Royal Ballet: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Autumn 2017

20 minutes ago, Balletfanp said:

Muntagirov was lovely as Jack/the Knave, but had too little to do really, until the act 3 solo showed off his beautiful lyrical dancing, his easy graceful leaps and acting skills (he really is more than just a danseur noble).

Itziar Mendizabal was the Queen, and brought the house down - deservedly - with the Tart Adage! A great actress as well as a lovely dancer.

I do agree agree about Muntagirov. Those of us who were lucky enough to see him dancing with ENB know how versatile he is. As the leading man in Jeux, who seems to be dancing all of the time, he is dramatically stunning and his dancing in an unusual style, which looks extremely difficult to my amateur eye, is just as amazing as in the classics.

I loved Mendizabal as the Queen of Hearts. She is very slight of frame but very big in her interpretation. Terrific.

• Like 5

I see others have beat me to writing about Saturday night, so I will just echo the plaudits.  I have always loved the Beatriz-Vadim partnership.  I think it's interesting and lovely and they really bring different things out of each other.  They look great together, have good chemistry and clearly love dancing together.  This is a partnership I would really like to see develop further.....more please, Mr O'Hare!!  I think Beatriz is my favourite Alice.....she paces her perfectly, the character beautifully nuanced with just the right combination of knowing that she is clever, but being completely flummoxed by her situation and, knowing how far to go with each of the strange characters populating Wonderland as she knows they could help her,  she keeps any arrogance in check....but is not afraid to be dominant when she has to.  Coupled with her vulnerability and fear of her situation, it is just the right balance, and perfectly pitched.  And that sunny personality and huge smile reached up to the rafters, rather like Nela Nunez.  Interesting that these most delightfully radiant dancers partner so well with Vadim, whose joy in whatever he does is also infectious all around the house.  His dancing is, of course, superb.  I too wish he had more to do in this particular ballet.

James Hay was just marvellous as the White Rabbit.  I was having trouble knowing where to look when he was onstage;  at one point when Beatriz and Vadim were doing their pdd outside the Duchess's house, he was standing against the wall holding the tray of tarts and it was just hilarious watching him through the binoculars.....a whole thing was going on there between him and the tray:  the suffering he endured as he desperately tried not to eat a tart was simply a joy to behold and had me almost laughing out loud.  What a wonderful dance actor he is becoming.  He possesses such a deep understanding of every role that he dances.

Speaking of laughing out loud, every time Itziar did something on stage the little girl next to me did just that;  laughed out loud!  She laughed during the 'tart adage' and the Carmen solo, and at various other points.  I too thought that Itziar was just hilarious in the role. I love the bit where the Caterpillar is making his witness statement and she gets all hot and bothered.   Interesting that three of the five Queens this run are Spanish, and all very, very funny (even though it looks like Zen won't be doing her turn, sadly)!    Gary Avis was his usual brilliant self as the henpecked, put-upon King of Hearts (hilariously announced on the ROH tannoy as taking over the role of The Queen of Hearts from Alistair Marriott!!  :)  )

It was such a very enjoyable evening, and there were loads of people who stood to applaud at the end.  If I hadn't already been standing, I'd have stood up to join them! 

• Like 11

Yes, I saw Saturday's Alice and would like Beatriz Stix-Brunell to be partnered with Vadim Muntagirov more, they look so good together, tall and willowy, enjoyed a surprise chance to see William Bracewell as the Caterpillar too, and couldn't help noticing Melissa Hamilton and Matthew Ball dancing together in the Waltz.

• Like 3