Combi boiler problems in freezing weather

hoglett

Hi,can anybody help? I have an ideal logic 30 boiler that's showing a fault code that would suggest low pressure, but it hasn't got low pressure. I've thawed the condensate pipe but still nothing.  Twiddled valves and tried to reset and nothing.  

5 minutes ago, Picturesinthefirelight said:

Air lock maybe?

I was just wondering about that.  Steve From Wales says:

"If your radiators are cold in areas try and bleed them using a rad key, but make sure to top the boiler back up after you’ve bled the rad - your pressure should read 1.5bar if it’s a combi."

Full article here:  https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/plumbers-advice-what-your-boiler-14350488

• Like 1

Thanks both.  Don't think it's the radiators though,  think it's the actual boiler. Condensate pipe was frozen and I think this has caused all of the problems.  Had issue since Thursday - rented property but estate agents say plumber can't come until Monday :-(

Hoglett, this May be of no help whatsoever, if so, I apologise, but I had a similar issue a few days ago. I defrosted the condenser pipe, went back in and pressed the reset button ( or at least what I believed to be the reset button) - nothing! Went through the process again, then spent several minutes scratching my head staring at the boile, same error message teasing me. I then remembered from the dark recesses of my mind that as well as the more obvious reset button on the front of the boiler, there is also a tiny little pin-hole button, the kind you have to poke the sharp end of a pencil ( or similar ) in. It isn’t labelled or indicated at all, it’s on the front of the boiler underneath the more obvious button. I stuck the end of a pencil in, pressed the reset button again and hoorah....the boiler whirred into action, I nearly cried tears of joy! I’m trying to attach a photo but the file size is too large, will try to sort it

• Like 1

We had a similar problem I think it's Fault 27 which came up which means there is not enough water in the system so the gas is automatically cut off.

We did three things. 

First went outside and checked the outside pipe hadn't frozen .....it had ...so poured some boiling water on it and you could hear the ice clunking down.

Then we ...or rather my partner...fiddled with something underneath our particular boiler....a sort of mini stop cock thing  which releases water back into,the system and the pressure seemed to go up substantially 

Then the reset button and luckily the boiler came back to life. 

Mine is a combi condensing boiler ...a Valiant ....and though I can hardly believe it nearly 20 years old.

It has mostly only played up in extremely cold weather but did have to have some part replaced a couple of years ago but that's all....and the gas fitter said the early ones like ours were built like tanks and very strong and he thought much better generally than the ones of recent years which he didn't think were as reliable. 

Hope yours gets sorted it's miserable having no not water or heating in this weather.

• Like 3

We got back late last night from EYB to discover water dripping out of our boiler and no heating/water. Sadly it’s looking like we need a new one, it is 30 yrs old, and our heating guy has been predicting this for sometime. He is coming tomorrow and I have spent the morning borrowing heaters. So relieved it has warmed up....... 

22 hours ago, Pointetoes said:

We got back late last night from EYB to discover water dripping out of our boiler and no heating/water. Sadly it’s looking like we need a new one, it is 30 yrs old, and our heating guy has been predicting this for sometime. He is coming tomorrow and I have spent the morning borrowing heaters. So relieved it has warmed up....... 

Oh no - not a nice end to an otherwise (hopefully) lovely day.  Hope you get sorted quickly.  I'm hoping the plumber will be at my house this afternoon but I have downloaded a money off voucher for Prezzo if it's not fixed by this evening  ;)  I am so fed up of boiling kettles for water!!  Fortunately Prezzo is near my parents so I'm thinking we could pop in for showers too:D  You can tell that I'm really hopeful that it will be sorted!!

1 minute ago, hoglett said:

Oh no - not a nice end to an otherwise (hopefully) lovely day.  Hope you get sorted quickly.  I'm hoping the plumber will be at my house this afternoon but I have downloaded a money off voucher for Prezzo if it's not fixed by this evening  ;)  I am so fed up of boiling kettles for water!!  Fortunately Prezzo is near my parents so I'm thinking we could pop in for showers too:D  You can tell that I'm really hopeful that it will be sorted!!

We now have no hot water as the immersion heater decided to go on strike. So far I am the only one to have a warm shower today, thanks to my gym membership. I have suggested the rest of them go for a swim this evening and then have a shower. Boiler man arriving sometime today .......

Yes we had had a lovely day which definitely helped. 

Hope yours gets sorted today. On the plus side the weather is much warmer today 😄