Cost of Dance photoshoot

Mumofadancer

Evening all, my DD has asked for a professional photoshoot for her birthday. She loves (as do I) the work of Jon Applegate and he seems to be the photographer of choice for the dancers she follows on social media.  I just wondered if any of you have done something similar and could give an idea of costs?  I see on Jon’s website there is a sitting fee but no indication of the cost of the images which I assume aren’t included.  Any info would be appreciated as would recommendations of other photographers you would recommend.  We’re in Tyneside but willing to travel. Thank you in advance

I know nothing about Jon Applegate.

There is a dance photographer in the North East called 'En Pointe photo'. I don't know how much they are, but I know they often do shoots and deals. A friend had some photos and they are stunning.

Edited by Pixiewoo
Autocorrect!
  • Like 2

I don't Know anything about Jon Applegate either but if you're interested in his work, why not call or email him and ask for a breakdown of costs for his services?

I'm trying to arrange a photoshoot for my baby at the moment and it's proving to be a lot more complicated than I imagined! Like you, I have found photographers who charge a sitting fee but then I need to contact them to find out how much they are charging for prints and whether I'll get digital copies or not. Some photographers are charging a flat fee for sitting plus x number of prints/ digital files, but THEY get to choose the pictures and in some cases want to create the "look" of pictures themselves too. With some of them, it feels as if they just want to use my baby as a subject for their own artistic vision, and I'm not interested in having pics of her in a tiny wheelbarrow full of vegetables with a cabbage leaf on her head! ;-)

You really need to clarify exactly when you're getting and what your expectations are before making a booking!

• Like 5

IIRC, Jon Applegate is based here in Hertfordshire - that's a heck of a journey from Tyneside!  :o

As Jan suggests, I would look at photographers who have worked with Northern Ballet, or even further south for those who have worked with Birmingham Royal Ballet or Elmhurst.  Or follow Pixiewoo's advice and look at En Pointe studio.  

Is it "just" a birthday photoshoot (as opposed to audition photos for schools or companies)? If so, you probably don't need to pay so much or travel so far.   One of dd's friends had a lovely photoshoot done as part of a birthday party; it was just a very local studio but the photos of the girls were gorgeous.  

If you need ballet audition shots done and are happy to pay professional fees then that's when it's worth looking at people like Photography by ASH, Tim Cross, Martin Bell etc - the pros who work with the big schools and ballet companies. :)

• Like 2