Hammond Summer Schools (including solo coaching)

Picturesinthefirelight

Applications for the Hammond Easter & Summer Schools are now open. 

The Intensive Ballet course might be of particular interest to anyone preparing for auditions next year as participants will be coached in a solo which they are then able to use for auditions or competitions.  It is open to Intermediate & above level dancers.

There are is also a Triple threat Performing Arts summer schools for ages 10 and above and a non residential dance Easter School

http://www.thehammondschool.co.uk/information/outreach-easter-and-summer-dance-schools.php

• Like 4

Pictures I'm afraid our experience at the Ballet SS last year was very mixed :(

They had accepted a lot of children onto the course who were clearly not Inter level. Many were A LONG way off.

It appeared the teacher in charge had not been informed about this until she saw them dancing on the first day.

The teacher worked very hard to ensure the dancers at the Inter level got the SS that had been promised but it was not optimal. And at the showing I felt sorry for those at a lower level who were clearly out of their depth.

I am happy to discuss on PM if anyone wants. 

I see the leaflet this year does say " girls must have very strong pointe skills" I don't think it was clear enough last year as it was the first ballet intensive ss they had offered. My dd thoroughly enjoyed it but I agree there were quite a few pupils who were out of their depth last year.

What does 'very strong pointe skills' mean? Hearing that phrase, I would be inclined to think that girls must be able to fouetté, multiple pirouettes, balloné, everything they can do in normal flats! But the level is set at minimum Intermediate... Which is mostly just barre work and a few echappés and relevés? 

I notice it also says this year that boys must have sound virtuosic steps. 

I guess that nothing will ever ever stop some parents booking their children on who are below the standard but I do feel sorry for the children in that instance. 

As you say Bluebird one size doesn't fit all. My dd hated Tring last year for example & for £500 received very little tuition. 

Edited by Picturesinthefirelight

4 hours ago, ArucariaBallerina said:

What does 'very strong pointe skills' mean? Hearing that phrase, I would be inclined to think that girls must be able to fouetté, multiple pirouettes, balloné, everything they can do in normal flats! But the level is set at minimum Intermediate... Which is mostly just barre work and a few echappés and relevés? 

In the  Discovering  repetoire thread  Sophie posted a link to the  full RAD specifications  document 

in Int Foundation  (  other  CDET awarding  bodies still  call their equivalent  certificate Elementary)

Pointe barre -  Rises, Echappés, relevés and courus
Pointe centre  - Echappés relevés and classical walks two at a time 

in Intermediate itself 

Pointe barre -
Rises 

Relevés passés derrière OR devant (examiner choice) 

Posés and coupé fouetté raccourci 

Pointe centre
Temps lié and courus

Relevés 

échappés relevés

pirouettes en pointe aren;t assessed in RAD until Advanced Foundation 

so a minimum of 'Intermediate'  and 'strong' pointe skills would suggest that   you;d be looking at  having the Int  content  nailed and  the adv F content  well on the way ...  ( IIRC  adv foundation is relatively  new (compared to  other RAD  awards )   and  'filled a gap' between  a revised Interemediate  and the  Advanced  awards 

• Like 2

Pictures the school would have been able to tell from the ages of the children that they couldn't possibly be Inter level.

I suspect some parents thought Intermediate meant not a beginner and didn't realise it was a vocational grade.

• Like 2