it is easy to cancel.

The first night discount only applies to some seat prices (middle of the range). It is an infuriating organisation. I recently paid for another card but when trying to book on-line my new membership number is not recognised so 2 weeks ago I emailed them for help. No response. It costs a lot to phone them; but the agents can be quite helpful. The booking fees are ridiculous so you can save a lot by membership if you can't book in person at an ATG theatre (I rejoined to book for ENB at Manchester Opera House).

• Like 2

I just renewed our card on the DD to get the cheaper rate. I booked ENB Swan Lake opening night half price in Liverpool and then I may get Manon in Manchester if I'm around. You get 10% off drinks and coat check is free if there is one. Matthew Bourne is only £10 off on opening night.